Source for pump, hoses and all else necessary for sluggish top on 1970 Chrysler 300.

There is a company that advertises in Hemmings Motor News every month; look for them in the Chrysler/Mopar section.

But, if you need a pump, the one used on your '70 is the same that was used for the next 20 years. I replaced the bad one in my '70 from one in a '98 in a junkyard. I paid 20 bucks for it. Works like a champ!

To take this a step further, pretty much any American convertible from the late '50s (when they switched from 6 volt to 12 volts) until the early-mid '90s should work. The only major exception I know of is the full sized GM cars from the '70s that had the scissor top mechanism.

I suspect that the late '90s-2000s ones are the same hydraulic system, they just changed the way the top switch is wired so they aren't a direct replacement.

Yes, now that you say it, that's what it sounds like. Can you offer any more insights on updating the lines and cylinders? Where should I look for those parts? I've yet to lay eyes on the cylinders and lines but have always worried about a line bursting and the resulting mess.

Check with these people. They have everything you may need. I bought new cylinders and lines from them for my '66 300 convertible:

DODGE CHRYSLER PLYMOUTH PARTS - Dodge and Chrysler Convertible Top Lift Cylinders - Page 1 - Convertible Service

Here is a video of the results:

I doubt it's ever been lubed. I always do keep it running and even try to increase the rpms. I bet it's a combination of tired issues that need attention.

When you remove your rear seat, if there is any fluid on the floorboard, you have a leak in the system somewhere. Mine was in the pump itself.

Back