Steering Box - Help!

Guess I'll find out one of these days, in the mean time waiting to see if steer and gear steps up and maybe it is just a simple mistake.

Having been a small business owner myself..... The biggest issue is getting good help. The work "ethic" that was the norm is now hard to find. You can blame politics all you want, but we as a nation, have shot ourselves in the foot and are taking aim at the other foot as we speak.

Everyone wants something for nothing. Want an education in people? Do some job interviews sitting on the hiring side of the desk. I got some stories....

But I digress....

I looked up the company profile and it looks like they have about 35 employees and gross about $5 million a year.That's small enough that this should not have happened, but big enough that the guys in the front office won't be able to catch everything.

The shop here has really screwed up. The steering box was obviously bad when shipped. **** happens... Anything could have happened from the tech not doing the job right to the guy on the dock mixing up the incoming cores with the outgoing rebuilds. A burred up output shaft is the first clue that something went wrong. I could understand if the nick was there, but the splines were dressed down with a file. That's still a usable part, although I would be surprised that they would use it on a "firm feel" steering box that someone is paying a premium for.

IMHO, the shop is trying to do the right thing. I'd bet that the steering box was dropped or otherwise mishandled by someone that didn't know or didn't care. They chipped the spline and knocked the valve body out of alignment and put it back on the shelf. That goes back to the issue of "not getting good help".

I would give them the chance to make it right. They've apologized and offered to correct the mistake. It sucks that it happened and it's a black eye for them that may stop others here from ordering from them. It's easy for us to sit back and criticize, but it's another to run a small business dealing with customers and employees.

Big_John, while I can understand and agree with some of the points you made there are just some things that are unacceptable to me. I admit I am a pretty anal and I have high standards, but I am also a very fair person especially when I do business. More often than not I give people/businesses the benefit of the doubt and in so doing over-look many things even if the outcome is not to my advantage.

In regards to this steering box issue;

(Strike #1) I contacted Craig about the
damage to the worm gears splines and mentioned I did not want to force it on for fear that it might ruin my couplers splines. He replied that it would not ruin my splines as the blind spline prevents that from happening. He said I may just have to tap it on, but I would not ruin anything. So as he suggested I tapped it on. I have to say it took more than just a tap, but it eventually moved into place.

(Strike #2) Once the coupler was on, I was unable to take it back off. I knew at that point that
my couplers splines were damaged and was more perturbed now.... but I thought since I would not be changing the box out again and wouldn't need to remove the coupler I'd over-look it and proceed with the installation.

(Strike #3) After installing the box I find there's a
1/4" gap between the couplers shaft and where the rag joint connect. I didn't have that space when I removed the box... and since the splines were messed up and the coupler couldn't move at all I was left with this 1/4" gap. I figured since the rag joint was solid rubber and had some give I could just cinch down on the two nuts and force the two surfaces together. Though I was able to connect the two surfaces I wasn't 100% confident it was correct and some other issue could occur down the road.

Moving on - giving the benefit of the doubt that nothing else would go wrong, I over-looked the 3 strikes and went ahead and buckled up the rest of the suspension; LCA, strut bar, tortion bar, rotors, calipers, center link, tie-rods & pitman arm. After I had completed the installation I wanted to check the feel and for the proper steering alignment. I would checked for the number of turns lock to lock, cut it in half and check if my wheels were centered.

(Strike #4) While rotating the steering it felt good, but I heard a hissing sound. I didn’t think anything of it at first and continued testing rotations lock to lock. I got out to check my front wheels and to see if I could locate the hissing noise and I saw a big puddle of steering fluid on the floor and all over my newly rebuilt suspension....
LEAKING so tell me… what would you be feeling at this point?

Realizing the box was leaking I was livid to say the least. I called Craig and got his voice mail so left a message for him to call me back. I also sent him a message via face book messenger (which is usually responded to within 3 minutes because it is received via cell phone), but no response. After 4 hours with no response I sent him an email with photos. It wasn’t until
5-1/2 hours later that I got a response - NOT a phone call, but an email. The response was, “from the photo it looks like the valve has been moved which is weird. Just call me tomorrow

When we finally spoke the next day he again said from the photo it looked like the valve assembly had been moved. I told him I had no reason to remove the assembly and if he’s questioning the chipped paint as his thought the assembly had been moved, the paint probably came off while I was wiping off all the fluid. I said the box wasn’t coated with POR15, it’s just plain spray paint and there’s not even any primer underneath. To that he apologized and told me he’d send me a call tag to return it and once received he’d fix it and send it back out the same day.

