The Bluesmobile

If I remember right, I got it from eastwood. It was so long ago... There was a thread going long ago ago them. General consensus was they were all the same tool, just branded differently for whatever supplier.

Yea we might be able to work something out. It will still be a while though... lol

Well, I can't believe I'm saying this. But am super excited about it! It took 2 years, and a little over 3 months. But the metal work along the bottom side of the Bluesmobile is finally done!! What a journey! Can finally put the welder, and grinder away for a while. I still have a few spots up top to do, but that is a ways down the road.

Started today finishing the wheel well. It fought me every chance it had, but finally got it.

Then moved on to the rocker. Stripped it down with the needle scaler, and wire wheel. Surprisingly it was a lot more solid then I remembered it being. Only needed a little weld to fill a couple pin holes. I also finished the patch I started on it a year ago towards the back. Luckily it came out pretty good!

Finished the day fabbing up the leg for the passenger side leaf spring pearch. The welds didn't come out too purty.. But its solid as an oxe!

Hoping to save up a few bucks to get the paint, and undercoating in the next few weeks. Then on to re assembly. Also need to get my 9.25 rebuilt to slide under her.

Thank you my man!!

It still has a long way to go. Rebuild front suspension, 9.25 rear, swap out 360 with rebuilt 440, and go over a few things in the interior. Lots to do, and lots of $$ lol

Great to watch the process. You have develop quite a nice skill, in your body work

I've been enjoying this one as well. Here's the one I did a few years ago.

DSC_0349.JPG

I've been enjoying this one as well. Here's the one I did a few years ago.

Very nice! What color paint did you use for the P1's on the rear doors? They look great! I had a hard time finding a "correct" looking color, the last time I did them.

I just got back from vacation. Had a little spare money, so I ordered the Rustbullet to do the underside with. Also ordered their metal prep, and a couple brushes.

Hopefully this next weekend get the trans pulled, along with the exhaust, and other underside bits to get it painted. Also just filled my taxes. Monaco parts coming soon! lol

Restore a car they said.. It will be fun they said....

Haha what a messy *** day!

Well, the air compressor, and needle scaler earned their keep today. Spent all day under the car stripping the garbage off. After ofcoarse removing the exhaust, rear shocks, drive shaft, heat shields, and what was left of the fuel lines, ect..

Rear rails, and stub frame are still in good shape luckily!! I found a small hole in the drivers rear floor that has been fixed, along with a little rot in the trunk floor. I gave the trunk floor a half *** repair as I was not in the mood for it, but it'll work. Also found some rot around one of the holes for the J-bolts for the gas tank. It was only the sheet metal around the bracket for the bolt. The bracket itself is still solid, so I left it. Not worried about it.

After a little wire wheeling to clean up a little more I applied the rustbullet metal prep. This stuff started doing its job as soon as I sprayed it on. Can see it "etching" the bad spots in white in the pics below. I'm letting this soak in tonight.

Tomorrow I'll clean up the belly a little more, wire wheel the primer off the wheel wells, and start painting. I haven't removed the trans yet. The closer I got to the front, the better shape the metal, and undercoating were in. Might just knok off the loose stuff and spray the new undercoating over what's there.

No more rust! Or at least I hope. As long as the stuff does what it's supposed to we should be good. I almost don't want to cover it up with undercoating.

No more rust! Or at least I hope. As long as the stuff does what it's supposed to we should be good. I almost don't want to cover it up with undercoating.

Think of it like this, Zac... all undercoating will do is protect from stone chips and help quite road noise a little... you can safely leave it painted for a while and touch up/undercoat it anytime you like. It may even give you opportunity to decide the metal is properly encapsulated by the paint that future rust issues will/wont be a problem.

My childhood summers were spent, in part, rebondoing the family vehicles back together. One year to combat the floor rust that was starting, I was directed to use old motor oil to soak the frame and floor pans. After about a month, I used several gallons of roofing tar to cover over the floor pans with a putty knife... It was the best and most durable undercoating ever. But years later where ever the floors did get moisture trapped and rust, that tar kept it hidden until it fell off in a big chunk of rusty nothing.

Without that layer to hide the evil, you could easily inspect and if needed give a quick wash and rekill the rust if there are any places you didnt get good enough. IMO the places the undercoating did the most to help was when they drilled a hole in the rocker boxes and frame rails and shoved the wand in there to coat it. In a wet climate, it may have done the most harm by clogging the drains to let the water out too.

Last edited:
I've thought about it a bit. But ultimately I prefer the look and sound deadening of undercoating. Granted it can trap moisture, the rust bullet should keep it protected if it does happen. Regardless the floors should last my lifetime I believe. Hell it wont see salt again on my watch lol. Just a little FL rain here and there.

Just not big on the look of a painted bottom.

I ordered a schutz gun and some undercoating last night. Hoping to have it done up soon.

It was a decorator color in spray paint,purchased at Home Depot-bronze something or other? It worked well and held up too.

Back