Stubborn upper ball joint

for smoothing out any metal i use a cookie wheel such as shown. they're supposed to be used for gasket removal but i won't use them for that because they remove metal and can affect a seal surface. found that i could sharpen drill bits with them. View attachment 588774
How do you sharpen a drill bit with a cookie wheel?
Thanks

How do you sharpen a drill bit with a cookie wheel
very carefully. ever sharpen a dill bit by hand with a bench grinder? basically polishing the tip of the bit with a cookie wheel. easy-peasy, have a dull bit, try it. practice makes perfect. i used to use a cutting wheel. polish tip then back cut it. figured i'd try a cookie wheel one day and it worked. hope it works for you. have to say i've used at least one of your tricks with great success.

But what about the left side?

Well... That made the right side look like tea time in the library. To begin with, the puller didn't work because the left spindle is narrower at the top so the tool slipped off one side.

(Shown on the left side)

IMG_1696-vi.jpg

So I tried the sledge on the front pad, as with the left side. Didn't budge. Removed the caliper bracket, rotor, and dust shield to get access to the rear pad - whacked away at it for at least 50 blows, nothing. Like hitting solid steel. Hit both pads again, alternating front/rear, Man, is this thing stuck. Didn't want to use a pickle fork, but tried it - nothing. Never had one of those fail. Went to Harbor Freight and bought an air hammer pickle fork, nothing. Went in so far and then stopped cold. What now? Tried using both pickle forks at the same time on opposite sides so they slid together and lifted square, Not a chance. More hammering. Right shoulder on fire now. Scissors style puller - didn't open wide enough.

All this stuff failed:

IMG_1704-vi.jpg

So I decided to use the puller tool again by slotting a big washer and slipping it on top of the spindle to add some meat to pull on.

IMG_1710-vi.jpg

Tightened it down as tight as felt right and left it for three days, tightening it about 1/4 turn each day hoping to fatigue the bond. Very tight now, how is this puller not snapping? Tried hammering on the spindle under tension, still laughing at me. so, time to escalate:

IMG_1708-vi.jpg

Bought this maybe 14 years ago, never used it because the tanks were out of date and the hose was junk. So, a new hose and new tanks, and now I'm ready to fix it with fire. But first, just one last try with the hammer under tension, but this time, with a large, long hickory-handled ball peen hammer. Three whacks, came right off. You gotta be kidding me.

IMG_1709-vi.jpg

In retrospect, I'm glad I didn't have to heat the spindle, but now at least the torch is working and I can go on to replacing the upper inner bushings, which I may have to make a tool for.

target for the hammer should have been on the rounded area. the goal is to distort the hole. glad it's done though. oxy acetylene. let me introduce you to my little friend. got to get a nice cutting torch for that rig!

I have a cutting torch, plus all kinds of tips, rosebud tips, tons of clamps and accessories, two wire crates full of everything. The owner made the cart and other things too. He passed away, and his son just wanted it all gone. Sad but common story.

Back