Tech tip: How to align ur own suspension at home

just to horrify the purists our oval track Fury had 3/8 spacers on the bolts between the lower ball joint and spindle and the strut bar shortened an inch...no clue what that would be in degrees
The phrase "oval track Fury" is what caught my attention:mob:

Radial tires were standard on all Chrysler cars by 1979, and Chrysler still set the big cars up at 3/4 positive caster and camber.
My point is that a car can be setup to do as desired.
I would love to get my hands on a new set of those old type of bias/belted tires.
Now if I could get some 1950s oil to go with shitty bias tires, and 1930s friction shocks. Wow I could have a car that would be safe to drive at 45 mph, that's exciting.
I mean come on into the 21st century. I'm a old guy at this point but using 80 year old tech on your car is just....... I don't even know what to call that.
Even my W900 Kenworth runs more than 3/4° caster and it is not exactly a sporty handling machine, it also runs a small amount of toe in because it is a rear steer axle and compressing the tie rods with caster it lets it roll easier with less tire wear. Yes I make more money if the tires stay on longer.

Last edited:
Now if I could get some 1950s oil to go with shitty bias tires, and 1930s friction shocks. Wow I could have a car that would be safe to drive at 45 mph, that's exciting.
I mean come on into the 21st century. I'm a old guy at this point but using 80 year old tech on your car is just....... I don't even know what to call that.
Even my W900 Kenworth runs more than 3/4° caster and it is not exactly a sporty handling machine, it also runs a small amount of toe in because it is a rear steer axle and compressing the tie rods with caster it lets it roll easier with less tire wear. Yes I make more money if the tires stay on longer.

I didn't say bias tires. I said bias belted tires. The bias belted tires ride really good around town, no radial thump.

I didn't say bias tires. I said bias belted tires. The bias belted tires ride really good around town, no radial thump.
It's a bias tire with belts.
Overlapping angled layers (bias plies) with puncture protective belts running around circumference.
So they reduced the number of plies to reduce internal heat produced by the carcass of the tire to improve fuel mileage, not using energy of the vehicle to make heat in the tire. It a step in the right direction. The next evolution is radial construction. Plies run from bead to bead not across each other at angles. They reduced the structure of the tire to only hold a shape and use more air pressure to hold up the load of the vehicle, keeping the belts for puncture resistance thereby reduce the internal heat generated by the internal stiffness of the tire itself.
The bias belted are better but, still carry the problems of heat and fighting with the road, not conforming to small irregularities therefore increasing grip while running cooler/using less fuel with a radial. I'm sorry, but tires are a thing that have improved with later designs. The alignment specs you are boasting about are antiquated and like the tires are a relic to be used in museum displays of how things were. Yes you can make the argument that they work, just not efficiently.

Last edited:
It's a bias tire with belts.
Overlapping angled layers (bias plies) with puncture protective belts running around circumference.
So they reduced the number of plies to reduce internal heat produced by the carcass of the tire to improve fuel mileage, not using energy of the vehicle to make heat in the tire. It a step in the right direction. The next evolution is radial construction. Plies run from bead to bead not across each other at angles. They reduced the structure of the tire to only hold a shape and use more air pressure to hold up the load of the vehicle, keeping the belts for puncture resistance thereby reduce the internal heat generated by the internal stiffness of the tire itself.
The bias belted are better but, still carry the problems of heat and fighting with the road, not conforming to small irregularities therefore increasing grip while running cooler/using less fuel with a radial. I'm sorry, but tires are a thing that have improved with later designs. The alignment specs you are boasting about are antiquated and like the tires are a relic to be used in museum displays of how things were. Yes you can make the argument that they work, just not efficiently.

I know what the tires are and what they do. I grew up with them. I didn't suggest radial tires are inferior. I did say they have a slow speed thump.
And it does sound like you are telling me how I like my cars alignment to behave. Again, I know what all of it does. Negative camber or a lot of positive casters is not a requirement of radial tires. It's a popular preference. But not my preference for my driving.

Saw this today and thought of this thread.

1712756561921.png

Back