The "1 of 1" car show guy.

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
We had a nice first annual car show this weekend in my community. We were basically at capacity for the space of around 170 cars.

I love how there is always that guy showing his car which was ordered from the factory, and it's claim of 1 or 1.

This one caught my attention because of the non-ram hood scoop. It was actual a really nice 1970 Ford Torino GT. I just don't understand the need to claim it is a "1 of 1" on a car with a non functioning ornamental hood scoop. Especially when there were functioning ram hood scoops, on the Cobra version.

There's a guy around here that has a bunch of "1 of 1" cars... Or so he says.

One car came through with a 340 engine with a 383 air cleaner pie tin. He did buy it brand new and it is a really nice car, I will give him that. He tells everyone it was a special 383 cu in small block... He even has a whole story line about talking to Chrysler etc. Truth is someone swapped the pie tin, either at the dealership or the wrong one got stuck on at the factory.

The other cars all have some wild claims... They are nice cars, don't get me wrong, and he's had a lot of them for many years. The claims are as crazy as he is.

Has anyone seen any cars that are identical?
They are all pretty much 1 of 1.
Perhaps there are some fleet vehicles that were ordered the same, but I still doubt those fleet vehicles were all ordered with the same colors.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Perhaps there are some fleet vehicles that were ordered the same, but I still doubt those fleet vehicles were all ordered with the same colors.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
Exactly my Goldie is most likely a 1 of 1. Especially with all the colors snd options, most ordered cars would be 1 of 1. I never understood why this is important to some people.

Exactly my Goldie is most likely a 1 of 1. Especially with all the colors snd options, most ordered cars would be 1 of 1. I never understood why this is important to some people.
It's the guys that spent money on their Marti? report. The way those breakdowns are done every car is a one of one and makes it special to the owner.

Last edited:
I have a true 1 of 1 that I put on the site 2 years ago, but a Chrysler bicycle. Built by North American Cycles the company that built the VW Trek bikes, the Jeep bikes and the Chrysler PT Cruiser bikes. This was to see if Chrysler was intrested in a up scale bike and called Chrysler PT Dream Cruiser, they weren't and this is the proto type.

20210724_170007.jpg

20210724_170013.jpg

20210724_170020.jpg

Question…….?
Where does the criteria start for the legitimate claim of 1 of 1?

Motor/trans combo
999 paint codes
Sun roof

Would be interesting to do a study of exactly how many identical fender tags can be found.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
It’s not common but yes. I’ve seen documents showing two cars alike. Fleet cars I.e. cop cars or corporate cars ordered in bulk can be identical.

As not all options are coded on a tag, you could have two cars with identical tags but the cars have different options.

Without a doubt my Polara is 1 of 1, factoring the options.

For me.
1. Year
2. Make/Model
3. Body
4. Engine
5. Transmission
That is it.

Alan

FYI .. A "Marti"
1689790267401.png
report for a 72 Merc 429 PI I used to own. I blocked out the VIN since I no longer own this car.

1689788799385.png

FLW 9K.png

Blue section, lower right, is where Marti places the "1 of' language for a selection of "codes" (they vary by car, but most of the ones I recall are paint/trim codes and powertrain codes.

I am sure its possible that ONE of the things on a given car car be "1 of" (e.g., green car with blue seats or something). Dunno how Kevin's database works to "flag" something he thinks owner would like to know.

I do know MoHP bought NINE cars (THEY - MoHP - told me that) exactly like this one back in '72.

Mine MAY have been 1 of 9 left (OR NOT) in existence, (i.e., of the nine bought by MoHP) but nothing else says it was 1 of 1 ever built that year, and likely there was at least another one just like it, STILL in existence or not (who knows?), that some OTHER fleet/civi buyer ordered.

I didnt know and still don't care .. the car's "rarity" speaks/spoke for itself. But, Ford said they only built 753 of them - of the '72 Monterey four-door Customs - that had 429-4V PI's, etc .... interesting factoid I guess in case it comes up on Jeopardy :poke:.

I have had maybe 50 Marti Reports .. don't recall a "1 of 1" of anything shown on any of them.

Last edited:
^^^That's the cool thing about FoMoCo ownership is that you can get this report from Marti for nearly ANY ford product from roughly 1963 to the late 2010's. You know exactly what you have, based on the criteria available; along with the major options and the dealer delivery info.

I remember my Dad and his brother bought identical 1969 Chevy C-20 Camper Special pickups from his Chevy dealer buddy in April 1969. With consecutive VINs, they were absolutely identically-spec'd and built, in every way. Yet, Dad's truck ran great on Regular gasoline, while my Uncle's truck would not run on anything but Premium.

I have had maybe 50 Marti Reports .. don't recall a "1 of" anything shown on any of them.

Actually, I have seen "one-of-four" on a Deluxe Marti Report, on a 429 Ranchero, of which very, very few were produced, on a recent BaT auction.

As stated above, I believe every car or truck is a "one-of-one"; UNLESS you have a fleet buy (US Forest Service, police agencies, Armed Service buys, etc), which excludes private party orders, of course.

1689794616971.png

Last edited:
1 of 1 is a waste of time. It's someone trying to claim rarity on a mass-produced American Car. It and "Survivor" I wish would go the way of the Dodo Bird.

I would say my Challenger has a good shot at 1 of xx. Flat hood non R/T, big block 4 BBL, the main one is the gator grain top knocks it down to mid 300 (can't remember exact number). Throw in column shift, brown paint, brown interior, A/C. I'm pretty far down. It is not really important to me for bragging rights, but cool anyway.

how about a green on green 70 rt challenger , i understand green was a rarely ordered color on hipo cars . and i understand that black cars where special order cars too .

Scan0001_0001.jpg

Scan0007_0007.jpg

Scan0009_0009.jpg

Scan0013_0013.jpg

Scan0015_0015.jpg

69 ROAD RUNNER HARD TOP DRIVER SIDE.jpg

I have to say that the green on green Challenger JS R/T model was pretty common.
Might be one of the most common chally colors, even over fc7 plum crazy.

1 of 1 is a waste of time. It's someone trying to claim rarity on a mass-produced American Car. It and "Survivor" I wish would go the way of the Dodo Bird.
Survivor status is a pretty special term. A survivor is a car that has not had any paint, no major repairs, no interior changes, Usually not been taken apart in any way.
I for one would absolutely love to purchase a "survivor" cuda/barracuda/gran coupe of any color or engine combo. (prefer a slanty) A garaged car. These in the barracuda line are extremely difficult to find. Extremely!

I have the Newport, I call Miss Billet and she has original paint, original vinyl roof, original interior, original motor, original sparkplug wires with paint dobbs on them. Valve covers have factory writing on them. 54K miles and sat in a garage all of it's life. I think that is a survivor.

Non altered. There aren't many of those left at all, so survivor is a needed term for a very few amount of cars.

I've always thought the 1 of __ should be tied to paint or engine/trans combo's. I have a 60 300F that is 1 of 3 based on color as an example. I don't think it provides any extra value, but I do think it lets you get the top of value range if restored correctly. It's weird to me when people start throwing 10 options in, combined with the stuff above to get to a 1 of ___ number.

Back