The world is now a better place - a new formal hits the road

So here is the final breakdown. Not sure if these are good or bad numbers, but this is what it cost me:
- Car $5000 solid driver, rust free with 100k miles
- Paint - $5000 included painting major interior pieces. I delivered a denuded car, they stripped it.
- Upholstery and carpet - $3,000. Includes $1000 for all carpet and fabric from SMS and the guy to recover front seats, door cards, cargo carpet pads, headliner.
- Woodgrain - $1000 - $750 + 250 install
- Rechrome exterior - $1200 (sans rear bumper)
- polish belt line molding - $950
- custom fab roof rack parts - $300
- new dash pad - $200.

Roof rack parts were impossible to find and had to be made. Headliner was tough to get decent replacement fabric. SMS had a dead-on match for upholstery. Polishing the trim seems expensive but the guy made all the old aluminum look like new chrome. Interior plastic is only so good and the wheel covers are not concours.

So I got a brand new 77 Chrysler for about 17k +/-. Still could use new tires. I’ll do the brakes and maybe pull the engine and detail the bay next winter. Going to have fun with it next summer.
Thanks for sharing these numbers, that’s very kind of you.

Beautiful wagon awesome work. I try to block out of my mind what I have spent on Goldie, I have a big think folder of receipts, but never plan to total up the numbers. :)

I rarely see numbers posted for these things. We do them because we want to retain something. Like a work of art. I’m preserving this for the next guy. I wasn’t afraid to add this one up. It’s not perfect, but it’s real nice.

Gesswien had one for 20k about the same time. Sure it is ‘all original’ but what I have now is probably as good mechanically and ‘new’ cosmetically for about the same. I have a few hundred hours in but I‘m free. My sisters and I will take a road trip east this summer just like in 77.

And, it’s a great car. But my 78 NYB is nicer!

When the weather gets warmer, or when you can, I’d love to see an “all in one” picture of your fleet Eddie. Throughout your other threads we’ve seen them here and there. But! Just say’en...

I rarely see numbers posted for these things. We do them because we want to retain something. Like a work of art. I’m preserving this for the next guy. I wasn’t afraid to add this one up. It’s not perfect, but it’s real nice.

Gesswien had one for 20k about the same time. Sure it is ‘all original’ but what I have now is probably as good mechanically and ‘new’ cosmetically for about the same. I have a few hundred hours in but I‘m free. My sisters and I will take a road trip east this summer just like in 77.

And, it’s a great car. But my 78 NYB is nicer!
You and I think alike :thumbsup::thumbsup:

This was last June. Never emptied the barn this year. Been a few additions and subtractions. The oldest now is a 50 m-47 Mercedes and the newest is a 17 Tesla X. The quarter miler went to Denmark. The caddy went to a local family. A few more moved on. A few more can in!
F2EAB949-393B-4DE5-A297-07E0725A7790.jpeg

This was last June. Never emptied the barn this year. Been a few additions and subtractions. The oldest now is a 50 m-47 Mercedes and the newest is a 17 Tesla X. The quarter miler went to Denmark. The caddy went to a local family. A few more moved on. A few more can in!
View attachment 156062

Holy **** Batman!! Wow! I was expecting a couple cars... but! Wow! Nice fleet..

View attachment 156062
Did you need a helicopter to get them all in the picture.. lol

I took it apart about this time last year. Finished reassembly yesterday.

Now I know why your handle here is Fast Eddie...

Congrats!

View attachment 156062
I just want to clarify. The cars in the picture were all in storage and you pulled them all out for a photo shoot? Quite the fleet. Even more impressed with the work you did on the wagon with all the other cars in the collection.

I just want to clarify. The cars in the picture were all in storage and you pulled them all out for a photo shoot? Quite the fleet. Even more impressed with the work you did on the wagon with all the other cars in the collection.
Yeah. Spring cleaning. Couple of those were concours restorations. Most are all cosmetically #2’s or low mileage originals

View attachment 156062
Your insurance agent must love you...

Your insurance agent must love you...
Not really. Hagerty likes me. They have all the classics. Ins agent is struggling. I got booted off my umbrella because I exceeded the ‘maximum number of cars allowed’. Sentinel was the carrier I believe and the agent has not found a replacement Co. Apparently they won’t underwrite more than 9 cars to a household.

Back