Speedometer cable install

jtalberts

Reaction score
For some reason, the owner of the car I purchased said the speedo didn't work and that he couldn't find the cable on the car. Luckily I had the parts car to take a look at and found that my new car didn't have a cable AT ALL. I went and took the parts car cable and have now installed it. So I have this question. Is it really as simple as just getting the square head of the cable lined up on both sides and tightening it down? Like I said before, this is my first attempt at working on an old car and everything being so mechanical just throws me off. I am a network engineer by trade and everything really being so simple and mechanical just amazes me.

My speedometer is getting very noisy so I suspect the cable is bad. The needle jumps, floats, stalls and everything while making a loud whirring noise. What year was your car jtalberts? I've replaced speedo cables on other cars but I'm afraid to start messing with my 48 year old dash and everything in my 66 Newport. I don't want to break anything!

My speedometer is getting very noisy so I suspect the cable is bad. The needle jumps, floats, stalls and everything while making a loud whirring noise. What year was your car jtalberts? I've replaced speedo cables on other cars but I'm afraid to start messing with my 48 year old dash and everything in my 66 Newport. I don't want to break anything!
He says cable. I say speedometer. Get back to us.

Posted via Topify on Android

If it turns out to be the speedometer be sure to get a factory service manual which will give directions for removal.

Since the score is something like 3 - 0 now your asking for updates for number 1...... I love it.
However I am surprised at you implying replace the speedometer instead of lubricating a cable.

My vote is the speedometer, after 40+ years the lube gums up or dust or who knows what.

I have done the cable on a couple cars just to have it still be a problem. On my Barracuda the needle was bounding so bad it finaly stuck went to max speed and broke. On my daily driver Polara the needle parks at 20 and will only move if you bang on the dash pad.

Alan

Since the score is something like 3 - 0 now your asking for updates for number 1...... I love it.
However I am surprised at you implying replace the speedometer instead of lubricating a cable.
I am learning that these speedometers are the culprit more often than the cable.
Of course you always start with the cable and then cross your fingers.

No......never lubricated a cable, never had one go bad, never had to replace a speedometer. Once again your luck theory is wrong

Thanks, guys. I will try and lubricate the cable as soon as possible. We're under snow already so probably won't be for a while. If it is the cluster, I'll probably just try and disconnect the cable anyway to get rid of the noise until I can hunt down a speedometer. I have been using an app on my phone in the meantime anyway since the speedo hasn't been accurate. Speeding tickets will only take money away from fixing things :)

To throw fuel on the fire, I am guessing the Original Owner disconnected the speedometer cable because the speedo was toast. I took the existing one out and apart and the mechanism was destroyed in the back. Luckily I had a parts car for the spare.

Has anyone ever put ah couple dropz of 3-in-1 oil in that little cotton ball at the 12 o'clock position of the cable connector at the back of the speedo to solve these problemz 'sidez me?

Back