Temp gauge issues

66FuryIIINB

Reaction score
Greetings everyone!
I have a 66 Fury 3. Temp gauge pegs out hot when headlights or heater fan is on.
Runs about 3/4 when no electrical draw on the system. Engine shows no signs of overheating. Everything original on this car. Fuel gauge is factory and works even internal dash voltage regulator stock. Gauges seem to function as they should. Cleaned bulkhead connections. Don't know if it matters but New ballast resistor and main voltage regulator. Ignition coil condenser and points all replaced. It has been doing this since before all replacements mentioned above. Also checked block to frame ground connection. I'm at wits end can anybody help?

Thanks

On the backside of the instrument cluster there is a voltage limiter for your gauges. It’s basically contact points that can stick due to age & wear. They sell new ones that are solid state & operate a lot smoother. It sounds like when you are running lights & such the extra voltage is causing your temp gauge to peg. Kind of surprised your gas gauge isn’t acting up. I suggest you get a factory service manual for your car. You can either download one or get the book. Either way it’s an invaluable resource when working on your Fury. Good luck and keep us posted.

Usually the guage volt limiter when it craps out both fuel and temp will be pegged.
You say that is not the case. FYI the 65/66 Fury integrates the limiter within the fuel gauge.
Did you check the temp sending sensor and wiring going to it?
If the wire is grounding out anywhere it will peg the gauge. Ditto if the sensor is stuck inside itself.
The temp sensor are common and cheap to replace and I recommend swapping it out for a piece of mind.
Hope this helps.

Might need to drain some coolant before removing the temp sensor?

You might also want to try running a temporary ground from the instrument cluster case. Since your system is acting up with increased load to the accessories, that suggests there is a poor ground to the dash.

Dave

Sounds like a grounding issue, check the ground wire between the engine and the body.

Greetings everyone!
I have a 66 Fury 3. Temp gauge pegs out hot when headlights or heater fan is on.
Runs about 3/4 when no electrical draw on the system. Engine shows no signs of overheating. Everything original on this car. Fuel gauge is factory and works even internal dash voltage regulator stock. Gauges seem to function as they should. Cleaned bulkhead connections. Don't know if it matters but New ballast resistor and main voltage regulator. Ignition coil condenser and points all replaced. It has been doing this since before all replacements mentioned above. Also checked block to frame ground connection. I'm at wits end can anybody help?

Thanks
The voltage limiter is built into the gas gauge. Had the exact same problems your having before I figured out the problem which took time and effort before I learned that it is part of the gas gauge There is a way to wire around it but much simpler to find another gas gauge (I have accumulated extras for that exact reason). Your ballast, voltage regulator, coil, etc. have nothing to do with voltage limiter.

Thank you all for the input.. think I will try a new temp sensor and chase wires and ground. I will keep you posted.

Thanks again

Back