Story of the Chrysler 300 "Zebra"

Pete Kaczmarski

Reaction score
Growing up in the '60's-'70's my friend in Beaver Dam WI. had two older brothers that were twins. Their father (Arlo Schmidt) loved old cars and found some for his five children. One strange car that we never found the history of was the "Zebra". Today I found this neat story and the car is specifically mentioned and was also in "Playboy". Does anyone have this issue?

Cars | RETRO OBSESSIONS (wordpress.com)

would be a nice combo....:)
6586173995_420eb4e659_b.jpg

Arlo was my future father in law in 1973. He gave me this 67 300 after his sons managed to have a fender bender with it. The right quarter was hit severely right behind the door. He was told it was a promotional car used by Good Year Tires, he had acquired it from his friend in the Chicago area. I was thrilled to have a 6 year old 300 at age 20! I was just starting in the body shop trade so it was my intention to repair the quarter but that zebra paint job did not especially appeal to me. How would I ever duplicate those stripes plus rust was creeping out in all the usual places at only six years old from all that Chicago salt!. I decided to let it go and sold it to a young canning factory worker for around $400! Several months latter a blur of zebra stripes passed me at speed! There was no mistaking that it was my 300! To this day all most 50 years latter I still have a week spot for 67 300s, love those tail lights and prowl front end. Now I know how significant that paint job was. It leading to Chrysler offering their mod tops in 1969! If Id only known better I would have repaired the damage, spotted in the zebra stripes and still be enjoying a truly beautiful beast of a 300!

Here are some pictures of pictures of my Zebra 67 300 taken around 1973. sorry for the poor quality.

SUNP0154.JPG

SUNP0153.JPG

SUNP0155.JPG

Back