I obviously had to remove the box so I did so the following day. It’s a good thing I didn’t have to remove everything to remove it, but it still was enough; tie-rods, center link, tortion bar and pitman arm because the LCA was in the way and I didn't want to take it back out. Over the weekend I gave it some serious thought as to whether I wanted to take another chance with their box. During the initial 3-strike process I kept him abreast with what I was experiencing and during those communications did he apologize for sending me the unit with a damaged worm gear OR suggest I send it back so he could take care of it NOT even offer some type of discount or compensation… nothing! Heck, Is my time and labor not worth anything??? I thought do I really want to do business with this person? In conclusion I decided I'd had enough and didn't want the box even if the issues were resolved - it was too late.
The whole debacle set me back 3 weeks and probably 3-4 more before I get it running. I was to show the car this past weekend and could not, therefore I lost the registration fee money too AND I still have to put another box back in…

**** happens…. Simple mistake... Give them another chance…. Look again, I actually gave 3, but it was the 4th strike that pushed me over the edge and I honestly can’t bring myself to trust in them. Same as Saforwardlook with his experience with Firm Feel - he gave 3 chances and gave up. I wish this never occurred for both our sakes, but it’s best that I move on.

As to whether others decide to use them or not… Well, I’m taking the bullet for Firm Feel... Someone else can take the bullet for Steer & Gear. I believe all things happen for a reason. Perhaps this was the type of situation that needed to come to fruition for S&G to take notice they need to step up their game. They need to understand that Social media plays a large roll in their companies bottom line and if they don’t want it to go flat they’re going to need to make some changes.

Last edited:
Big_John, while I can understand and agree with some of the points you made there are just some things that are unacceptable to me. I admit I am a pretty anal and I have high standards, but I am also a very fair person especially when I do business. More often than not I give people/businesses the benefit of the doubt and in so doing over-look many things even if the outcome is not to my advantage.

damage to the worm gears splines and mentioned I did not want to force it on for fear that it might ruin my couplers splines. He replied that it would not ruin my splines as the blind spline prevents that from happening. He said I may just have to tap it on, but I would not ruin anything. So as he suggested I tapped it on. I have to say it took more than just a tap, but it eventually moved into place.

(Strike #2) Once the coupler was on, I was unable to take it back off. I knew at that point that
my couplers splines were damaged and was more perturbed now.... but I thought since I would not be changing the box out again and wouldn't need to remove the coupler I'd over-look it and proceed with the installation.

1/4" gap between the couplers shaft and where the rag joint connect. I didn't have that space when I removed the box... and since the splines were messed up and the coupler couldn't move at all I was left with this 1/4" gap. I figured since the rag joint was solid rubber and had some give I could just cinch down on the two nuts and force the two surfaces together. Though I was able to connect the two surfaces I wasn't 100% confident it was correct and some other issue could occur down the road.

Moving on - giving the benefit of the doubt that nothing else would go wrong, I over-looked the 3 strikes and went ahead and buckled up the rest of the suspension; LCA, strut bar, tortion bar, rotors, calipers, center link, tie-rods & pitman arm. After I had completed the installation I wanted to check the feel and for the proper steering alignment. I would checked for the number of turns lock to lock, cut it in half and check if my wheels were centered.

(Strike #4) While rotating the steering it felt good, but I heard a hissing sound. I didn’t think anything of it at first and continued testing rotations lock to lock. I got out to check my front wheels and to see if I could locate the hissing noise and I saw a big puddle of steering fluid on the floor and all over my newly rebuilt suspension....

