Stumbled upon this today

The owner was out of town for the weekend but we spoke late last week and I've been told they got it running and it purs like a kitten. I'm talking with him again tomorrow.

The owner was out of town for the weekend but we spoke late last week and I've been told they got it running and it purs like a kitten. I'm talking with him again tomorrow.
Sounds like this car is a worthy addition to your stable!

I'm with Gary on this one, Matt - what's the hold up? Are you waiting for someone else to buy it so you'll be spared? I've done that myself, tsk tsk. :poke:

Seriously - especially with the parts car, if the price is even close to reasonable, grab it. That will be one gorgeous car once it's fixed up. Even before it's finished. Hell, it looks cool now!

A bit of a roller coaster ride for me on this thing. In short I had no business even considering something like this and I knew it(precisely why I don't look for project cars anymore) the problem is that when I happen across them I can't look away. This one was priced fair from the start but just out of my comfort zone which is why I phoned a friend for advice after the second visit. I knew that even though it was rough it needed to be saved or at least preserved in tact so I used my right of first refusal to make sure it got into the right hands. The End.

Matt, I understand you completely and your viewpoint is understandable.
You're a young guy with a beautiful wife, a successful business and a collection of cars I would kill for. I know from past posts your appreciation and desire of "that" dream house. I am too often over-opinionated but I want you to understand that what I'm now saying is speaking from learned wisdom: Walk away ( and you WILLhave regrets) from this Imp and focus on the home. THAT you will never regret.
Let someone with too much money take this $$$$$ Imperial project on.

Thanks Stan! To be honest my intent with this car was to do as little as possible to it to see what it felt like to drive a '57 Imp, scavenge the parts off the sedan that the coupe needed and pass it along to someone that could restore it while hopefully putting a few bucks in my pocket. All of which I don't have the time, space or extra funds for. Back to thinking about a house.

Good move, man. Having been in the market for a house (or to build, whichever came first) for two years, living in a friggin one bedroom with my wife, 3 dogs and a cat, a good many cars have made me drool... but no amount of drool can lubricate the friction of not having a "home" at 40 years of age.
Best of luck with your house hunting, man!

That's actually good news all around. You can walk away knowing you've done right buy the car. Don't hesitate to update us periodically on the car's status if you know the new owner.

I do and I will, thanks Fred.

Walk away ( and you WILL have regrets) from this Imp and focus on the home. THAT you will never regret.

This is wise advise from Stan. And I will echo it. I get tempted almost on a daily bases. Deals like this will always pop up because we keep our noses to the ground. The right opportunity at the right time will happen.
I recently saved an Imperial from a slow death, but only after knowing it was going into the hands of someone who will show it the love it deserves.

Somewhere, somehow I missed the 'house' thing, Matt. Sorry about that. Home is far more important than toys when a spouse and/or family is concerned. In fact, wife & I have an understanding that if we move or otherwise need $$, the Imperial or any other toys go on the block, to be replaced later.

Glad you were able to see that someone else was apprised of it, at least. Not a project for the weak of heart so hopefully the new owner will have the foresight to see it through to a better place.

That's actually good news all around. You can walk away knowing you've done right buy the car. Don't hesitate to update us periodically on the car's status if you know the new owner.

Keep us informed about the house as well. :D

A bit of a roller coaster ride for me on this thing. In short I had no business even considering something like this and I knew it(precisely why I don't look for project cars anymore) the problem is that when I happen across them I can't look away. This one was priced fair from the start but just out of my comfort zone which is why I phoned a friend for advice after the second visit. I knew that even though it was rough it needed to be saved or at least preserved in tact so I used my right of first refusal to make sure it got into the right hands. The End.
Walk away ( and you WILL have regrets) from this Imp and focus on the home. THAT you will never regret.

This is wise advise from Stan. And I will echo it. I get tempted almost on a daily bases. Deals like this will always pop up because we keep our noses to the ground. The right opportunity at the right time will happen.
I recently saved an Imperial from a slow death, but only after knowing it was going into the hands of someone who will show it the love it deserves.
Thanks to both of you... it's good to know at least some of these cars are finding loving homes.

Back