The crappy years? There were some cool Mopar cars from 1975-1991 (pre-viper), so list 'em!

Chrysler's Canadian design studio went out of business in 2014, replaced by USA models. Since these Canadian cars were much like the USA equivalent, why didn't Chrysler sell these down in the USA as an upgraded trim option? Seems like a waste of money.
View attachment 559231
View attachment 559232
I went to high school with a guy who drove a Caravelle, it was a K car though. We beat that thing to death and it just kept going.

Chrysler's Canadian design studio went out of business in 2014, replaced by USA models. Since these Canadian cars were much like the USA equivalent, why didn't Chrysler sell these down in the USA as an upgraded trim option? Seems like a waste of money.
View attachment 559231
View attachment 559232

I think there was Canadian-content laws back then, to where the models sold in Canada had to be X% Canadian designed/built, but I don't know for certain. Plus, I'd bet there were Canadians that wanted the new models as being Canada-unique and not available in the US, and there was enough justification to do that, in the minds of the manufacturers.

Here's my "Crappy" 79 300. May not be a muscle car but I think it's pretty cool.
View attachment 559233View attachment 559234View attachment 559235

Do you have all of the aluminum wheels that came with it? If you ditch the finned plastic inset ring they become road wheels.

1979 300 wheels.jpg

I saw a Chrysler with the fuel injection still intact a few years back at the Fall Fling in Van Nuys.

View attachment 550170
I have a prototype '59 EFI manifold (configured for a single 4-V throttle body) for the B-engine.
A buddy spotted it on ebay and told me about it, I put a Hail-Mary bid and won the thing.
Coincidentally, I got my 300L the same way, via the same buddy.

Do you have all of the aluminum wheels that came with it? If you ditch the finned plastic inset ring they become road wheels.

View attachment 559339
Sort-of. These have different qty of slots and slightly different shape in the center area, and they are aluminum, of course. But yes, very similar.
I have a set of these awaiting to polish and put on my 300L, and have a set of AMC caps same as you.
Of all the times I've seen your avatar pic, I assumed you had Road Wheels.

Cars not specifically listed yet?
77-80 Roadrunners and R/Ts (although a green one pictured above)
'Sportwagons' of the same era, with the wheels and fender flares and some extra striping.
Mirada CMX could be had with a 195hp 360.
75 Cordoba could be equipped with (IIRC) an HP version of the 400, rated at 255hp.

I think there was Canadian-content laws back then, to where the models sold in Canada had to be X% Canadian designed/built, but I don't know for certain. Plus, I'd bet there were Canadians that wanted the new models as being Canada-unique and not available in the US, and there was enough justification to do that, in the minds of the manufacturers.
Yes, I agree. People think Canada is USA's 51st state, but Canucks have never really liked the USA. I toured all thru Canada 100's of times and there are many subtle differences. Most of their citizen "rights" are very weak versions of ours, mostly established in the 1950's. You find weird stuff whenever you travel. I never knew USA invaded Quebec in the 1790's. Quebec City has a beautiful memorial to the Canadians and British who pushed back USA troops over the cliffs. In 1865, Britian sent troops to join up with Canadian troops for plans to invade USA. In 1914, Canada with backing from Britian had plans to invade USA up to 1941, since Britian wasn't sure if USA would join Germans or British side. Don't play around with Canadian border patrol or get in trouble up in Canada. Canadian cops have more authority than USA. Plus Canadian laws states keeping quiet or asking for a lawyer is an admission of guilt in their court system.

