Steering wheel crack repairs

73 T&C

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Started in on a series of small repairs on a steering wheel I thought might be of interest. It's the steering wheel from my 77 Seville but I've used the technique successfully on other steering wheels.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

As you can see from the post above, it's a lot of sniggling little issues which include: separating inlay, cracks from shrinkage of the plastic, and general scratches. It will not be perfect but should me more than serviceable and a hell of a lot more comfortable.. Not to mention better looking.

Here's the materials I am using:

image.jpg

Basic polishing compound and wax, clear acrylic epoxy, disposable squeeze bottles and fine glue tips for getting the epoxy into the cracks and behind the inlay. Not shown is a temp adjustable soldering iron and sand paper 220 and 400 grit.

Using some of the flash ing from the original molding behind the horn pad, I cut slivers of the material an place it into the smaller cracks. Then using the soldering iron I weld in the slivers to be a little over the cracks.

image.jpg

It it may look bad now but not to worry. If you leave enough of the slivers protruding, (more than 1/16"), and your careful with the iron, the slivers will melt and fuse in the crack.

A little sanding, and here's the result.

image.jpg

image.jpg

After a little sanding. The crack disappears... Almost

image.jpg

A little more sanding and.....

image.jpg

A little more sanding tomorrow, some polishing and well see tomorrow how it turns out.

below is attached a view of the previous "repair" by others.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Commando 1.....I did it just for you. I thought I saw a crack in your wheel. But I could be wrong. This works great on all wheels.

Here's the finished wheel. Two days of 400 grit then 1000 grit. Then polish like crazy, and.................

image.jpg

Not NOS, but cracks are gone, inlay is tight all around and the wheel is totally smooth.

These wheels were a big part of the uniquely "American Feel" of our luxury cars.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Paint it??
Nice work on the wheel. I think next winter I'm going to attempt to fix the single crack on the wheel in my Imp.

Well, yah. If you have a grey steering wheel.
Proof of the pudding in the repair comes after it's been painted.

Commando 1.....I did it just for you. I thought I saw a crack in your wheel. But I could be wrong. This works great on all wheels.

Here's the finished wheel. Two days of 400 grit then 1000 grit. Then polish like crazy, and.................

View attachment 33215

Not NOS, but cracks are gone, inlay is tight all around and the wheel is totally smooth.

These wheels were a big part of the uniquely "American Feel" of our luxury cars.
Hmm, can we see closeups of the repaired areas? I cant see in the pic.

Has anyone had any success with this? My wheel has some big cracks. Any other products that work well?

Has anyone had any success with this? My wheel has some big cracks. Any other products that work well?

I cheated but the results were outstanding....

Before...

DSC01957.jpg

After.... 1977 Dodge Charger leather wrapped steering wheel and shaved 1/2" of the hub off on a lathe.

DSC01965.jpg

Installed.... one of none 1978 NYB with blue leather wrapped steering wheel.

DSC01967.jpg

DSC01957.jpg

DSC01965.jpg

DSC01967.jpg

I like your procedure and the result 73T&C. I've used quik-dry J-B weld with good resultz too but it'z ah B**ch to File+sand and get smooth and requires a rattle can paint job match to hide the reparez, Jer

I think a leather wrapped steering wheel from an R-Body will work too....with cutting the hub down a 1/2" like I did on the Charger steering wheel.

Back