Things that say you're "Home"

This one means "get ready to switch expressways and exit..."

0b287695984f782497045c716200bf86.jpg

1960s view:

34d0ffb1201a8e15395edd5291998230--metro-detroit-detroit-michigan.jpg

Car starts going thumpety-thump as soon as i cross the Ohio-Michigan border headed north. Every car i've owned had the same symptoms. Amazin'

gotta be the road itself then huh, unless you know what it really is?

if so, same thing happens to me. two examples (sorry folks, gotta lament here with a local member :) ).

Been driving M-14 home from Ann Arbor for almost 40 years. First me, then my kids. In at least 15 different vehicles from my own college beater to brand-spankin' new company cars from Caddies to Vettes to vans. That Eastbound stretch between Dixboro and Gotfredson always make the tires chatter for about four miles.

same thing crossing border between Ohio/Michigan on I-75 North. You could close your eyes and know you were in Michigan by how rough the road INSTANTLY becomes .. also for almost 40 years of drivin' that stretch. Vice versa .. you knew you were in Ohio by how smooth things got.

Arborland Mall sign, US-23 at Washtenaw, Ann Arbor MI. The mall is vastly different since I first saw this sign in 1978 If you didnt know it then, you would recognize now but I digress.

Lived in Ann Arbor for 6 years (my undergrad, then wife's grad work at Meechigan), and then frequented it for 6 more years when my kids did their thing there, so its like a second home.

Plus, in my college days the sign meant you had arrived in friendly territory, all your transgressions forgiven on your way back from that school at the other end of Washtenaw in Ypsilanti. Eastern Michigan .. where you could find a party ANY night of the week vs. button-down, buckle-down U of Mich. :)

00-1-2-9.jpg
00-1-2-9.jpg

Last edited:
And this one means: "you're daydreaming and missed your exit dumba**s!"

View attachment 139739

so true ... that frickin' exit off I-75 is hidden tho. I swear it is (its NOT, but thats my story and Im stickin to it).

Then its like a doggone Twilight Zone episode when you see the HQ building you wanted to go to .. and go "WTF just happened?". :)

When you've been away from home for a while, or not but just had a rough time away, what is usually the first thing you see that let's you know you're "home?"

More and more these days, we find ourselves traveling home "the back way." I hate driving I-95 and I-270 anymore. The back way usually brings us through Charlestown, WV, Harper's Ferry and finally past the old Point of Rocks rail road depot that is about twenty minutes from home. Whether driving home or traveling on the Capitol Limited, the old depot is there to greet me.
upload_2017-8-25_7-59-32.jpeg

I sort of hate to claim one that's already been used, but 100% "the big tire". I hated when they ditched the whitewall and hubcap. I'm sure this sign is iconic for millions of Detroiters given its proximity to the airport and "the Detroit Industrial Expressway" (to use the civil defense name). I made sure to point it out to a friend from Phoenix visiting Detroit for the first time.View attachment 139734

Its cool man .. tire's there for everybody. :)

I too was bummin' whenever they "updated" the tire to a blackwall and put that dot com crap on it. It was coolest and best with whitewall and hubcap .. like it had in the beginning.

Oh, for non locals, NO truth to the urban legend that it broke free and rolled across the road and killed some ______________ (fill in the blank). Its a myth - never happened. :)

Last edited:
Arborland Mall sign, US-23 at Washtenaw, Ann Arbor MI. The mall is vastly different since I first saw this sign in 1978 If you didnt know it then, you would recognize now but I digress.

Lived in Ann Arbor for 6 years (my undergrad, then wife's grad work at Meechigan), and then frequented it for 6 more years when my kids did their thing there, so its like a second home.

Plus, in my college days the sign meant you had arrived in friendly territory, all your transgressions forgiven on your way back from that school at the other end of Washtenaw in Ypsilanti. Eastern Michigan .. where you could find a party ANY night of the week vs. button-down, buckle-down U of Mich. :)

View attachment 139738View attachment 139741
That's when I know I'm almost to one of my sister's house.

More and more these days, we find ourselves traveling home "the back way." I hate driving I-95 and I-270 anymore. The back way usually brings us through Charlestown, WV, Harper's Ferry and finally past the old Point of Rocks rail road depot that is about twenty minutes from home. Whether driving home or traveling on the Capitol Limited, the old depot is there to greet me.
View attachment 139740

neat story Ripinator and great point too. "The back way home".

We used to take US-40 between Topeka and Kansas City. Near Lawrence, we would pass the "teepee", get out, take pics, OR touch it, get back in the car. BTW, its made of concrete and was part of an "Indian Village" set up (somebody built these joints, motel/resort thing, in the '30-'40s in several places around USA).

Fifty-Foot-Tall Concrete Teepee, Lawrence, Kansas

US-40 around Lawrence predates I-70 by 30years (maybe much more .. it was part of the Oregon Trail I think), parallels it for a bit, so now you're back to the 1930's or so when this teepee was built.

We have pictures of my MOM as a 10 year old in 1949 by this thing, and another one with ME as a baby in her arms, on their way to show off their first born to relatives. :).

Teepee is still there today. Simpler time, and just this current day photo makes me smile. I don't spend enough time "taking the back way home" .. must be why I am getting grayer faster.

00-1-2-8.jpg

Last edited:
2x and dont forget all the toll roads. :mad:
What really gets me is that for what they charge to use the toll roads, they are in such bad shape. Also why is the state so broke with all the money they rob from the people who live there. That is the main reason I moved over the border two years ago. SO MANY MORE WILL FOLLOW. All the Illinois people spending their money in Indiana is keeping our taxes low. At least you live in DuPage Co. and not CROOK Co.

What really gets me is that for what they charge to use the toll roads, they are in such bad shape. Also why is the state so broke with all the money they rob from the people who live there. That is the main reason I moved over the border two years ago. SO MANY MORE WILL FOLLOW. All the Illinois people spending their money in Indiana is keeping our taxes low. At least you live in DuPage Co. and not CROOK Co.

crook county.JPG

This screams "HOME" to me. Heart rate goes down and a Corona adds a little "buzz", which harmonizes well with the sound of the surf.
DSC02581.JPG

QEW East, a few kilometers past Hamilton. The break in the Niagara escarpment right around St. Catherines.

When austerity measures grounded the company jet, I frequently made the drive between Detroit and Buffalo.

Before I got used to the drive, the "break" (subject to bridge traffic) meant I was 45 minutes from home.

Stock photo
View attachment 139695
That break in the escarpment depicted is in Grimsby Ontario where I live. Next time through be sure to stop in!
40mile_500x200.jpg

Back