Tesla launches new truck, things don't go too well

WOW, is that thing ugly. It looks like it was designed for a tight budget science fiction movie.

BA8BA0C5-315A-48CF-931A-89F30571EB8A.jpeg

I think the styling is probably and attempt to market the "high tech" nature of the vehicle. Failed. This thing is not only ugly almost beyond belief, but too small to have any real useful function. Would be fun to see the big tri-wheel run over it.

Dave

Apparently there are now about 150,000 orders for the truck which I think is ugly. However, I believe most of us are out of touch with things although I realize I am out of touch. I have a10 year old who tells me that so I am already on the road to salvation.

I just used that as an example, for what's becoming a familiar, frequent journey. I couldn't even go hunting up north.
That doesn't matter, you wouldn't be "allowed" to do that either.

I personally prefer to HEAR my cars and the glorious noise(s) they make. I have enough room for myself and the infrequent passenger, and plenty more. I'd like to have the excellent acceleration, though, but I'm going to go kicking and screaming til the bitter end, if they try to make me drive an EV.

Apparently there are now about 150,000 orders for the truck which I think is ugly. However, I believe most of us are out of touch with things although I realize I am out of touch. I have a10 year old who tells me that so I am already on the road to salvation.

Musk claimed today (Mon) that he now has 200k in preorders. What he did not say was this this model only takes a $100 fully refundable deposit. Much less than previous models. Have to wonder how many of those orders will actually become sales given the deposit is to be refunded on written request. Sounds more like a media stunt than anything else.

Dave

Musk claimed today (Mon) that he now has 200k in preorders. What he did not say was this this model only takes a $100 fully refundable deposit. Much less than previous models. Have to wonder how many of those orders will actually become sales given the deposit is to be refunded on written request. Sounds more like a media stunt than anything else.

Dave
Thanks for summarizing the mess of words in my head! As soon as I saw 150k orders, this went up:

:bs_flag:

"Elon Musk says sledgehammering Cybertruck led to the onstage window failure"

:bs_flag: :realcrazy:

Would the window have cracked regardless of order? At least on stage, they only pounded on the front door panel; were these hits enough to crack the base of the glass on the rear door, too? It's probably impossible for anyone outside of Tesla to say with certainty, but that seems pretty wild.

Last edited:
"Elon Musk says sledgehammering Cybertruck led to the onstage window failure"

:bs_flag: :realcrazy:

Would the window have cracked regardless of order? At least on stage, they only pounded on the front door panel; were these hits enough to crack the base of the glass on the rear door, too? It's probably impossible for anyone outside of Tesla to say with certainty, but that seems pretty wild.
It would have been better to have said that he was misinformed and this wasn't production glass.

Alan

This terrible "truck" would look right at home in front of our almost open, and already hated, downtown library. It's already been nicknamed "the tank". There was a mid-project design change, and apparently it didn't work out too well. Not the greatest pics, but you get the idea.

IMG_20191123_200137.jpg

IMG_20191123_114717.jpg

This terrible "truck" would look right at home in front of our almost open, and already hated, downtown library. It's already been nicknamed "the tank". There was a mid-project design change, and apparently it didn't work out too well. Not the greatest pics, but you get the idea. .

I'm in construction. Don't get me started on what passes for "design" and engineering these days. Every architect seems to think he's an artist and buildings should be "art". I swear they have pizza alamode for dinner, have nightmares, wake up and draw the monstrosity. Retirement can't come soon enough.

Interesting figures quoted by Mark Reuss, only 40% of Chicago respondents and 45% of Los Angeles respondents would buy electric, so 60% and 55% of respondents respectively prefer Gasoline. No doubt electric will eventually take over, but probably not for a while yet.

Interesting figures quoted by Mark Reuss, only 40% of Chicago respondents and 45% of Los Angeles respondents would buy electric, so 60% and 55% of respondents respectively prefer Gasoline. No doubt electric will eventually take over, but probably not for a while yet.

I am not surprised. Most people still need "a one size fits all" vehicle, something they can commute in as well as take trips with. Most working people have limited time to spend on the road so stopping to hang out around charging stations is out, and if it's cold outside, battery life tanks.

I'm in a position where I could use an electric to commute, but why? Electric vehicles have AWFUL resale, my fuel costs are typically less than $30 / week. Maintenance on modern ICE cars is minimal. Mine is 10,000 mile oil changes, 100,000 mile tune ups and PCV. Even if I suddenly needed another car the resale alone would drive me away.

Probably within 30 years things will have changed for the better, but I wonder about the person bogged in their Pickup, will there be enough power to free the truck and get to a charging point?

No doubt electric will eventually take over, but probably not for a while yet.

I'm guessing we will have another push of hybird vehicles before electric vehicles become a significant portion of the market. Personally, I think there's plenty of life left in ICE vehicles and we will have them around for quite some time in one form or another (hybird).

Back