tach for tuning recommendations?

Electrical & Ignition

1. swisherred

swisherred Senior Member

Im looking for a tach that I can use for tuning and making adjustments...not really needing it to stay in the car. Can anyone recommend something? Should I just look at a dwell meter? I have a dwell meter, but it only goes to 2Krpm

I just want something I can use to see where its shifting and when secondaries are opening and such.

2. stubs300

stubs300 Senior Member

You contradict yourself here, do you want to see what's happening while tuning or driving? It's kinda hard to tweak a carb or twist a dist. and look at the dash at the same time!
    A dwell meter is for showing the down time of when the points are closed before opening again, that's not needed if you have electric ignig. I had a old Sun Tach that I installed alligator clips on the ends for working under the hood, it doesn't need to be fancy, just accurate. Good Luck

3. swisherred

swisherred Senior Member

For tuning and seeing shift points...so I need one I can use inside and outside of the car. My dwell meter also is a tach...but only hits 2k.

4. Turboomni

Turboomni Old Man with a Hat

Something like this? I didn't want some enormous thing with switches and shift light. Maybe you can find something that compliments your dash you can live with.

20190614_134137.jpg

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  5. HWYCRZR

HWYCRZR Senior Member FCBO Gold Member

Harbor freight under $40

tach, dwell, voltage, resistance, plus temperature.

73AD5CD6-1F8C-4210-9A7B-EDB51301F353.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  6. CBODY67

CBODY67 Senior Member

Getting the carb mixture and such "right" is one thing that your existing dwell/tach is designed for. For the driving items, it might be best to just use the speedometer for those notations, AFTER figuring the mph/1000rpm in each gear.

As a better tuning aid, there are some cell phone aps for download (usually low cost) that will serve as a chassis dyno of sorts. Have to have one of the "phablets" that have accelerometers in them, I suspect (which usually takes "flip phones" out of the mix). Probably would need a firm phone mount for this to work best?

What I got in the early '70s was a Radio Shack Micronta (brand) dwell/tach unit. Sits on the fender. 0-6000rpm range, with a 0-2000 range, distributor dwell, point resistance, voltage, with a swith for 4-6-8cyl. Not something to use "mobile", though. Not an accurate dwell readin gon electronic ignitions, though, or rpm, but can still be used in those areas. One thing I like about it is the cleanness and detail of the scales and needle.

Sunn used to have some really neat "roll-around" meters for basic tune-up stuff and also an air/fuel meter

Already have a "dial-back" timing light?

Once you figure out the mph/1000 in each gear, no real need to add an "inside" tach that's not already there.

ONE thing to remember is "mechanical error". The good accessory tachs of the '60s-'70s were 2% of FULL SCALE. So 2% of 6000 is less variation than 2% of 8000. So, if you are going to be a stickler for accuracy, the lower rpm scales are best. But for a general reference situation, rather than "exact", anything will do.

Just some thoughts,
    CBODY67

• Like Like x 2
  7. Gerald Morris

Gerald Morris Well-Known Member

I got a nice little 1970s Actron dwell meter/tach on eBay. Here's the model I got:

Vintage Actron Dwell / Tachometer Model 612 Dual Function Meter For 4,6,8 Cy | eBay

It serves me quite admirably.

Then found a Sears multi meter from the same period, that does voltage and current too. These two 40+ yr old meters agree pretty nicely on stuff, and Tilly purrs along after I use the Actron with a breaker point replacement.

The old stuff made concurrently with our cars works best with them in my experience, and can be had for reasonable prices too.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1