The Right Car and the Right Deal. . .

Don't know if it was mentioned before but you may want to take a safe jack and check the spare before you leave.

You are less than a day away so that makes things much easier. Worse case scenario... You can park it and go back with a U-Haul with one of their trailers. Just tell them you are hauling a VW or something like that.

I did that once with a Corvette I bought in PA. The owner lied a little about the condition and how legal it was. I got it cheap on Ebay and they were having second thoughts about selling it, otherwise I would have come back for it another day.

To make a very, very long story short, we dropped the car at my brother inlaw's house near there and went back for it with a rented trailer.

The story is long, but pretty funny.... Ask me at Carlisle.

Congrats, and remember - I've got a 2 Dr HT 300 here if you want a pair. :D

Along with what everyone else has said, I'd suggest stopping every hour at the most, just to check things. You can catch a potential problem before it becomes one just by stopping to stretch your legs, popping the hood, and doing a walk around. Always easier to find and fix it in a rest area or parking lot than out on the road shoulder. Bring a replacement condenser, maybe a distributor cap. A condenser can go bad when you stop to have lunch and it doesn't have to be old. Shut to car off, all is fine. Try to start, dead. Cheap insurance, both are easy to change, and you'll need them someday anyhow.

Good news on the NC end is, 80s all week, mid 70s Saturday and sunshine. So heat shouldn't be an issue. I'm sorta north-central NC, near Franklinton off Rte 1 and maybe 10-12 miles east of I-85 in Oxford. I'll shoot you my phone info via PM - if you get into a pinch, holler. I plan to be around all weekend moving stuff to storage and working around the yard. Worst case scenario, we can pull parts off the Shark iff'n need be to get you home.

Enjoy the trip!

I love my car, but it's not doing me a lot of good right now as it sits. So if it can help out in a pinch, at least we get some good out of it in the short term. Got a feeling it's going to end up with Gary/Wollfen in the very near future for storage and some tinkering.

Saves Rip hauling along a bunch of big, heavy stuff. Got a floor jack and jack stands handy, too. Have pickup, can travel.

Congrats, and remember - I've got a 2 Dr HT 300 here if you want a pair. :D

Along with what everyone else has said, I'd suggest stopping every hour at the most, just to check things. You can catch a potential problem before it becomes one just by stopping to stretch your legs, popping the hood, and doing a walk around. Always easier to find and fix it in a rest area or parking lot than out on the road shoulder. Bring a replacement condenser, maybe a distributor cap. A condenser can go bad when you stop to have lunch and it doesn't have to be old. Shut to car off, all is fine. Try to start, dead. Cheap insurance, both are easy to change, and you'll need them someday anyhow.

Good news on the NC end is, 80s all week, mid 70s Saturday and sunshine. So heat shouldn't be an issue. I'm sorta north-central NC, near Franklinton off Rte 1 and maybe 10-12 miles east of I-85 in Oxford. I'll shoot you my phone info via PM - if you get into a pinch, holler. I plan to be around all weekend moving stuff to storage and working around the yard. Worst case scenario, we can pull parts off the Shark iff'n need be to get you home.

Enjoy the trip!

Boomer:

Thank you so much for the advice and the offer of scavenged parts. I'm gonna be way west of where you are, so I won't disturb your weekend. Thanks again!

You are less than a day away so that makes things much easier. Worse case scenario... You can park it and go back with a U-Haul with one of their trailers. Just tell them you are hauling a VW or something like that.

I did that once with a Corvette I bought in PA. The owner lied a little about the condition and how legal it was. I got it cheap on Ebay and they were having second thoughts about selling it, otherwise I would have come back for it another day.

To make a very, very long story short, we dropped the car at my brother inlaw's house near there and went back for it with a rented trailer.

The story is long, but pretty funny.... Ask me at Carlisle.

John: I hear what yer saying about moving quickly once a deal is made. There can be both buyer's and seller's remorse sometimes. . .

FWIW, I've driven three of the Newps home to Albany, NY from where they were purchased.

The convertible from Indianapolis, flew out, bought it from the PO at the airport, and immediately started driving home from there. Took two days with a stop in Niagara Falls the first day. No problems or breakdowns. Top down the whole way.

The Silver 2DHT from Kearny, NJ, Had a friend drive down to the PO's house, a little price negotiating, and then we started driving home. Stopped to fuel up and then stopped at a diner for lunch. Came back out and found a 1 foot puddle under the gas tank. Found a leak at the seam of the tank. Got in and drove home with no issues and my friend following. The leak stopped when the tank went below 1/2 full.

