The toys that made a difference to you...

That's Dick Landy with the stoogie in his mouth.

i'll be... you're right. good eye man! i was just looking for stock internet bicycle wheelies from the 1960's.

Given his status in Mopar and racing yore, and obviously he's an adult in the photo, Dandy Dick get's a pass for using the wheelie bar :icon_pirat:

7584cfe4b2e6b063f395b85fa4c0be3f.jpg

BP_DickLandy01.jpg

I have been a motor-head my whole life !!! As a toddler I wouldn't go to sleep until I had all my cars in bed with me

My first collection that I can remember, was a fleet of police and fire chief Mustangs... i snagged this one on ebay several years ago = I haven't been able to locate a Fire Chief yetView attachment 61450
My first set of cool wheels was this chopper trike = My "Cheetah" was quicker than all my buddies Big wheels !!

38792_1368830820207_763214_n.jpg

What scale were These Mustangs ? These look pretty much like one model I got in Spain in 1984 which I think was about 1:18 or even a bit larger, haven't had it in my Hands for a while. It has no Chrome trim though, no Windows and a Roof rack, possibly the molds went to another manufacturer that did a cheaper Repro. There's no trace as of what manufacturer it came from.

38792_1368830820207_763214_n.jpg

I wasn't terribly interested in cars until I received a set ot of four Matchbox cars, which included this one.
$_35.JPG

Later, I also bought this one.

matchbox-pontiac-coupe-22-detail.jpg

The thing that I liked most about the Matchbox and Hot Wheels cars of that time was the fact that they looked like real cars that were parked on my street and being driven around the city. As a kid, I didn't like toy cars that looked like something that didn't exist in reality. Maybe that made me a strange kid, I don't know. :laughing1: So, even though these were very small, it was the fact that they looked like real cars that got me hooked.

This is probably the first Hot Wheels car I ever had. Mine was actually a bit darker green than this, but I loved that car.
s-l1000.jpg

I had these which, of course, made the cars more fun.
kgrhqyokiye8u9-duebpigzro5cq60_57.jpg
img_2043.jpg

I also had this one. Definitely one of my favorite toys.
super-charger-sprint-set-1.jpg

So, there you have it. :laughing7: If it hadn't been for these tiny cars, something else likely would have gotten my attention and I don't know if I even would've become interested in cars or the automotive hobby.

View attachment 61506

What scale were These Mustangs ? These look pretty much like one model I got in Spain in 1984 which I think was about 1:18 or even a bit larger, haven't had it in my Hands for a while. It has no Chrome trim though, no Windows and a Roof rack, possibly the molds went to another manufacturer that did a cheaper Repro. There's no trace as of what manufacturer it came from.

I just looked mine over very closely - I even used a magnifying glass = and I could not find any molded manufacturing labels /symbols / trademarks / dates = nothing!!! It is @ 1:18 scale and the body plastic is flexible = not polystyrene ! Now I am curious as to who and where they were made!!

I also remember having a Spirograph and a Viewmaster. Does anyone remember the old hexagon shaped Sargent Crayons?

I actually never got rid of these. They're still packed away in a box somewhere.
$(KGrHqYOKocE6vyuSoknBOvm1kv+d!~~60_35.JPG

$_35.JPG

My friends and I all tried to collect the whole set. We were never able to, but they sure made us buy quite a few packages of gum with one card in every pack. :laughing4:

One of my clearest earliest memories when I was about 4 years old is playing with my Dinky toys in the sand box. My favourite was a green Euclid dump truck.

965c.jpg

post a few "modern" toys if you can? some of us "graybeards" might still recognize them. :icon_pirat:

enjoy these years of youth brother...time flies!
Yea time Does fly by, Thankfully I had a Amazing childhood when I look back at it. From the Time I was born til about 18 was nothing but Consent fun pretty much I was always encouraged to be Creative and had a Wonderful imagination and Was ALWAYS taking S#%T apart I couldn't leave nothing left alone...hell I am still like that but I have "Some" self control now and at least now I know how to put it back together lol.

I just looked mine over very closely - I even used a magnifying glass = and I could not find any molded manufacturing labels /symbols / trademarks / dates = nothing!!! It is @ 1:18 scale and the body plastic is flexible = not polystyrene ! Now I am curious as to who and where they were made!!

I think I'll go up the attic now fishing for it. ;)

Everything I have posted I still feel great about 40 years later. I look back and smile but one toy..hours and hours spent playing it .. was a bit frustrating.