Realizing the box was leaking I was livid to say the least. I called Craig and got his voice mail so left a message for him to call me back. I also sent him a message via face book messenger (which is usually responded to within 3 minutes because it is received via cell phone), but no response. After 4 hours with no response I sent him an email with photos. It wasn’t until
5-1/2 hours later that I got a response - NOT a phone call, but an email. The response was, “from the photo it looks like the valve has been moved which is weird. Just call me tomorrow

When we finally spoke the next day he again said from the photo it looked like the valve assembly had been moved. I told him I had no reason to remove the assembly and if he’s questioning the chipped paint as his thought the assembly had been moved, the paint probably came off while I was wiping off all the fluid. I said the box wasn’t coated with POR15, it’s just plain spray paint and there’s not even any primer underneath. To that he apologized and told me he’d send me a call tag to return it and once received he’d fix it and send it back out the same day.

I obviously had to remove the box so I did so the following day. It’s a good thing I didn’t have to remove everything to remove it, but it still was enough; tie-rods, center link, tortion bar and pitman arm because the LCA was in the way and I didn't want to take it back out. Over the weekend I gave it some serious thought as to whether I wanted to take another chance with their box. During the initial 3-strike process I kept him abreast with what I was experiencing and during those communications did he apologize for sending me the unit with a damaged worm gear OR suggest I send it back so he could take care of it NOT even offer some type of discount or compensation… nothing! Heck, Is my time and labor not worth anything??? I thought do I really want to do business with this person? In conclusion I decided I'd had enough and didn't want the box even if the issues were resolved - it was too late.
The whole debacle set me back 3 weeks and probably 3-4 more before I get it running. I was to show the car this past weekend and could not, therefore I lost the registration fee money too AND I still have to put another box back in…

**** happens…. Simple mistake... Give them another chance…. Look again, I actually gave 3, but it was the 4th strike that pushed me over the edge and I honestly can’t bring myself to trust in them. Same as Saforwardlook with his experience with Firm Feel - he gave 3 chances and gave up. I wish this never occurred for both our sakes, but it’s best that I move on.

As to whether others decide to use them or not… Well, I’m taking the bullet for Firm Feel... Someone else can take the bullet for Steer & Gear. I believe all things happen for a reason. Perhaps this was the type of situation that needed to come to fruition for S&G to take notice they need to step up their game. They need to understand that Social media plays a large roll in their companies bottom line and if they don’t want it to go flat they’re going to need to make some changes.

My situation was actually worse than yours - I had to remove my first original box needing repair due to leaking and not so precise on-center feel, only to end up installing three different boxes from Firm Feel - all of them were junk, and except for the leaking of the original box, I would have been better off to replace the seals in my original one myself and have kept it. Even the final box from Firm Feel was crap, but I had had enough and just gave up. I ended up selling the car eventually. I know of two other friends that have installed Steer & Gear boxes and have been pleased, besides me and at least one of them is more fussy than me even. But with your experience, my confidence in them is shaken. I could only hope that the box you got has the problems it has due to someone dropping it or something similar. It seems Craig's attitude was especially frustating in your case. At least with Firm Feel, they never hesitated to send me another one - but maybe there was a reason for that too - they know they were all junk. I am hoping for a good outcome for you with them now some 8 years after my debacle. After the Firm Feel experience I bought every NOS box I could find, and now have three of them. But that will not last me long with all the cars I have. Keep us posted............................

I understand completely your frustration and I'm not trying to defend Steer and Gear in the least nor am I trying to discredit or argue with you about it. A couple of comments touched a nerve and I felt like tossing my two cents in.

I looked at the pics of the spline and it shows damage to the spline that needed to be addressed before putting the coupler on. He gave you some very bad advice regarding that. Hindsight being 20/20, I think that was the tip off that something was wrong. IMHO, giving the benefit of the doubt to him, I think he didn't realize what the issue was or that the damage to the spline had not been taken care of as part of the rebuild.

Again, my intent was not to get you any more upset and if I did, I humbly apologize.

I understand completely your frustration and I'm not trying to defend Steer and Gear in the least nor am I trying to discredit or argue with you about it. A couple of comments touched a nerve and I felt like tossing my two cents in.

I looked at the pics of the spline and it shows damage to the spline that needed to be addressed before putting the coupler on. He gave you some very bad advice regarding that. Hindsight being 20/20, I think that was the tip off that something was wrong. IMHO, giving the benefit of the doubt to him, I think he didn't realize what the issue was or that the damage to the spline had not been taken care of as part of the rebuild.

Again, my intent was not to get you any more upset and if I did, I humbly apologize.

