Starter relay ?????

Timmayy

Reaction score
So I'm stocking up on simple small extra parts to keep in my wife's 67 Fury wagon for emergencies. Where can I find a good quality starter relay? I don't want to get the generic Chinese crap from my local parts store. I just don't have any luck there. It seems that every time I want decent quality, I have to order online somewhere even though the price is more. I'd rather pay more for dependability.

Thanks

I might have a NORS one let me look. AT or MT?

Think I have this one older FILKO
1693227781574.png

So I'm stocking up on simple small extra parts to keep in my wife's 67 Fury wagon for emergencies. Where can I find a good quality starter relay? I don't want to get the generic Chinese crap from my local parts store. I just don't have any luck there. It seems that every time I want decent quality, I have to order online somewhere even though the price is more. I'd rather pay more for dependability.

Thanks
IMHO, rather than keep a spare relay in the car, you can short a bad relay with a screwdriver and start the car that way.

Make sure the car is in park, turn the ignition key on, double check that it's in park, put the screwdriver against the large terminal from the battery and the screw terminal next to it, and reach over to work the throttle if need be.

I've done it with a quarter in a pinch, although the quarter gets a little hot if you do it for long.

IMHO, rather than keep a spare relay in the car, you can short a bad relay with a screwdriver and start the car that way.

Make sure the car is in park, turn the ignition key on, double check that it's in park, put the screwdriver against the large terminal from the battery and the screw terminal next to it, and reach over to work the throttle if need be.

I've done it with a quarter in a pinch, although the quarter gets a little hot if you do it for long.
I've done that before in the past. Understand that this is my wife's car. She will not attempt that. If the relay goes, I will end up putting a new one on for her.

Timmayy,
If Ray / HalifaxHops does not have one, since he was first to answer you,
I have two dozen (24) of them *** N.O.S. *** U.S.A. made ***
NOT expensive at all —- Gold Cadmium, also, of course, for good looking, too…..
Yours, Craig…..

^^^ Ray / HalifaxHops ^^^,
That one you have illustrated / photographed, is a M / T, but then you probably know that….
Yours, Craig……

I've done that before in the past. Understand that this is my wife's car. She will not attempt that. If the relay goes, I will end up putting a new one on for her.
I'm not one for playing mechanic in a parking lot so bare with me.

Yep, wife's car and she's going to call you and you have to decide if the car comes home (always my choice) or she continues on with it. I don't know about your wife, but having been married a couple times now, I'd bet that there would be the "yea, but is it going to start later?" conversation that you probably won't win. In other words, you'll be driving her Fury while she drives off in your vehicle.

That said, I've been driving these cars and owned a ton of them back when they were worn out used cars. Many thousands of miles in all weather. Like ballast resistors, I think I've had two starter relays go bad... and they were in cars that were bought for less than $300 and my time with them was just before they were scrapped. I've lost a lot more starters. So there's other parts I'd carry first... But really a AAA card might be the best thing.

If you want to carry one, go for it... I'm just giving some advice based on my experiences.

I'm not one for playing mechanic in a parking lot so bare with me.

Yep, wife's car and she's going to call you and you have to decide if the car comes home (always my choice) or she continues on with it. I don't know about your wife, but having been married a couple times now, I'd bet that there would be the "yea, but is it going to start later?" conversation that you probably won't win. In other words, you'll be driving her Fury while she drives off in your vehicle.

That said, I've been driving these cars and owned a ton of them back when they were worn out used cars. Many thousands of miles in all weather. Like ballast resistors, I think I've had two starter relays go bad... and they were in cars that were bought for less than $300 and my time with them was just before they were scrapped. I've lost a lot more starters. So there's other parts I'd carry first... But really a AAA card might be the best thing.

If you want to carry one, go for it... I'm just giving some advice based on my experiences.
Trust me, I've owned many old Mopars throughout my life also. I hear ya when you say the relays are pretty dependable. It's just my anxiety talking plus they don't take up much room.

I tracked down some old parts store ones on eBay because I want them to look correct. I keep a new one in my tool bag for the road only because I had it.

Alan

^^^ Ray / HalifaxHops ^^^,
That one you have illustrated / photographed, is a M / T, but then you probably know that….
Yours, Craig……
Thanks did not catch that. OK then I have none. Glad you have it covered then Craig!

I have changed these in parking lots all over North America. A screw driver or a cheapo will get you out of a jam until you find a good one. NOS is the best. Good luck.

Back