To restore, resto-mod, customize, or... sell?

I'd put the $3-$5k into it and drive it. Seems reasonable based on the pictures especially if you can do some of the work. You can buy a lot of fun for $50k.

If you just want a convertible I would gladly trade you one of my 65 pace or 66 Furys for that DeSoto. Seriously your car is too nice to do anything to it but preserve and enjoy as a stock vehicle. If you want to trade or sell PM me. Please Consider keeping it stock. Besides.. remember what Groucho says....

I am with the majority...fix it up, drive it and sell it to get what you really want.
Desotos are rare and getting scarce in the conditIon yours is in based on your photos.
It will look better in my driveway LOL!! :D

Chop the **** out of it and add a LS.
facepalm double.gif

I have never understood why People are so Keen to Pay Out All that Money just to Allow a Bird the Privilege of Pooping on your Head. LOL Tony.M

Fix it up to drive and/or sell. Last real year of DeSoto IIANM (only a handful of 61s were assembled before Chrysler pulled the plug on Nov 30 of 1960), and your car is too rare to not preserve as is or restore completely. As for restoring, if it's a survivor I wouldn't touch it to restore it yet from what I can see. It looks too good.

Please, please, please... DO NOT cut it up to make a custom or convertible.

Fix it up to drive and/or sell. Last real year of DeSoto IIANM (only a handful of 61s were assembled before Chrysler pulled the plug on Nov 30 of 1960), and your car is too rare to not preserve as is or restore completely. As for restoring, if it's a survivor I wouldn't touch it to restore it yet from what I can see. It looks too good.

Please, please, please... DO NOT cut it up to make a custom or convertible.
Ross, When we lead 'um to water theirs that percentage that are just gonna pee in it every time before they drink. Logic and good sense just ain't on their plate. Same with butchering a classic. Stay well Pal, Jer

That is a nice car. Leave as is. Fix it to drive and enjoy, or sell as is. A friend of mine bought a 1959 Desoto. A little different car than yours, a two door. Paid $38,000. It is a nice car he got. A hardtop. Red. Leave it a hardtop. You won't be sorry.

Hello Sir, I had one of these many years ago. And still miss her even she was not all original. Well, what kind of price did you have in mind if one takes his trailer and drives to you from Odessa, Texas with green cash in hand? Cheers to all. ilkka

If the car were junk, I;]'d say do what you want. But, that car seems to be in too nice of shape to do any customizing on it.

While I love custom cars, I despise learning that the car was a pristine model before someone hacked into it. There is enough junk in yards and people's homes to do that to.

I know nothing of the condition of the car and tend to button up if a feller seems set in mind and the car seems ripe for it.... However, a Desoto... any Desoto that’s not worm food already, seems a shame.

I’d put the work/money in to get it streetable and sh** can it running if it weren’t my thing. There’ll be many, many interested buyers and you’ll be able to move on to something that’s a little more your bag.

That said, if it’s REALLY your bag to chop that thing into a vert, Who am I .. to judge YOU!?!

Either way, that’s a stunning ride. I wish I had the coin to talk you comfortably off the cliff on that one.

Back