Steering coupler rag joint?

Wonderwagon

Reaction score
planning ahead from the FSM, I have for 1969, steering gear box has been rebuilt and the front end is in process. I cannot find a rag jointc I see the coupler, in my FSM in the steering sections. clarification anyone

20180105_132912.jpg

I’m not sure what your question is. MOPAR used a coupler. There’s a few NOS units online, but they’re not cheap.

If there is a rag joint/ rubber isolator, such as those found on ebay or the Land Rover substitute that others have used. Where is it found in The FSM, page etc, for as 1969 fury with 383. I included a picture from my body chassis manual previous post. There was another discussion with photo that showed it above the coupler, that connects the steering shaft to the steering box. Photo attached of my car, show's my set up.

20160830_151906.jpg

Nope the rag joint is used in cars from 71 on that have the rubber isolators for body mounts.

Thanks Wolfen, making sure didn't miss something, typing my clarification while you posted.

If there is a rag joint/ rubber isolator, such as those found on ebay or the Land Rover substitute that others have used. Where is it found in The FSM, page etc, for as 1969 fury with 383. I included a picture from my body chassis manual previous post. There was another discussion with photo that showed it above the coupler, that connects the steering shaft to the steering box. Photo attached of my car, show's my set up.

View attachment 161077
Looks just like mine

upload_2018-1-5_16-18-32.jpeg

Alan the latter, which is no rubber isolater; if I am understanding this. thanks

planning ahead from the FSM, I have for 1969, steering gear box has been rebuilt and the front end is in process. I cannot find a rag jointc I see the coupler, in my FSM in the steering sections. clarification anyone

View attachment 161064

With a power steering box, the coupler shown in the FSM should be all you would have. If you are going thru the front end, this would be a good time to take the coupler apart and check its condition. There are still rebuild kits available for about $25. Among others, www.dodgeconnection.com has them. Also a good time to grease the internals of the coupling.

Dave

I remember seeing a write up somewhere on machining a hockey puc as a cheaper way to go.
I didn't know these things are fetching $200 nowadays.
I bought 2 a few years ago for $30/ea. knowing someday I'd need them for my Imperial.

I remember seeing a write up somewhere on machining a hockey puc as a cheaper way to go.
I didn't know these things are fetching $200 nowadays.
I bought 2 a few years ago for $30/ea. knowing someday I'd need them for my Imperial.

Also seen them made out of the sidewall on a 12ply bias truck tire.

Dave

They sell the rubber piece separately. It’s all in the parts manual. I have them all written down at work I think 69 and 70 are the same. As these are used on all cars (or most)it’s not hard to find parts.

Also seen them made out of the sidewall on a 12ply bias truck tire.

Dave
They sell the rubber piece separately. It’s all in the parts manual. I have them all written down at work I think 69 and 70 are the same. As these are used on all cars (or most)it’s not hard to find parts.
There are two different types of rag joints used. The type made of woven cloth and rubber is an earlier style and then from 71 on there is a type of solid rubber which is about 1.5in thick and each mount point (four of) is a drilled through triangle of metal vulcanized into the rubber.

Back