The action was unpredictable no matter how I set my guys up, throwing and kicking was difficult, then my Mom wasn't keen on the noise on top of all that. Nevertheless, me and guys played these games endlessly.

Perhaps your results are different IF you had this kinda setup, so any good things to say are welcome too of course :icon_cheese:

the rules and game operation: https://www.tudorgames.com/download...Football_90x1_Series_Official_Rules_FINAL.pdf

EF-Slides0005-Version-2.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgFZIS_a3CE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq6Dq3EBam8

Last edited:
This was my first bike. It had a real wide square "cheater slick" in the rear which probably resulted in a lot of road rash when raining, but it was cool not practical. Loved that bike till I ran it into a moving Ford Maverick, I recovered after 3 months in a body cast, the bike never worked right again.my first bike.jpg

my first bike.jpg

This was my first bike. It had a real wide square "cheater slick" in the rear which probably resulted in a lot of road rash when raining, but it was cool not practical. Loved that bike till I ran it into a moving Ford Maverick, I recovered after 3 months in a body cast, the bike never worked right again.

Yikes...trust you recovered ok. scary!

"cheater" slicks...yeah buddy. I chewed through 3-4 of em to my recollection..peddle fast, slam on the brakes, try to get the rear tire to slide sideways or straight in the direction of foward motion, and viola..leave some rubber on the pavement/gravel :icon_smile:

Friends and I had hours of fun with one of these when I was a kid. We used to watch the Maple Leafs on a black and white TV. They were actually a good team back in the mid 60's.

EAGLE_TOYS_LIMITED_MAJOR_LEAGE_TABLE_HOCKEY_GAME_5100-5101_MONTREAL_CANADIANS_VS_TORONTO_MAPLE_LEAFS_RINK.JPG

Yikes...trust you recovered ok. scary!

"cheater" slicks...yeah buddy. I chewed through 3-4 of em to my recollection..peddle fast, slam on the brakes, try to get the rear tire to slide sideways or straight in the direction of foward motion, and viola..leave some rubber on the pavement/gravel :icon_smile:

Yep I survived just fine. I would lower the air down in the tire and watch it wrinkle up like the slicks on drag cars. See I have not changed much. LOL

First was Tonka trucks - I got a loader on year, dump truck the next. Then Erector sets. Then Matchboxes and track. Then Electric trains, then AFX slot cars... I'd be willing to be Mom and Dad thought better in hindsight when there was antfreeze running out of the garage and the car I just bought I'd taken the cylinder heads off of...

We found a box of 45 rpm records discarded from a jukebox behind a bar and discovered the hole was a perfect fit for the then available cherry bomb firecrackers. We would light the fuse with grandpa's pilfered White Owl and fling it like a frisbee to watch it explode mid-air. What fun and yeah, there were kids that were not allowed to play with us. We all turned green from puffing on that cigar too.

My Dad and I got into this hobby along about 1965 and it ended when we moved to Detroit in the early 1970's (stupid teenage peer pressure made me give it up, plus a lot of them were lost in the urban setting).

I don't remember how many of these I had..maybe 30 or so. I know I had the Constellation (many an insect rode that baby in the 'see through" payload section), Shrike, and Avenger rockets shown below. Big Bertha is another name I remember. I also had many of the NASA rockets of the 1960's.

Higher, faster, ... seeing 'em go off never got old.:icon_lol:

My one and only Camroc was lost on its first mission and I never got another one. Recall that $4.75 (2-3x some of the other kits) in 1966 was like $35.00 today..so one use and gone did not compute with my Dad who was financing the deal.

I don't know what became of them exactly but the few I had left were boxed away when I went to college and were never seen again.

catalog2.jpg

73est22.jpg

Estes_motor_sizes.jpg

work1.gif

cutaway%2Bengine_col.gif

I know a few of the members who had comic books in the 1960's and early 1970's may have seen these.

I admit to falling for 5 of the 10 shown (the sea monkeys, the army men, the X-ray glasses, the lunar module, and the submarine) plus a couple others not in this video (e.g., the "Hercules" wrist bands -- the only thing "herculean" was the effort to cure the skin rash I got -- when I thought I was "Thor").

The lifelong lessons learned painfully with my $5 per month allowance for household chores? No such thing as a "free lunch", AND "if its too good to be true, then it is".

https://youtu.be/0C-BRvwx88w

Hercules WB.jpg
3484444-7140036949-Kirby.jpg

Hercules WB.jpg

Back