Big_John, to be clear I never once thought you were defending S&G or trying to discredit or argue with me so no apology needed. I understand that you were a business owner yourself and was speaking from that side of the fence. Business owners may not have 100% control over what goes on in their company, but they do have 100% control to make ensure their customers are getting what is advertised, what they pay for and that they are satisfied.

My REAL beef was not so much with the damaged gear or what transpired because of it (Strikes 1,2,3) since I did over-look them. What got me in the end was the company did not admit ownership to those issues or offer to fix it. It wasn't until they struck out with a leaking box which deemed it unusable that the offer to take it back and fix it was made.

As a previous business owner yourself I'm sure you can attest that customers and the referrals they bring are the bread and butter of any business. In my situation I don't feel I was deemed valuable enough to be taken care of. It very well could have been they didn't have another box to swap out with me and felt since I wasn't making any waves it was best to just keep quiet. So what if they had ONE unhappy customer, they made a sale. As good business practice a simple remedy from the beginning could have been to offer to rebuild my box free of any shipping fees. Having been in business for 39 years one would think such a resolve should have been a no brainer.

So Big_John, it's all good and I did/do appreciate your responses. It's time to move on - there's no need to beat the horse any longer.. It is what it is...

Last edited:
Big_John, to be clear I never once thought you were defending S&G or trying to discredit or argue with me so no apology needed. I understand that you were a business owner yourself and was speaking from that side of the fence. Business owners may not have 100% control over what goes on in their company, but they do have 100% control to make ensure their customers are getting what is advertised, what they pay for and that they are satisfied.

My REAL beef was not so much with the damaged gear or what transpired because of it (Strikes 1,2,3) since I did over-look them. What got me in the end was the company did not admit ownership to those issues or offer to fix it. It wasn't until they struck out with a leaking box which was deemed it unusable that the offer to take it back and fix it was made.

As a previous business owner yourself I'm sure you can attest that customers and the referrals they bring are the bread and butter of any business. In my situation I don't feel I was deemed valuable enough to be taken care of. It very well could have been they didn't have another box to swap out with me and felt since I wasn't making any waves it was best to just keep quiet. So what if they had ONE unhappy customer, they made a sale. As good business practice a simple remedy from the beginning could have been to offer to rebuild my box free of any shipping fees. Having been in business for 39 years one would think such a resolve should have been a no brainer.

So Big_John, it's all good and I did/do appreciate your responses. It's time to move on - there's no need to beat the horse any longer.. It is what it is...

You are quite right about referrals and taking care of customers. In our business, we counted on repeat business and taking care of any issues was a priority. Fortunately, we had a very good reputation in the industry and lots of happy customers.... Of course, some people will never be happy and there were a couple customers that we told to take their business elsewhere. Those are other stories that are best told over a couple beers.

I read a bit about Steer & Gear and Craig is a grandson of the founders. That may explain a lot. Usually the third generation owners have no clue of what it was like to start the business or what the lean years were like. The business was handed to them on a silver platter. I've seen it time and again... The first generation gives everything, the second saw what happened and kept things going... Then the third generation comes along and runs the business into the ground.

Ah well... I no longer have the heartburn involved in owning a business... I have the stories... LOL.

I should have read this thread before today. During a motor swap on our 63 Sport Fury we decided to change the power steering box-it was getting sloppy driving straight down the road. We considered the Firm Feel and un-obtainable HD police boxes and finally decided on a Lares box because we could get it sooner than the rest. Now I'm wondering if I did the right thing. Anyone know about Lares Corporation? Also, what would happen if we swapped from a Federal to a Saginaw style power steering pump. Any difference in road feel or steering? Thanks for advice and expertise.

Last edited:
I should have read this thread before today. During a motor swap on our 63 Sport Fury we decided to change the power steering box-it was getting sloppy driving straight down the road. We considered the Firm Feel and un-obtainable HD police boxes and finally decided on a Lares box because we could get it sooner than the rest. Now I'm wondering if I did the right thing. Anyone know about Lares Corporation? Also, what would happen if we swapped from a Federal to a Saginaw style power steering pump. Any difference in road feel or steering? Thanks for advice and expertise.

I'm no expert by any means and haven't had any experience with any other mfg. other than the stock box that came with the car. That said, would my 2-cents may not be worth the breath it takes to say it lol!

