The Sheriff

Well I screwed up trimming for fit. *&$%%%$##$# :angryfire:!!! But the lows were brought up and the patch is finally tacked. And after oh who knows how damn long it looks like a rear quarter again. I have to cut more filler for the stuff I trimmed too much of. That I'll do over the next week or so then I'll tack that up. Grind down the tacks, if everything looks good I'll start stitching it together. But for now this is one big monster out of my way.

IMAG0980-L.jpg

Went out this evening and ground the tacks down a little bit. Over all I think i may be happy when it's done.

IMAG0983-L.jpg

Last edited:
Ground down some additional tacks, hit the area with a DA with 120 grit. Then I went after stitching it together. I went out of my plan and I'm sure it came back to bite me in the ***. I got more warp-age than I had hoped for and planishing the welds was a royal pain as the gap between the outer and inner skin was way too tight. So the original panel tried to twist under while the patch tried to rotate over. So at this point I'll be grinding down the welds and figuring out a way to bring it back shouldn't be too hard, just gotta ask it nicely.

IMAG0984-L.jpg

The HAZ was smaller than I expected except for the vertical stitch. Oh well. I had the MIG set at a higher temp than I would normally even consider for 20ga but I was stitching in very short bursts trying to keep the bead less proud than would otherwise be. used my settings that I use for 16ga exhaust pipe. Trying to short cut my way to less grinder time.

IMAG0986-L.jpg

Last edited:
Very good work!

Thank you. I wouldn't consider it very good as this is the first time attempting to make a patch let alone do body work. But I'm trying to learn. Age is finally giving me the patience to only rush half way through..

Thank you. I wouldn't consider it very good as this is the first time attempting to make a patch let alone do body work. But I'm trying to learn. Age is finally giving me the patience to only rush half way through..

I can't wait to see the finished product with paint on it. Are you going to Carlisle?

I'm wondering where the mythical "Pit of Hell" is close to in Maryland.

:campfire:

I pretty much consider all of MD the pit of hell. But the center for the moment seems to be Owings Mills.

Last edited:
:BangHead:

Damn... So I get to this point that the whole thing is stitched and the welds ground down. YAY. I do one last check before I try to bring up the lows on the seam, looking for pin holes etc. So I break out the flashlight and I find about 5 pin holes but they seem in really odd places. It appears in my haste I was mis holding the cutoff wheel or went to aggressive with the flapper wheel and was touching the new patch in places that I didn't expect. No worries, break out the mig and tack em up and we'll be one our way. ENNNNNT! I start blowing through the first two holes. WTF? Metal is thinner than I thought. Sticker and receipt says 20ga and the edges mic close to what it should be but near the seam it's really thin. So rather than make more patches for the patch, it's all being cut out and done again. It's only going to be a driver but I want any filler that I have to use to stay where it's put.

SO lesson learned, grind the welds with the cutoff wheel at a 90 degree angle and leave the damned 24 grit flapper in the tool chest. I'll just hand
file what's left from the cutoff wheel this go around.

This is what it looked like before I went to tack the pin holes;

IMAG0995-L.jpg

Last edited:
Still crackin. I hope the results are better this go around.

My new wheels and tires showed up this weekend. Not that I wanted or needed new wheels, tires were a must. The price of the wheels with tires in spectacular shape, two spare matching tires, with 75% or better tread (nubs still between the tread), were less than i'd have spent for one wheel (buck and a quarter), I couldn't pass it up. No more wondering if I'm going to blow out driving around the block, or moving in and out of the garage, from the dry rot and cap separation.

IMAG1004-L.jpg

My next issue to deal with, the holes where the sheriff had the whip mounted. Now I could leave this as is, since it is part of the providence of the history as a Sheriffs car. However the plate they brazed behind the quarter panel rattles with any vibration so something has to happen. Not real sure what I'm going to do yet. The bit that scares me though is there's another very similar patch in the center front of the roof. My gut tells me it's the mounting area for the bubble. I really don't want to deal with that though.

IMAG1027-L.jpg

IMAG1028-L.jpg

Last edited:
The drum beats slowly sometimes. Or in my case all the time. The drivers side is getting closer to being straight. Rear quarter is almost done, all the thin metal has been replaced and welded up. I have one more trim hole to create a plug for and weld and the remainder of the quarter will be blocked out.

Door gaps are MUCH better than when I started on this thing. Bottom of the door at the corner to the quarter fit was 3/16"s off, door stuck out. There was no further adjustment I could get out of the hinges so.. I had to slice the rocker and q-panel, move everything outward, then weld it back up. Used 16ga in these two areas a I feel the strength was needed. It's as good as it's getting due to the fact that if I want each line and gap to be where I'd like it there's going to be lots of slicing and welding, and I wanna drive this thing a again sometime before my son hits 10....

The sail panel was actually the hardest thing for me to deal with as it was just a lot of hammering, hammering, checking, hammering, rechecking, filing and then finally filling. Then deciding I didn't like the way I applied the filler, so off it came, looked for more places to raise/lower and repeat the whole process.

The drip rail and other trim has been removed now and I'm starting on the roof. Trying to determine what to replace the sealer in the channel with as well. Door hardware was put back on so I can at least get into the damn thing. Then hopefully I can get it turned around so I can get the Passenger side done during the winter.

IMAG1105-L.jpg

IMAG1242-L.jpg

Last edited:
You give me inspiration. I'm just starting my project and you are definately not taking any short cut and doing it right. When you get it done it will be beautiful I'm sure.

I am sooo impressed that you're doing that yourself. Looks great.

I laugh out loud every time I read your location. Sorry that you have to live in the pit of hell. You can't move?

I am sooo impressed that you're doing that yourself. Looks great.

I laugh out loud every time I read your location. Sorry that you have to live in the pit of hell. You can't move?

Yeah we're looking at a move to either CT or up one state to PA in July '13. Neither are my ultimate choice where to be. PA is cheaper than MD, but all my family is in CT. So for the sake of the kid growing up around family we're pushing hard to get up there. Good part is the employer will let me work remote for the most part, I actually haven't been to the office in 2 months, it's only 6 miles away... Their one caveat is that they prefer I stay in the same timezone. So we'll see. Better half hasn't worked in two years so that coupled with a long term lease that doesn't expire til July the whole process is slowwwwwww.

Where would we rather be? MT or WY way out in the sticks. Like somewhere between Chugwater and Casper in WY wouldn't be too bad.

Last edited:
There are certain shall we say political motivations for me to exit MD. PA, however bad, would be a huge improvement.

Back