Yes, I agree. People think Canada is USA's 51st state, but Canucks have never really liked the USA. I toured all thru Canada 100's of times and there are many subtle differences. Most of their citizen "rights" are very weak versions of ours, mostly established in the 1950's. You find weird stuff whenever you travel. I never knew USA invaded Quebec in the 1790's. Quebec City has a beautiful memorial to the Canadians and British who pushed back USA troops over the cliffs. In 1865, Britian sent troops to join up with Canadian troops for plans to invade USA. In 1914, Canada with backing from Britian had plans to invade USA up to 1941, since Britian wasn't sure if USA would join Germans or British side. Don't play around with Canadian border patrol or get in trouble up in Canada. Canadian cops have more authority than USA. Plus Canadian laws states keeping quiet or asking for a lawyer is an admission of guilt in their court system.
I worked with, flew with, and trained RCAF folks for nearly 33 years. They were pretty surprised when I'd mention a topic about their government, or mentioned a place that most Americans have never heard of, and be knowledgeable about it. I was also a Beaver leader for two years, which is the CA/UK version of the Cub Scouts. I dig Canada, but despise their current "leadership".

Last edited:
Sort-of. These have different qty of slots and slightly different shape in the center area, and they are aluminum, of course. But yes, very similar.
I have a set of these awaiting to polish and put on my 300L, and have a set of AMC caps same as you.
Of all the times I've seen your avatar pic, I assumed you had Road Wheels.

My former '73 came with those wheels; the previous owner had found them and replaced the original steel wheels and hubcaps.
I love these aluminum wheels. They are lightweight and of simple design with no trim ring. And, no rust too look out for!

my 1992 Daytona IROC R/T....DOHC, 16 valve intercooled turbo engine. !8K original miles

That motor added 7,000.00 to the cost of the car plus it had the CD player at another 1,200.00 This was an expensive car!!! LOW production figures too.

This example was about 23,000.00 ..... a small fortune at this time. Only thing lacking on it was the leather interior option.

The motor was used from 1991-93 in these cars and was rated at 224 horsepower on the 2.2 liter engine. ALL cars that came with this engine had a 5 speed transmission.
The head and all of the internals for it were built by Lotus in England. Among other things these items were unique to this motor: A/C, exhaust, the entire cooling system,
air cleaner components and a distributor that was just a module with no moving parts. Tires were unidirectional and my car still had the OEM tires in it.

1991-92 Sprit R/T (4 door sedan)
1992-93 Daytona R/T

more pics here:

1992 Daytona IROC R/T 5-2006 18,000 original miles

DSCN0021.JPG

Last edited:
That car is so unassuming in appearance!
Never would've guessed that as being an IROC.

I always loved the 1980's Chrysler Laser XE and XT Turbo with T-tops. Sure there were earlier digital dashes, but nothing as informative and lit up like the Laser. The Laser XE's was the first to have many car warnings by voice, such as low oil, emissions problems, suspension problems, doors ajar, etc. Also, faster than many cars, supposedly fastest in cornering and braking than a Porsche. Hard to believe but I think Porsches were always pretty crappy engineering until the 1990's.
D9mFUCvWkAArB1N.jpg
rNjbBw2b--vDj2ECSQu-jmquJpumEU.jpg
Screenshot 2022-10-03 at 20-27-43 top of line chrysler laser dash - Google Search.png

I always loved the 1980's Chrysler Laser XE and XT Turbo with T-tops. Sure there were earlier digital dashes, but nothing as informative and lit up like the Laser. The Laser XE's was the first to have many car warnings by voice, such as low oil, emissions problems, suspension problems, doors ajar, etc. Also, faster than many cars, supposedly fastest in cornering and braking than a Porsche. Hard to believe but I think Porsches were always pretty crappy engineering until the 1990's.
View attachment 561331View attachment 561332View attachment 561333
My aunt had a Chrysler Laser in dark brown. She drove mom and me up to a family reunion in northern Wisconsin in that car. Looked so much sportier than grandma's baby blue Horizon TC3.

I ma Mopar could of done something like this, R-bodies could of been that much cooler. But it's only a rendering.
1979-New-Yorker-ad-two-door.jpg

King Hooter - Yep, it was a time when most fathers bought a 2 door so they could still look sort of cool and look like a single guy without kids. 4 doors were only considered "family trucksters". Today, almost every car is 4 doors. I think almost all women choose the family car today.

Was in Folsom/Roseville area around Sac Town last weekend for a Kairos Prison Ministry. I saw two Fifth Avenues every day!! I wasn't driving so I didn't get to stop. One looked like it had been sitting for several years.

Back