What I can offer is some information I found while googling. For our Mopars Rock Auto supplies; A1 Cardone, ATSCO, BBB, AC Delco & Lares. The brands other auto parts stores supply such Autozone, O'Reilly's, Napa & Advance Auto Parts may very well be the same or if you're lucky you'll get an OEM rebuilt box. BUT, getting a rebuilt box from any of these places IMHO is like throwing dice. I imagine those boxes are rebuilt by a human assembly line and depending on the day, the hour, the person and the mood of the person would be my best guess at how good a job will be done.

I've come to find that there arn't many companies out there that rebuild boxes with the additional firmness folks are desiring. Most of the boxes rebuilt are done to OEM standards and as you know the steering sensitivity of the era were pretty much "resistance free" - pinky finger turning with no feel of the road whatsoever. Though perfect for parking, highway speeds would be a bit sketchy. One company I checked with rebuilds to OEM standards, but can change the valves to give firmer steering feel. Another thing one needs to take into consideration is that not all gear boxes are alike. I've read on some forums that the gear ratios between some manufacturers are different as well. So even if you get a box for your same make/model car, depending on the mfg the ratio may not be exactly the same as what came with it.

I'm having my own box rebuilt so I know what I'm getting and not a core from some other year, make, model vehicle.

I'm going with Firm Feel this time around. From their web-site description and speaking with them they do a bit more than just replace worn parts and install new seals. They machine the cases for roller bearing sector supports, and the worm gear assemblies are resized. The box is then fitted with Firm Feel's exclusive reaction springs, ranging in three steps from slightly firmer than the OE police box to two steps firmer yet, depending on your needs. All boxes are bench tested and shipped ready to install.

The real test will be the final result after I've installed it and go for a good test drive. I should get it back in a week and hopefully I'll get to install it next weekend.

Don't know squat about PS pumps so can't help .005 cents there - best of luck!

SF-66TC- The 63 Sport Fury is going back in with a Lares Box and our rebuilt Federal pump. I'm really looking a little more long-term to my 66 New Yorker coupe. Of course I don't expect my car to have the handling of a modern sports car, but I would like a bit more road feel. Could you please post how your Firm Feel box works out? Also any advice about box removal and installation. Thanks in advance. Doug

I'm not doing anything till somebody chronicles their Formal steering box replacement. And not while the car is apart in a million pieces.

Ebooger did a article in Mopar Action about reduced pressure in /6 Saginaw pumps, turns out there was more shims (washers) on regulator bolt reducing the tension on the spring letting it lift at a lower pressure and in turn reducing the overboosted feel, or in the case of /6 not stalling the engine at idle. If anybody wants to do this would not be a bad idea to read the article, I believe he said shimming .060 would be a good place to start.

Ebooger did a article in Mopar Action about reduced pressure in /6 Saginaw pumps, turns out there was more shims (washers) on regulator bolt reducing the tension on the spring letting it lift at a lower pressure and in turn reducing the overboosted feel, or in the case of /6 not stalling the engine at idle. If anybody wants to do this would not be a bad idea to read the article, I believe he said shimming .060 would be a good place to start.
http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/beep/PUMP_IT_DOWN-re-v1.4.pdf

Chrysler actually used Saginaws as well as the Federal style pumps, so I will head our to the local pull-a-part a -part to find some parts after we finish our Fury engine swap. I saw the procedure on You Tube and you can actually add more shims with the pump mounted in the car without removing the hoses or mounts. It's added on the to-do list.

You are quite right about referrals and taking care of customers. In our business, we counted on repeat business and taking care of any issues was a priority. Fortunately, we had a very good reputation in the industry and lots of happy customers.... Of course, some people will never be happy and there were a couple customers that we told to take their business elsewhere. Those are other stories that are best told over a couple beers.

I read a bit about Steer & Gear and Craig is a grandson of the founders. That may explain a lot. Usually the third generation owners have no clue of what it was like to start the business or what the lean years were like. The business was handed to them on a silver platter. I've seen it time and again... The first generation gives everything, the second saw what happened and kept things going... Then the third generation comes along and runs the business into the ground.

Ah well... I no longer have the heartburn involved in owning a business... I have the stories... LOL.

