Speakers

zapcan59

Reaction score
I've got some new in the box Pioneer Tune Up speakers, I bought at a yard sale that I was going to sell online. I'm thinking of using them. Has anyone ever used these in a convertible? I believe they mount on the windshield pillar.

I've got some new in the box Pioneer Tune Up speakers, I bought at a yard sale that I was going to sell online. I'm thinking of using them. Has anyone ever used these in a convertible? I believe they mount on the windshield pillar.

Got a picture....?

Don't do it.

First, those are old speakers that were made back in the eighties. Speakers aren't like fine wine... They don't age well, especially in a car. They probably weren't all that good to begin with.

Second and more importantly, when those speakers crap out, you'll be stuck with whatever holes you had to put in the A (windshield) pillar trim. That's one of those "convertible only" pieces that you will have a real hard time finding good ones and they will cost $$.

One other thing... the same goes for the rear door panel/arm rest. Even harder to find.

Here's a link... to some ideas. Do a search here and you may find more.

http://www.forcbodiesonly.com/mopar-forum/showthread.php?12786-Convertible-speakers

How the heck would you mount those to the A-piller?
DRILL holes into the piller?
Duct tape?
Mighty Putty?

I made foam lined plywood boxes for the speakers in my 65 Coronet convertible, covered with carpet. Then added RCA connectors and 10 feet of lead so I can remove them or place them anywhere in or around the car. Never cut/drilled anything.

How the heck would you mount those to the A-piller?
DRILL holes into the piller?
Duct tape?
Mighty Putty?
The speakers have a mounting bracket & the pillars already have factory holes so there would be no alterations.

PTU.jpg

BTW, those are 8 ohm speakers. Typically a car stereo uses 4 ohm speakers.

It won't hurt anything, but just don't expect any volume.

Not sure I agree, I've got some vintage Gibson & Fender amps that still sound great.
Don't do it.

First, those are old speakers that were made back in the eighties. Speakers aren't like fine wine... They don't age well, especially in a car. They probably weren't all that good to begin with.

Second and more importantly, when those speakers crap out, you'll be stuck with whatever holes you had to put in the A (windshield) pillar trim. That's one of those "convertible only" pieces that you will have a real hard time finding good ones and they will cost $$.

One other thing... the same goes for the rear door panel/arm rest. Even harder to find.

Here's a link... to some ideas. Do a search here and you may find more.

http://www.forcbodiesonly.com/mopar-forum/showthread.php?12786-Convertible-speakers

Think I'll do more research, back when were young I guess we were happy to have tunes. I thought the coolest thing was some kind of Reverb switch my Dad had in his 65 Monaco, then came the Pioneer super tuner 8 track, didn't matter you had to fast forward forever to hear a song again or it would click to the next channel, then nothing. Actually I still have that somewhere, do they make a CD adaptor for that? LOL
Seriously hope you get them mounted if not on the pillars but somewhere else in the car .:eek:s_dancing2:

Not sure I agree, I've got some vintage Gibson & Fender amps that still sound great.

Your vintage amps have a much better speaker and haven't been subjected to life inside a car. Blazing hot sun etc. Gotta compare apples to apples.

Besides that, are you sure that the speakers in your amps are the originals? There's a pretty good business in reconing vintage amplifier speakers....

Those speakers might be fine.... IMHO, having been through trying to up the sound quality in my own convertible, you would be better off looking at some other options.

Think I'll do more research, back when were young I guess we were happy to have tunes. I thought the coolest thing was some kind of Reverb switch my Dad had in his 65 Monaco, then came the Pioneer super tuner 8 track, didn't matter you had to fast forward forever to hear a song again or it would click to the next channel, then nothing. Actually I still have that somewhere, do they make a CD adaptor for that? LOL

I think 8 track players came with a match book to jam in it to make the tape play!

The Pioneer speakers were never out of the box, that's why I was going to try them, if something better comes along, no harm done. The Gibson amp was my Dad's from new & has the original Jensen, & I know the Fender amps history too.
Your vintage amps have a much better speaker and haven't been subjected to life inside a car. Blazing hot sun etc. Gotta compare apples to apples.

Besides that, are you sure that the speakers in your amps are the originals? There's a pretty good business in reconing vintage amplifier speakers....

Those speakers might be fine.... IMHO, having been through trying to up the sound quality in my own convertible, you would be better off looking at some other options.

I loved my 8track Barry White ,The three degrees ,the eagles oh yea:icon_sunny:

Back