The Turbine Bronze 2DHT from Wausau, WI, flew out, PO picked me up at the airport, drove to his house. The car had a couple of issues that he didn't address. After a price adjustment, I started driving home. Went to an auto parts store to stock up for the ride. I checked the spare tire and found a nail in it. Had that fixed at a tire store and kept going. About 180 miles later, a belt broke and it overheated. I got lucky and made it to a rest area and got it flatbedded to a repair shop. Three hours, a thermostat, and new belts and I was on my way. Made it to Erie PA the first night and then home the next day.

The guy I bought the bronze Newp from reminded me of Jerry Lundegarde from Fargo. I had asked him to go over the car and address any issues for a long drive. I realized when I got there that he had done nothing and told me the spare was good.

Hence the price adjustment.

I took this pic doing 50mph on US route 224:
IMG_0505.JPG

Even with the spare tire and breakdown, it was an awesome trip and I would do it again. 1240 miles all by myself, a stop at Murray Park's, and a few other adventure stories made it special.

It sounds like you're committed to do the drive, so enjoy it and be safe.

It'll be a great story you can tell at shows and cruise ins.

Hope the long winded input helps.

John

FWIW, I've driven three of the Newps home to Albany, NY from where they were purchased.

The convertible from Indianapolis, flew out, bought it from the PO at the airport, and immediately started driving home from there. Took two days with a stop in Niagara Falls the first day. No problems or breakdowns. Top down the whole way.

The Silver 2DHT from Kearny, NJ, Had a friend drive down to the PO's house, a little price negotiating, and then we started driving home. Stopped to fuel up and then stopped at a diner for lunch. Came back out and found a 1 foot puddle under the gas tank. Found a leak at the seam of the tank. Got in and drove home with no issues and my friend following. The leak stopped when the tank went below 1/2 full.

The Turbine Bronze 2DHT from Wausau, WI, flew out, PO picked me up at the airport, drove to his house. The car had a couple of issues that he didn't address. After a price adjustment, I started driving home. Went to an auto parts store to stock up for the ride. I checked the spare tire and found a nail in it. Had that fixed at a tire store and kept going. About 180 miles later, a belt broke and it overheated. I got lucky and made it to a rest area and got it flatbedded to a repair shop. Three hours, a thermostat, and new belts and I was on my way. Made it to Erie PA the first night and then home the next day.

The guy I bought the bronze Newp from reminded me of Jerry Lundegarde from Fargo. I had asked him to go over the car and address any issues for a long drive. I realized when I got there that he had done nothing and told me the spare was good.

Hence the price adjustment.

I took this pic doing 50mph on US route 224:
View attachment 78847

Even with the spare tire and breakdown, it was an awesome trip and I would do it again. 1240 miles all by myself, a stop at Murray Park's, and a few other adventure stories made it special.

It sounds like you're committed to do the drive, so enjoy it and be safe.

It'll be a great story you can tell at shows and cruise ins.

Hope the long winded input helps.

John

John: Thank you so much for your words of encouragement - and for the stories of your journey(s). I hope mine turns out to be as much fun as yours. Jerry Lundegarde. . . Now that is funny. Did he try to sell you that bogus undercoat too ?

John: Thank you so much for your words of encouragement - and for the stories of your journey(s). I hope mine turns out to be as much fun as yours. Jerry Lundegarde. . . Now that is funny. Did he try to sell you that bogus undercoat too ?

No undercoat. He figured out pretty quickly that I knew these cars.

I was very close to getting back on a plane and taking the loss.

But I got to meet the son of the original owner and he was a great guy. His mother had died in 1980, but he kept the car registered and insured until 2009. Only drove it once a month or so.

I showed him pics of the other Newps and told him about them being in the movie and he seemed to relax. I think he regretted selling it to "Jerry the flipper".

I feel very fortunate to have these cars, and the stories attached to them.

John

No undercoat. He figured out pretty quickly that I knew these cars.

I was very close to getting back on a plane and taking the loss.

But I got to meet the son of the original owner and he was a great guy. His mother had died in 1980, but he kept the car registered and insured until 2009. Only drove it once a month or so.

I showed him pics of the other Newps and told him about them being in the movie and he seemed to relax. I think he regretted selling it to "Jerry the flipper".

I feel very fortunate to have these cars, and the stories attached to them.

John

That is one of the things I love about old cars - or antiques in general. There is always a story to be told.

Late to the party....

A can of carb cleaner and give it a blast before heading on the road. A small 2 ton portable floor jack and a couple of jack stand's. I would conduct a quick inspection under the car looking at steering, suspension, and check the U-joints. It would be crazy to be stuck on the road for a bad $10 U-Joint...I just don't trust anyone when they say it's all good.

Back