FRIGGIN' UNBELIEVABLE!! I guess I gots to do a beat down on that horse!
Per UPS tracking S&G received the box back on Wed 2/17 @ 11:11am. Since I hadn't seen the refund post to my credit card I sent an email requesting when it would be processed. With no response after two days I sent a msg via FB messenger and got a reply within 10 minutes that Craig was at lunch and would call me back when he returns. So Craig calls me back and says they got the box back, but they see the valve assembly was moved and therefore could ONLY give me back 1/2 the cost WTF!!! I went ballistic!!!! He then said he would get his superior on the phone.

The supe gets on the line and tells me he has the unit sitting on the bench in front of him and sees that the valve assembly has been moved. He states the paint is chipped off and there is a gap between the assembly and the base and that is why it was leaking. He again asks me how the assembly came loose. I told him if it's loose that's the way it came because I did not touch it nor why would I have had reason to. He said the box definitely didn't leave their facility like that. He said the bolts were so loose he could unscrew them with his fingers. He stated that before any box leaves the shop the bolts are torqued down and the unit tested for leaks so there was NO WAY I could have received the unit the way it was - someone had to have loosened them. He went on to say the valve assembly could come loose if the unit was dropped and damaged. He followed up his statement by asking if the packaging was damaged - to which I replied NO... I can't believe it... was it a trick question... he got the unit back in the same box so that was pretty stupid to ask that question.

He again asks how the bolts got loose... I replied how he received it is how I received it and again told him what reason would I have to loosen the bolts. His reply was, "well, people do...." which is pissing me off even more. I then asked if he was insinuating I loosened them. He replied No, but someone did and was emphatic the box DID NOT leave their facility the way he received it back.

He then said he'd be happy to fix it and send it back to me free of shipping because he wanted a happy customer and then asked what I wanted to do. I said I didn't want their box and wanted my money back. He then replies that he will take it back, but he will have to charge me a $100 restocking fee!

I then tell him to listen up and started on my STRIKE 1,2,3,4 explanation (see my post #62). I sensed since he had the unit sitting in front of him that when I mentioned the worm gear was damaged his whole attitude changed. I proceeded to tell him I was willing to over-look the first 3 muck ups by going ahead and install the box, but when the box began leaking and was virtually unusable that was the strike out. I told him I kept Craig in the loop from day 1 of the mucked up worm gear providing him with photos and even a video of the leak! he then asked me to hold on...

He probably gave Craig the riot act because Craig came back on the phone apologizes for sending me the unit with a damaged worm gear and tells me they'll issue the full refund.

It's 12 hours since that conversation and I still do not see the refund posted to my account! If I don't get a refund by Monday I'll have visa issue a charge back against them.

If anyone chooses to do business with these guys use extreme caution. Like me, if something goes wrong you could be on your own with your word against theirs. Though the supe I spoke with appeared very knowledgeable, perception is reality and if the grandson of the owners is making these types of screw ups I only see the business spiraling downward. Big_John, I think you're absolutely correct... that third generation is on the verge of running that business into the ground. UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!

Last edited:
If that is what Steer & Gear is now shipping, then they are off my list. Stupid way to run a business. Especially if the guy Craig didn't immediately ask you to send it back at their cost and replace it. So there are no good large scale rebuilders anymore. Just as bad as Firm Feel now I guess....................

If that is what Steer & Gear is now shipping, then they are off my list. Stupid way to run a business. Especially if the guy Craig didn't immediately ask you to send it back at their cost and replace it. So there are no good large scale rebuilders anymore. Just as bad as Firm Feel now I guess....................
Lares did my Box over ten years ago('66 Imp) and they just did my pump (Via Rockauto) No problems whatsoever. Fast turnaround too!

Per UPS tracking S&G received the box back on Wed 2/17 @ 11:11am. Since I hadn't seen the refund post to my credit card I sent an email requesting when it would be processed. With no response after two days I sent a msg via FB messenger and got a reply within 10 minutes that Craig was at lunch and would call me back when he returns. So Craig calls me back and says they got the box back, but they see the valve assembly was moved and therefore could ONLY give me back 1/2 the cost WTF!!! I went ballistic!!!! He then said he would get his superior on the phone.

