Three hood bumpers

polarus

Reaction score
Amazing how much I'm still learning, my 72 Polara is my first C body. I recently posted a video of a Gold 72 Polara WSP car, around 10:40 in the video I noticed a third hood bumper on top of the cowl, not sure when Mopar started doing this, maybe it has to do with the hidden wipers? My car has the hole in the cowl so it looks like I'll be ordering another set of hood alignment bumpers, learning all the time.

The 69 had them,
2014-02-23_002.jpg

Alan

Hi Alan, sorry I wasn't clear but the one I'm talking about on the center of the cowl is the same as the round adjustable type located at the front corners, just something I picked up on.

Hi Alan, the one I'm talking about on the center of the cowl is the same as the round adjustable type located at the front corners, just something I picked up on.
Interesting, nothing like that on the 69.

Alan

'70's and 71's don't have the center bumper either. I can check if there is a hole present. If your '72 has the hole but no bumper in place perhaps it's a very small indication of it being a police car specific item? I also notice that there is a larger space in the middle of the louvers that the bumper would rest against. '70 and '71 the louvers don't have that spot, so the bumper would rest on, and eventually bend up the louvers.

My 72 has a threaded hole in the center of the cowl for the bumper, the plastic cover has a hole as well, there was no bumper when I purchased the car but a lot of original parts were missing.

Here's a photo showing the provision for the bumper.
IMG_0674.JPG

Might've been to reduce hood flex/fluttering at highway speed, which could be visible to the driver.
But would be odd to have that on just 1 model of car (I say that due to not being used apparently on any prior cars?)

Back