Thoughts on 67 Dodge Polara

Yes - the tilt tele steering wheel is unique to that system. The non tilt/tele wheel won't work, because the tilt tele wheel requires that big bezel dial that surrounds the emblem - it functions as the lock/unlock mechanism for the telescoping function. Note the Lock Unlock at the top centre.

@FrancoFonseca

So the in-dash auto-pilot does exist in '67. I have never seen it other than in the service manual. And in the manual it was shown with a factory AC. So I wonder if there was ever a dash bezel for non-ac but with auto-pilot.
Option sheets say that on Auto-Pilot, the required options are automatic transmission, power brakes, and radio. Pictures of auto pilot on my white 67 convertible, the build tag, the decoder (it didn't show up on it & they aren't perfect), and option sheets. Auto-Pilot is in the 1st section of Accessories; under Groups (473).

IMG_0055.JPG
IMG_0057.jpg
IMG_0052.JPG
ConvFenderTagA.jpg
ConvFenderTagB.jpg
1967PolaraOptionSheetA.jpg
1967PolaraOptionSheetB.jpg
1967PolaraOptionSheetC.jpg

Last edited:
@FrancoFonseca

So the in-dash auto-pilot does exist in '67. I have never seen it other than in the service manual. And in the manual it was shown with a factory AC. So I wonder if there was ever a dash bezel for non-ac but with auto-pilot.

But here's a question: Why the different center steering wheel medallion? (different than what I'm used to seeing).

I have a tilt/tele steering column I'm planning to install, do I have to worry that my current non-tilt steering wheel and medalion won't work?
I am not knowledgeable about what will work. We bought the car as-is and it's in perfect condition. Well, other than the power steering pump going.

I am not knowledgeable about what will work. We bought the car as-is and it's in perfect condition. Well, other than the power steering pump going.
I believe (but could be wrong), that the regular non AC and AC cars use the same bezel, and the opening in the bezel for the controls for AC or non AC is the same size. Same with Autopilot - AC or Non AC use the same bezel and the only difference is that there is an opening for the Autopilot controls.

Last edited:

Hello Franco. You have an incredibly well optioned, rare car. It is a fantastic example of the '67 Monaco/Polara. Please take good care of it, pass it down and keep it in the family.
Absolutely stunning.

I believe (but could be wrong), that the regular non AC and AC cars use the same bezel, and the opening in the bezel for the controls for AC or non AC is the same size. Same with Autopilot - AC or Non AC use the same bezel and the only difference is that there is an opening for the Autopilot controls.

While it might be possible to take a non-AC bezel and cut the center parts out for the vents, the temp control section is completely different compared to A/C and I don't see how it could be modified for A/C.

dash-radio-bezel.jpg

What I'm showing is a panel with radio and one with no radio. When my dad bought the '67 Monaco out of the show room he told them to delete the radio (AM radio, $150). So they put the no-radio panel in. When I restored the car I had the dash plastic re-chromed (at a place in Westland Michigan) so it looks new. I never got around to painting the silver part. I later got an AM radio and a NOS bezel. The temp control section (the 2 slots for slider controls) is not removable (like the radio fader and R.Air switch is removable).

I'm guessing there is a specific panel for AC and Radio (ie AC must come with radio). Whether that panel has a removable section for auto pilot, or there is yet another panel with auto pilot (and AC and radio ???) I don't know.

If autopilot was available without A/C, then there would have to be yet another panel option.

Thanks for setting me straight with those pics. I think you're right, in that certain combinations couldn't be ordered without certain other options... otherwise it means there are "potentially" at least 8 dash panels:

1 Regular heat/defrost, radio, no Autopilot.
2 Regular heat/defrost, radio, with Autopilot
3 Regular heat/defrost, Autopilot, and radio delete
4 Autopilot, radio, and heater delete
5 Autopilot, and both radio and heater delete
6 AC, radio
7 AC, radio, Autopilot
8 AC, Autopilot, and radio delete

What about AutoTemp?

Sheesh!

Very nice pictures @FrancoFonseca. For both you and @My three 67 Polaras - does your Autopilot work? One of my specialties is repairing and refurbishing the Autopilot systems. A few happy customers here on FCBO, who will chime in I am sure about it.

View attachment 580615View attachment 580616View attachment 580617View attachment 580618
I don't have the cable. Do you know where I can get one? If I could find one I may need to have the system looked at.

All of my cables are from Imperials for sure. The 14-02-34 cable is the same for all models but the control cable and the spedo cable might be different according to the parts book. Is it just the lengths or what I don’t know. I’m thinking the spedo cable should work because the non Auto Pilot cables appear to be the same for C bodies and Imps.
38FEAEA4-4C57-4B94-9142-908404AF74A8.jpeg
BDA1921D-AA88-48AE-8B1A-D603F9AF18D9.jpeg
E4A454E7-CBC9-4BC9-88C9-F96C7876EEAC.jpeg

All of my cables are from Imperials for sure. The 14-02-34 cable is the same for all models but the control cable and the spedo cable might be different according to the parts book. Is it just the lengths or what I don’t know. I’m thinking the spedo cable should work because the non Auto Pilot cables appear to be the same for C bodies and Imps.
View attachment 580698View attachment 580699View attachment 580700
I'm going to check with my mechanic and get his opinion. I'll get right back to you.

OKAY...I stand corrected. What I need is the ROD that goes down to the floor.

Last edited:
Ah - not the cables... the control rod which connects to the gas pedal pivot that pokes through the floor.

That will be harder but not impossible to find.

The reason it was removed is likely because your dash dial is broken (as usual, and I can rebuild it) and was set to a speed that is low enough that the gas pedal gets the pressure feedback (as designed) when the car is going to exceed the preset speed. Annoying, so often the rods were disconnected and removed, and then lost over time.

Check to see if your dash dial will adjust - if the dial seems to smoothly engage and the numbers go up or down, then it's likely OK. If not, the plastic gears within are toast.
If the dial seems to work, then it's possible the servo needs some love.

I will check the rod's part numbers and see what cars they're used on - you might still be in luck if they cross over to Imperial, as more Imps were equipped with Autopilot than C bodies at that time.

Update - you're in luck - the rod is the same. It has an important little guide bracket that goes with it to permit adjustment for length, but the same rod and pivot are used in C body and Imperial.
ROD - AUTOPILOT LEVER TO AUTOPILOT - 2843 790

I might have one if @detmatt doesn't.

Last edited:
Ah - not the cables... the control rod which connects to the gas pedal pivot that pokes through the floor.

That will be harder but not impossible to find.

The reason it was removed is likely because your dash dial is broken (as usual, and I can rebuild it) and was set to a speed that is low enough that the gas pedal gets the pressure feedback (as designed) when the car is going to exceed the preset speed. Annoying, so often the rods were disconnected and removed, and then lost over time.

Check to see if your dash dial will adjust - if the dial seems to smoothly engage and the numbers go up or down, then it's likely OK. If not, the plastic gears within are toast.
If the dial seems to work, then it's possible the servo needs some love.

I will check the rod's part numbers and see what cars they're used on - you might still be in luck if they cross over to Imperial, as more Imps were equipped with Autopilot than C bodies at that time.

Update - you're in luck - the rod is the same. It has an important little guide bracket that goes with it to permit adjustment for length, but the same rod and pivot are used in C body and Imperial.
ROD - AUTOPILOT LEVER TO AUTOPILOT - 2843 790

I might have one if @detmatt doesn't.
I should have the rod and other linkage.

Back