The supe gets on the line and tells me he has the unit sitting on the bench in front of him and sees that the valve assembly has been moved. He states the paint is chipped off and there is a gap between the assembly and the base and that is why it was leaking. He again asks me how the assembly came loose. I told him if it's loose that's the way it came because I did not touch it nor why would I have had reason to. He said the box definitely didn't leave their facility like that. He said the bolts were so loose he could unscrew them with his fingers. He stated that before any box leaves the shop the bolts are torqued down and the unit tested for leaks so there was NO WAY I could have received the unit the way it was - someone had to have loosened them. He went on to say the valve assembly could come loose if the unit was dropped and damaged. He followed up his statement by asking if the packaging was damaged - to which I replied NO... I can't believe it... was it a trick question... he got the unit back in the same box so that was pretty stupid to ask that question.

He again asks how the bolts got loose... I replied how he received it is how I received it and again told him what reason would I have to loosen the bolts. His reply was, "well, people do...." which is pissing me off even more. I then asked if he was insinuating I loosened them. He replied No, but someone did and was emphatic the box DID NOT leave their facility the way he received it back.

He then said he'd be happy to fix it and send it back to me free of shipping because he wanted a happy customer and then asked what I wanted to do. I said I didn't want their box and wanted my money back. He then replies that he will take it back, but he will have to charge me a $100 restocking fee!

I then tell him to listen up and started on my STRIKE 1,2,3,4 explanation (see my post #62). I sensed since he had the unit sitting in front of him that when I mentioned the worm gear was damaged his whole attitude changed. I proceeded to tell him I was willing to over-looked the first 3 muck ups by going ahead and install the box, but when the box began leaking and was virtually unusable that was the strike out. I told him I kept Craig in the loop from day 1 of the mucked up worm gear providing him with photos and even a video of the leak! he then asked me to hold on...

He probably gave Craig the riot act because Craig came back on the phone like a puppy dog apologizing and tells me they'll issue the full refund.

It's 12 hours since that conversation and I still do not see the refund posted to my account! If I don't get a refund by Monday I'll have visa issue a charge back against them.

If anyone chooses to do business with these guys use extreme caution. Like me, if something goes wrong you could be on your on your own with your word against theirs. Though the supe I spoke with appeared very knowledgeable, perception is reality and if the grandson of the owners is making these types of screw ups I only see the business spiraling downward. Big_John, I think you're absolutely correct... that third generation is on the verge of running that business into the ground. UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!

Very sorry you had to go through all of this. While the supervisor makes it seem that he has faith in his product, he has misplaced faith in his customer relations guy. Glad you stood your ground until they had to relent. Good job. Refunds often take time to process, especially on weekends when refunds might not even get processed at all, so I would not get steamed up yet. Hang in there.

Last edited:

I then tell him to listen up and started on my STRIKE 1,2,3,4 explanation (see my post #62). I sensed since he had the unit sitting in front of him that when I mentioned the worm gear was damaged his whole attitude changed. I proceeded to tell him I was willing to over-looked the first 3 muck ups by going ahead and install the box, but when the box began leaking and was virtually unusable that was the strike out. I told him I kept Craig in the loop from day 1 of the mucked up worm gear providing him with photos and even a video of the leak! he then asked me to hold on...

He probably gave Craig the riot act because Craig came back on the phone like a puppy dog apologizing and tells me they'll issue the full refund.

If anyone chooses to do business with these guys use extreme caution. Like me, if something goes wrong you could be on your on your own with your word against theirs. Though the supe I spoke with appeared very knowledgeable, perception is reality and if the grandson of the owners is making these types of screw ups I only see the business spiraling downward. Big_John, I think you're absolutely correct... that third generation is on the verge of running that business into the ground. UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!

I am so glad you have the CC dispute option to fall back on, at least they will get your money back quickly.

When you told him the spline was damaged, and that got his attention, it makes me wonder if he had seen this box before.

I wonder if it was a customer return that was never checked out, just tossed back on the shelf. The other scenario I could think is he knew the box should not have left their shop with the damaged spline... Like it had been rejected and still got shipped.

i expect they will keep your $$, but you will have a working steering box here in a couple of days show up at your house.

i bet.

sending you another unit hurts WAY less than refunding your cash.

and maybe ol craig gets an R.G.E.

- a resume generating experience.

Back