strut rod nut pt 2

70Tom

Reaction score
I'm having a hard time getting the strut rod nuts ON the end that sits in the lower control arm. Are these reverse thread? I can't remember from the time I took them off. Don't want to mess them up.

If they are not reverse thread and I continue to not be able to get them on, what are my options? Source a used set? I saw some for B-bodies but none for C-bodies.

Thanks

They are normal right hand thread. Did you bang on the strut rods with a hammer to get them out of the arms? If so, the end is probably mushroomed a bit. You may need to chamfer the end of the rod with a file or grinder. A thread file might be needed too.

Thanks. I don't recall banging on them with a hammer, but I do remember it was difficult getting the nuts off in the first place.

Wow, just checked. Thread files are not cheap!

Just ordered some thread files from Amazon. Not too bad. $30 with same day shipping. I figure they're good to have in case I have some other bolts/threads that need to be cleaned up. Thanks for the tip.

I had that problem once. Once I jacked up the font wheel a slight bit to raise the control arm, all bolts fell into place and the nuts went right on. That was on a '62. The set-up is different on my '70.

It's pretty annoying because everything is now clean and de-rusted and leads to hopes that it all will go back together quickly and with no issues. Not the case. :mad:

The nuts are locking type and the last thread is slightly distorted so the nut doesn't back off.

The nut will screw on, but tighten as the distorted threads start.

001.jpg

It's pretty annoying because everything is now clean and de-rusted and leads to hopes that it all will go back together quickly and with no issues. Not the case. :mad:

Tom:

If you ever do this type of job again. Some pointers. Mark the position of the torsion bars, lower control arm pivots and strut rods with either a carpenters pencil, white out or a marking device of you choice.. These parts acquire a 'memory". They need to be installed back in the same position as they were found. If all you do is drive it to church on Sundays, this is not an issue. If you plan any serious road miles. memory issues on tempered parts are a big deal and can lead to significant failure issues. (Something can Break). A word to the wise should be sufficient.

Dave

Thanks Dave.

Got the nuts on. I had to file down the end of the one strut rod to get the nut started. So the tips worked. Thanks again.

If you ever have to chase threadz again Tom, find a hardware store that IS A HARDWARE STORE and buy a nut that's the same diameter and thread pitch. Put it in your vice with the hole up 'n down with at least 40%-50% of the flats exposed and take your cut of wheel and make 3 cuts across each 2 of the 6 flats. AND WALLA, You now have a DIE that will clean up the threadz on your threaded anything just by putting a socket or box end on it and running it on down, Jer

Last edited:
If you ever have to chase threadz again Tom, find a hardware store that IS A HARDWARE STORE and buy a nut that's the same diameter and thread pitch. Put it in your vice with the hole up 'n down with at least 40%-50% of the flats exposed and take you cut of wheel and make 3 cuts across each 2 of the 6 flats. AND WALLA, You now have a DIE that will clean up the threadz on your threaded anything just by putting a socket or box end on it and running it on down, Jer
With bolts also to chase in blind holes.

Back