The toys that made a difference to you...

Super cool thread... Many of my toys were hand-me-downs... we weren't rich, but not that poor... I think my folks had a different set of priorities than I did. I am the oldest kid of my generation, so they were quite young and less well off at the time and I was the prime target for stuff their siblings had outgrown. Don't like to relive those years in the second half of the 70's when I fit the pants many of my aunt's discarded... Mom was one of nine. Luckily I was tall enough by junior high that nobody else had anything that fit. I also killed my old pants every summer doing bondo and undercoating and whatever else was on my summer chore list... I was never allowed to wear school clothes to play in.

Some of my all time favorites...
had this set
il_fullxfull.275496725.jpg

The newer stuff was already going to plastic back in my era... this one was great. My set couldn't fit into the box there was so many additional items added over the years... other sets I assume...

I had one similar to this, but couldn't find the exact model...
853-1.jpg

1977?? I swear mine was before that... I distinctly remember rack and pinion steering and the pistons moving while you pushed it, but mine also had arches for fenders and spoke wheels... I don't recall a jeep option or I would have built it. It was the goto toy for me to bring anytime we visited someone... I could fieldstrip and rebuild that thing in a time that would have made almost anyone proud, except my folks who were really just interested in keeping me out of trouble.

Last seen the grim remains were still at my maternal grandmother's house for the cousins to play with... now the cousins children... wasn't much left of them or my matchbox/hot wheels cars... which once had paint and wheels.

I had a similar Erector set .. real METAL :) The Lego-mobile, if 1977, was outside my formative years, so I missed out on that cool kit.

I did the model cars from the era .. earlier in this thread I posted this Monogram model "montage" of the stuff I built from early 60's to about 1972.

Monogram.jpg

I loved model cars/planes. Build em paint them make them do crazy jumps light them on fire..
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Then got into the space scene
image.jpeg

But before all that like Cantflip had this..
image.jpeg

And finally put it all together and i got one of these where i could put all those skills to use

image.jpeg

We used to paint the cars put fat tires on them and of course light them on fire...

Interesting how many of us had similar passions growing up...must be a prerequisite to owing C bodies..

I loved model cars/planes. Build em paint them make them do crazy jumps light them on fire..
View attachment 89462
View attachment 89463
View attachment 89464

View attachment 89465
And finally put it all together and i got one of these where i could put all those skills to use

View attachment 89466

We used to paint the cars put fat tires on them and of course light them on fire...

I was with you until the "set on fire" part .. I'm just mad I didnt think of something cool like that :)

Last edited:
Interesting how many of us had similar passions growing up...must be a prerequisite to owing C bodies..

there is commonality here for sure. you're right.

The "nerdy academic" in me has been pondering whether its just a trend among those who posted (we self-selected to post because we had similar toys in common), OR if what's been posted is a "sufficient statistical" sample size to make predictions (kinda like if the parents are tall, likely their kids will be tall) about our membership -- even those who have not posted anything.

All that aside, thanks for your contribution!

I was with you until the "set on fire" part .. I'm just mad I didnt think of something cool like that :)
We were lucky we didn't burn the house down but it was cool seeing a slot car going around the track with its tires or hood on fire ....

I didn't have an allowance, but anytime I had cash... model cars were the top pick... or bicycle tires/tubes... I moved out with a duffle bag as soon as I turned 18... left everything behind. Years later when my folks split up I was given some of the remaining stuff back. Must have been well over 50 model cars...

Also had a little crappy HO circle track train that tried to make it around the x-mas tree and the one toy I do still have is my father's/uncle's remains or Lionel sets... never complete and working, but I love those still and mine have zero value... so they managed to survive.

A great hand me down....
AURORA_MoDEL_MoToRING_FOUR_LANE_CLASSIC_40_SLOT_CAR_RACING_SET_1505_CONTENTS_CARS.JPG
BOX_7_GROUP_26_ITEM_08A.JPG
7b8165d586ddb7409832532b09f53f28.jpg

Remains of 2 sets I believe... I spent a lot of time getting it working just to find I needed tires... found a hobby store with tires, and ruined them in no time, by then the hobby store was out of business. Gave all that was left away to someone who collected it in the 90's... didn't even like the person (girlfriends best friend) just didn't want to throw it away. she had a dresser full of track... maybe it got used at some point. The Riv was always my favorite... shoulda kept it.

Worlds best hand-me-down...
03.jpg

I think mine even had more crap on it... I remember 5 speeds and that shifter. First bike... I could barely straddle the thing... then it got stolen off the front porch along with the cheap combination lock that secured it... I found out later that everyone knew how to pick those locks.

Christmas, folks bought the cheapest thing sears had... pedal fell off and was cross threaded... for some reason I was held responsible and it never got fixed. Didn't like Japanese products for a long time after that...

By spring I had enough and started collecting every thrown away bicycle in the surrounding neighborhoods... that is when I discovered once and for all the BEST toys I was never allowed to own as a kid...
il_570xN.719782828_4r7c.jpg

I think it was mostly 1/2 and 1/4 drive SAE in there... it looked like this back then too. I built my bikes out of that stash of scrap until mom found them under the front porch and I was forced to throw it all away.

At 12 I had a paper route and a customer gave me one of these...
s-l1000.jpg

Hung baskets on it front and rear and used it to deliver the Pittsburgh Press... I bought and built a few more from there... the best/worst being my homemade BMX wannabe I used the crank of the western flyer on a 20" frame and had to level the pedals before leaning at all... As soon as I could drive, bicycles were done.

Last edited:
By spring I had enough and started collecting every thrown away bicycle in the surrounding neighborhoods... that is when I discovered once and for all the BEST toys I was never allowed to own as a kid...

I still have a couple of those ... my Dad had one exactly the same. When i was 20 or 21 I bought one just like it and still have it. Miss him every day.

I also collected beer cans and still can't let them go although they are just unceremoniously in storage in some trash bags some 35+ years later. Nothing special, no cone-tops or anything.

I still have a couple of those ... my Dad had one exactly the same. When i was 20 or 21 I bought one just like it and still have it. Miss him every day.

I also collected beer cans and still can't let them go although they are just unceremoniously in storage in some trash bags some 35+ years later. Nothing special, no cone-tops or anything.
I over compensated... should have gone to beer cans... would have been much cheaper.

started out with matchbox cars that came in a cardboard box
th

then went to board games. this was a favorite but a real finger pincher
th

then graduated to model cars
th

johangc964-1964plymouthpetty.JPG

P7042766-vi.jpg

th

also had a schwinn stingray with the 3 speed and racing slick
th

Anything cars. Corgi cars, slot cars, plastic model kits, promos, you name it. Fortunately they got boxed up and put away by the folks and not thrown out. I still have a lot of these.

It wasen't that kind of stick...... It was very versatile though. I could drag it along a chain link fence, clear spider webs away from my path, knock cans around with it.
I got it free from out in a field somewhere. It lasted a long time

It probably wasn't a Japanese made stick then, they were really cheap, and broke the first time you played with them.

View attachment 89462
View attachment 89463
View attachment 89464

View attachment 89465

View attachment 89466

My model cars had this odd tendency to explode.

Back