Strut rod nut

Analog Kid

Reaction score
I'm well into my suspension rebuild for my '72 Fury but I've hit a stopping point with the strut rod nut. I can't seem to get it to turn without turning the whole strut. Any special tricks here?

Not enough space there to get my ratchet gun on it so I've been spraying it with PB blast and then put the nut back on at the lower control arm hoping it will keep it from moving. Not really working though....

I don't know if I should just continue with taking out the lower control arm but will the strut come off the control arm once it's out? FSM says to remove it as an assembly.

Any advice is appreciated - Thanks.

IMG_1907 (002).JPG

My experience has been if that nut will not spin off the threads are usually galled because some monkey with a impact thinks he is assembling a bridge. Unless you want to paint them separate colors there is no reason to take the rod out of the control arm.

Try putting a vise grip on the part of the rod forward of the threads and wedge it against the frame rail. You should then be able to break the not loose. They will usually come off easily once you break them loose. Somebody did not properly tighten the back nut on the on the strut rod or you would not be having this problem.

Carefully check the lower control arm and the strut rod where it goes into the lower conrtol arm. There is a good chance that the hole is worn egg shaped from running loose and you will have to replace both the strut rod and the lower control arm.

Dave

The nuts are a locking type. You can see the end threads are slightly distorted in this pic.

s-l500.jpg

You just have to figure out how to grab the strut and keep it from turning. I've seen people use vise grips and pipe wrenches, but it does leave marks on the strut. As Dave said, you might be able to grab the part at the end of the threads with some vice grips.

A good strap wrench might work or try something to pad the jaws of the vice grips like some aluminum or brass. The other option is just cut the nut off and buy some new ones.

It'z called a pipe wrench. Grab the strut rod from clockwise direction and the nut going counterclockwise get after it! That strut rod won't care if it haz ah few bite markz on it, Jer

Can't you get a wrench on the other end? If you can't get a helper try hooking the end of the wrench on something.
Either end should work.

Alan

2014-09-13_006.jpg

I'm having a hell of a time getting the nuts back on the strut rod, but the other end that goes into the lower control arm. Anyone else have this problem?

Back