Starter/Battery Positive Wire (and Related)

bajajoaquin

Reaction score
One of the things I'm trying to get done this weekend is replace the wires to my starter. I bought a new one, and looking under my hood, I see that my wire is about the same size as the one that is in there (original?), but the cable is wrapped up in fabric with a couple other wires.

{-sm}_5.jpg

What do these other wires go to? Until I figured that out, I was just going to disconnect the old wire, and route the new wire along side it. If there's no problem with the idea, I was going to cut the old bundling, and wrap the new wire up with these others.

I'm not screwing something up, am I?

{-sm}_5.jpg

there is no problem with routing the wire with the other wires, and you wont be screwing it up

Thank you.

Once I got under the car and yanked the starter (they didn't leave too much extra room, did they?) I could see that it's the starter and solenoid wires wrapped together. I'll pull them out and re-wrap.

Or I will once the rain stops. It's not supposed to rain in the summer in San Diego!

Ok. FIRST things first. Do you have an FSM for your year and model?? This will make your life much easier. I don't know what car you have but I recently completed on my car what it is your are wanting to do (replaced the batt cable & fusible link and a few other wires). I really think you should grab that FSM before diving into this.

Yes, I have one. Unfortunately, it doesn't spell out details like that. I looked.

But I admit, it was mostly impatience. I was frustrated because new parts weren't just like old parts, and it started to rain, which it hasn't done since I've lived in Southern California in August (which is since 1977).

The manual doesn't spell out details like whether the collar on the alternator needs to be a certain length, or what wire is wrapped with another wire. They must figure that any idiot can figure that out. Unfortunately, I'm not just any idiot.

If not for the rain delay, I would have been on track today. As it is, I got most of my stuff done, but the starter isn't hooked up. I'll do that tomorrow morning when I put on the new cable.

Yes, I have one. Unfortunately, it doesn't spell out details like that. I looked.

But I admit, it was mostly impatience. I was frustrated because new parts weren't just like old parts, and it started to rain, which it hasn't done since I've lived in Southern California in August (which is since 1977).

The manual doesn't spell out details like whether the collar on the alternator needs to be a certain length, or what wire is wrapped with another wire. They must figure that any idiot can figure that out. Unfortunately, I'm not just any idiot.

If not for the rain delay, I would have been on track today. As it is, I got most of my stuff done, but the starter isn't hooked up. I'll do that tomorrow morning when I put on the new cable.
Odd. The wire schematics in your FSM should spell out what wire is what and so on and so forth, you just need to trace them under the hood as best you can which I know isn't easy.

Back