Steering wheel question

Stargazer

Reaction score
Probably silly question, but were 69 Chrysler steering wheels perfectly round? The used wheel I got is wider than it is high…?
Before I start restoring it..

804CC7D9-133C-4F14-8C15-1345C64362DC.jpeg

@Stargazer Hang on a second, I think I may be wrong in that. I took some measurements of the ‘69 wheel I have. Looks like there is a difference of 1/2 inch. Top to bottom is 15 1/4, side to side is 15 3/4, so you may be good.

AE62B434-4659-4977-A941-99A89F04A261.jpeg
58AD8096-7593-43AB-A18E-6754FADF98F3.jpeg

The earlier cars were obviously square. Perhaps there is a technical reason for them to be out of round. How do you plan on doing the restoration on the wheel?

The earlier cars were obviously square. Perhaps there is a technical reason for them to be out of round. How do you plan on doing the restoration on the wheel?
Probably yes.

I plan to first widen the gaps, clean those up. And fill them with two component putty (Milliput), read alot of good things about that brand. Then smooth everything out with grinder/sandpaper. Clean, primer and paint.
Finally plan to place a steering wheel cover, I like the look and feel of those in classic cars.

20220108_133915.jpg

Last edited:
Don't go crazy with restoration if you are just going to cover the wheel. I have many hours into restoring a 1963 square wheel and I'll never get it perfect unless I take it to a professional. Here are some pictures where you can see that I stopped being obsessive and hit the wheel with primer and a first spray of color. Good luck with your project!

Rookie square wheel restoration

Don't go crazy with restoration if you are just going to cover the wheel. I have many hours into restoring a 1963 square wheel and I'll never get it perfect unless I take it to a professional. Here are some pictures where you can see that I stopped being obsessive and hit the wheel with primer and a first spray of color. Good luck with your project!

No I won’t. Smoothing out the epoxy took some time, but nothing crazy.
Great work on your steering wheel!

No I won’t. Smoothing out the epoxy took some time, but nothing crazy.
The Milliput is really nice to work with. A little water on your finger goes a long way to smoothing and sculpting so your final finishing is a lot easier.

3AEE0079-0111-4F17-B9D1-528672C45791.jpeg

Looking good, Stargazer.
After l looked over the first coat of gloss on my wheel, I decided to back up a bit and do some more filling and sanding. I'm glad that I did. I know I would always see the flaws every time I drove the car and would regret not taking just a bit more time to make it better. The gloss finish is very unforgiving of "close enough."

Looking good, Stargazer.
After l looked over the first coat of gloss on my wheel, I decided to back up a bit and do some more filling and sanding. I'm glad that I did. I know I would always see the flaws every time I drove the car and would regret not taking just a bit more time to make it better. The gloss finish is very unforgiving of "close enough."
Thanks. I totally understand yes. Gloss is unforgiving. I plan on using semi gloss. But then again, most will be invisible because of the steering wheelcover. And the centerpiece with hornring.

Installed the steering wheel today, tightened the nut tight. But unfortunatly there is a gap between the wheel and column sleeve. Am I forgetting something, or is this steering wheel slightly different from the original factory wheel?

DE613351-3950-4D7D-A6A0-07335C5FB740.jpeg

856BCB56-90B7-4C0B-9A4F-99B7F82E0A2E.jpeg

Back