Speedometer cable install

At this point in my life the only thing that will get me to stand on my head are a pair of underage drugged out Asian twin sisters in schoolgirl outfits, high heels, and riding crops.
So I ain't standing on my head anymore...

Posted via Topify on Android

I got to drive one day last week when it was in the 50's here, still have my speedometer noise. I'm looking at some parts catalogs for a new cable (incase a lube doesn't do the job) and I see a 63'' option, and a 83'' option. Both say for automatic trans, no cruise. How do you know which one? I guess I could buy both and return the one that I don't use. Seems like a hassle though.

Had to service a speedo last year and there is one thing you can do that seems to resolve most bouncing needles. The mechanism for needle operation is magnetic attraction between a drum and a spinning magnetic rotor. Lack of lube or a gummy mechanism puts a load on the pivots that can't be overcome at certain revolutions. Lightly spray the back of the unit with electro clean to remove dust and grime. Use the nozzle tube that comes with the cleaner. Spray sparingly to keep cleaner off plastics and painted surfaces. Lighter fluid is less reactive and also works very well. Lightly blow dry and the apply WD40 lightly on all pivot points using a sharp tooth pick dipped in WD40. Voila. To test your results chuck up an allen key in your cordless drill and spin the cable boss on the back of the speedometer from low to high speed and observe the needles movement. If it moves smoothly and holds with various drill speeds job's done. If not look to the speedo gear in the tranny or a cable that's dry or curved too tightly. Use only dry lubricants like graphite on speedo cables.

Had to service a speedo last year and there is one thing you can do that seems to resolve most bouncing needles. The mechanism for needle operation is magnetic attraction between a drum and a spinning magnetic rotor. Lack of lube or a gummy mechanism puts a load on the pivots that can't be overcome at certain revolutions. Lightly spray the back of the unit with electro clean to remove dust and grime. Use the nozzle tube that comes with the cleaner. Spray sparingly to keep cleaner off plastics and painted surfaces. Lighter fluid is less reactive and also works very well. Lightly blow dry and the apply WD40 lightly on all pivot points using a sharp tooth pick dipped in WD40. Voila. To test your results chuck up an allen key in your cordless drill and spin the cable boss on the back of the speedometer from low to high speed and observe the needles movement. If it moves smoothly and holds with various drill speeds job's done. If not look to the speedo gear in the tranny or a cable that's dry or curved too tightly. Use only dry lubricants like graphite on speedo cables.

WOW so much information around here. My mind is blown.

mind_blown.gif

Thank you Yatzee

I haven't taken anything apart yet, but since the weather has warmed up my speedometer noise has magically gone away =/

Thanks for this old thread, I am having the speedo noise problem on my 66 Monaco and will use some of these suggestions.

Back