Steering coupling rebuild kits

Agreed - trying to rebuild the couple in the car would be a really big PITA. All I am saying is that rather than going to the trouble of removing the whole column, just remove the coupler...

The issue I see is getting it compressed enough to get the tabs to clear the nubs enough to hold. Then getting clearance to be able to tap the tabs in, you need to alternate sides. I just see this as so much more work and know wonder people have issues with them coming apart.

On most cars the column can be removed inside 30 minutes (once you get the roll pin out)
dash/column cover, 4 screws
roll pin
plug
clip (column shift)
3 nuts

Alan

My column is already dropped so it's a matter of disconnecting the harness and pulling it, no big deal. It'll also give an excuse to give a thorough once over of the whole mechanism which, considering the rats nest I ran into regarding the steering as a whole, is probably a really good idea.

Haha, I thought SO MANY things about this steering job would be the largest PITA until I saw what the tines on the seal retainer on the coupling bent over on the coupling housing. Holy CRAP! I'm going to drink a little before bed.

Just happened to see this homemade tool on FABO.

704a7c26-75b4-4ca5-82b9-092ff86f2377-jpeg.jpg

f8d49875-508b-4989-b995-9eaa8beee807-jpeg.jpg

Show us your home made tools Post #345

Nice one. Managed to get two crappy carpenters clamps on mine.

I had a buddy with one that the lid was always popping off of. Every time we worked on his car I'd mention the lid being off. He'd just whack it back on and call it good but then next time I'd see it it'd be flopping around again. What damage can you cause by doing that. He drove that beast forever and nothing ever happened. I sure used to tell him it looked dangerous and fix it. He never did. Nothing ever happened so was he just lucky ???

I had a buddy with one that the lid was always popping off of. Every time we worked on his car I'd mention the lid being off. He'd just whack it back on and call it good but then next time I'd see it it'd be flopping around again. What damage can you cause by doing that. He drove that beast forever and nothing ever happened. I sure used to tell him it looked dangerous and fix it. He never did. Nothing ever happened so was he just lucky ???

Near as I can tell, the only REAL worry would be crap getting in the housing compromising the grease and wearing down internal parts prematurely.

Near as I can tell, the only REAL worry would be crap getting in the housing compromising the grease and wearing down internal parts prematurely.
Ok cool. It just freaked me out that water dirt etc etc would get in there. I bought one of those paper clip deals that hold the top on & put it on mine. I just move it from car to car as I trade horses.

It'll probably spend the rest of its life now on my 69 as I'll never sell it...

Ok cool. It just freaked me out that water dirt etc etc would get in there. I bought one of those paper clip deals that hold the top on & put it on mine. I just move it from car to car as I trade horses.

It'll probably spend the rest of its life now on my 69 as I'll never sell it...
I got that clip as well just in case. Those tabs ... they certainly weren't shooting for "over engineering" in that instance.

Stupid Moog.
So, I finally got everything from the steering wheel to the box together. The cap popped off the coupling while I was trying to put the clip on so that had to come back out and be re done. All good.
So I decided I'd build my center link up. Moog mispackaged (or Rock Auto pulled the ole switcheroo) and I wound up with three outer tierods and one inner... lucky for me I found d this out exactly three days after the return time was up... so I have to order another before I get any further.
Oh well. Got a little further anyway.

Back