Sway Bar Inner change for 62 Chrysler?

weim55

Reaction score
My 62 300 sport has no front sway bar whatsoever(?!) guessing this must’ve been part of some heavy duty suspension option? Anyway, do you guys what years and models might interchange when I go junkyard hunting? Does the aftermarket service this in anyway?

Steve weim55 Colorado

My 62 300 sport has no front sway bar whatsoever(?!) guessing this must’ve been part of some heavy duty suspension option? Anyway, do you guys what years and models might interchange when I go junkyard hunting? Does the aftermarket service this in anyway?

Steve weim55 Colorado
The vast majority of '62's usually did not have front sway bars. Most of them wound up on police cruisers or wagons with the heavy duty suspension package and even those were not universal for that application. You can retrofit one but the brackets will need to be welded to the frame as they are not present on the factory suspension setup. As noted, you might be able to source a retro kit from an after market vendor.

Dave

The vast majority of '62's usually did not have front sway bars. Most of them wound up on police cruisers or wagons with the heavy duty suspension package and even those were not universal for that application. You can retrofit one but the brackets will need to be welded to the frame as they are not present on the factory suspension setup. As noted, you might be able to source a retro kit from an after market vendor.

Dave
That's so surprising, I just assumed a mid-upper level line Chrysler would have some kind of front sway bar standard. True though the torsion suspension did corner flatter than a typical coil spring full size. thanks for the info.

Steve weim55 Colorado

Here is a pic of one on a 64 Imperial. Not sure if all got them or not but somewhere to start. I think some station wagons got them in the early 60's too. My 60 parts book lists the bar and hardware part numbers but not which vehicles got them. My 60 Dart has the holes in the frame for bolt on brackets but I have never been able to locate the bolt in brackets. I too thought they should be easier to find. Good Luck! I don't think any of the aftermarket vendors have anything for these cars.

64 Imperial sway bar location.jpg

Steve weim55 Colorado
My 62 300 Sport had no factory sway bar, so I sourced one from a 62 New Yorker. 60 - 64 Letter cars all came with front sway bar. Any front factory sway bar from 60 to 64 will fit. I have a 62 Newport that has a factory sway bar. In regards to the frame bracket, I was able to install without welding as there were factory pre drilled holes in the frame. I just used self tapping / threading bolts to attach bracket to frame. 30k later, still no issues.

All the 61-66 imperials I’ve looked at have the sway bar.
Can anybody tell me if these will
work on a 61 Plymouth?
With or without welding bracket?
I believe 60-62 NYs all have them.
If I understand it right the imperials,60-62 NYs,60,61 300s
have the weld on bracket’s.?
Rare are the stock sway bars from a 60-64 dodge,Plymouth,small frame Chrysler with bolt on bracket’s?

I have yet to see a small frame
C,P,D car with factory bar.

This 61 NY at a wrecking yard crushing out had the sway bar.
Jerk owner of yard would rather crush it than sell it

23CD2CD5-ABCE-4664-B228-0B696817FC09.jpeg

I salvaged a sway bar for my 66 Fury from a car in a junk yard. Measure carefully before removing anything. Make a diagram showing the correct location for the brackets. I cut the brackets off with my angle grinder with a thin cutting wheel. I powered the grinder with a small portable generator.
When installing, measure and mark carefully, tack the brackets in place, mock up the install and check very carefully. When all is correct, remove all except the brackets and weld them. As I remember, I used small 6013 electrodes and it went on like a dream. Would have been slicker with a MIG welder, but I didn't have one yet.
Replace all rubbers with new and enjoy!
That was over 20 years ago, and working great.
All this to say it is not difficult. Lindsay

OK, i’ll start the junkyard search, thanks everyone for all your replies. When I get the goods in my hands and on the car I’ll report how it goes.

Steve weim55 Colorado

Back