The 66 New Yorker is finally back prowling the streets!

Mclovin

Reaction score
I bought this car back in November of 2018 after it sat in a pole barn since 2004. Two days ago I had a shop finish the brakes and bleed the system, double checking my work. I am not 100% confident in my drum brake repair abilities so I am glad I had them looked over by a professional. I had done a couple minor things wrong that he caught and fixed. Master cylinder and booster were still good and he was able to get them bled and adjusted. Drove the car for the first time and all I can say is wow. Such an incredible car. Drives smooth, steering is light and brakes work well. The 440 is super quiet and smooth. Carb was rebuilt, adjusted properly, and idles well. No dead spots on take off either.

Was cruising it through town last night with my dad and two little boys. The alternator had been making noise like it was full of rocks. It finally seized up tight last night on my cruise. I got her pulled off the road and ran home to get my car trailer. Thankfully I had already ordered the new alternator so its in stock and ready for me to pick up. I'll replace the belts and the alternator this weekend and hopefully be back on the road.

66 chrysler behind the wheel.JPG

66 Chrysler front driver side.JPG

66 chrysler in the driveway.JPG

Thank you! I know they might be a polarizing option to some purists and I get that. I wanted a little bit of a custom look and they are pretty close to matching the translucent green of the steering wheel. The powder coat color is called Illusion Money. I think they turned out neat.

Great lookin' '66. Just keep in mind the two wheels on the drivers side are Left Hand Thread unless they've been changed to "righty's" already. The tire stores changers WILL NOT HAVE A CLUE AND TRY TO IMPACT THEM OFF 'TIL THEY SNAP THE STUDS OFF. If the Lefty's are still on there they will be marked with an "L" on the end of the studz. Happy Trails, Jer

Nice to see it out/about. THANKS for the photos. As non-stock wheels go, these are a tasteful option, especially when they match the steering wheel (not to mention a good contrast w/the yellow body), the color seems to have the same "translucence" of the steering wheel........ and you don't have to worry about hubcaps falling off......

You're lucky to be able to trailer yourself home, a lot of us have to call A-A-A or Hagerty. It might have been an original alternator, OEM units have been know to last a long time......

Give yourself time to adjust to the drum brakes, my '67 New Yorker stops well enough with them. You DO have to keep them adjusted to avoid them getting "touchy" or pulling to left/right. If not already, you'll learn these cars handle surprisingly well for their size.

Good luck with the alternator replacement, and keep us posted!

Last edited:
Great looking car and the wheels are unique. I have always liked the 4 door hardtop body style. Have fun cruising.

I'd say hose in that picture but then that is a hose you and your car will become very familiar with over time. Quite the spread in price between regular (2.59) and premium (3.69).

I'd say hose in that picture but then that is a hose you and your car will become very familiar with over time. Quite the spread in price between regular (2.59) and premium (3.69).
Yes it is! lol! That is the price for non-ethanol premium. The ethanol premium is substantially cheaper. Pretty spendy fill up yesterday.

Nice to see it out/about. THANKS for the photos. As non-stock wheels go, these are a tasteful option, especially when they match the steering wheel (not to mention a good contrast w/the yellow body), the color seems to have the same "translucence" of the steering wheel........ and you don't have to worry about hubcaps falling off......

You're lucky to be able to trailer yourself home, a lot of us have to call A-A-A or Hagerty. It might have been an original alternator, OEM units have been know to last a long time......

Give yourself time to adjust to the drum brakes, my '67 New Yorker stops well enough with them. You DO have to keep them adjusted to avoid them getting "touchy" or pulling to left/right. If not already, you'll learn these cars handle surprisingly well for their size.

Good luck with the alternator replacement, and keep us posted!

Thank you for the compliment on the wheels. I have all the factory original hubcaps but did not want to lose one or have any stolen so I figured running a custom powder coat and saving the hubcaps would be a better option.

That 18 foot flatbed trailer has been the best investment I have ever made. A buddy and I went in half on it and I have hauled more projects home and my own broken rigs home than I can even count.

The alternator looked pretty original but I'm not sure if it was. It was in bad need of replacement that's for sure.

I really dig the wheels! Like you said, it’s a slight custom look but these cars already look slightly custom so they don’t need much

Great looking Chrysler!:thumbsup:
Man am I ready for spring!

New Alternator is in, two new belts, oil change, radiator cap and overflow hose. Drove it about 160 miles so far this weekend and no other hiccups. I was able to take it back to show the owner I bought it from who is in his late 80’s. He loved the green wheels and was very impressed with how clean it was. My 5 year old son loves helping me wrench on it.

64A74496-DFEB-4DD7-94BF-6052DF6DF30B.jpeg

2B4D91DC-C75B-4F15-A8A8-414BD600D846.jpeg

C56C8F90-B9F1-40D2-B5C3-47BD7A61AEE9.jpeg

52A99110-158E-4A14-B9BB-8DF1EE22E3DF.jpeg

Took some time to detail the interior a little bit more and wash the exterior. Trying to get rid of some of the musty smell and a little bit of mold from sitting in the rain a couple days before I could get it under cover this winter. Interior cleaned up really well.

03FC0A91-DED0-4A8D-B632-AD27137FB0D1.jpeg

C4ACEEDD-1C3D-4187-B97F-F57221C9E1EE.jpeg

09BD7F65-B274-4ED7-BF08-CAA032AB73B3.jpeg

C2B681BB-F3C3-4693-856C-BC34D9E50926.jpeg

And a few more beauty shots from the weekend and a little cruising with my buddy in his 72 GTO.

The car was bought new in my hometown of Corvallis, OR in May of 1966 at Hartsock-Tharp Chrysler dealer. Their plate frame is still on the car.

00A5D12C-8760-4893-AF1D-7A641676CC0B.jpeg

EB1721AE-FFB5-422B-9E6A-C8105BD2D7E5.jpeg

91B159D9-1FEC-4987-A07C-46640AB38235.jpeg

1B29B81B-2DD0-4D08-AFD6-54AFDC04D079.jpeg

New Alternator is in, two new belts, oil change, radiator cap and overflow hose. Drove it about 160 miles so far this weekend and no other hiccups. I was able to take it back to show the owner I bought it from who is in his late 80’s. He loved the green wheels and was very impressed with how clean it was. My 5 year old son loves helping me wrench on it.
One sweet car. Keep the youngster involved as much as possible. I've got a picture of my younger son before he was 4 rolling a wheel and tire out of the garage for me.

Back