Took a drive today

tbm3fan

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Actually not a drive that we ordinarily think of as in just out for a cruise. This was more of how these cars were used back in their days. Plus I am really enjoying the HEI and wanted to test out the response on the freeway.

So the day started off by having to drive down to the UPS center which is around 21 miles from home but 3.5 miles from my office. I had to go there because UPS wants to deliver early morning before we, or anybody else around me, are open. That means a tag on the door and we'll try on July 5th when no one is in of course. Then they would try Friday am and afterwards the box goes back. The driver knows when we open :mad:

Light traffic today and I arrive at 10:45 am only to find out they don't open until 11:30 am. Why wasn't that up on the website :mad:

Ok, I'll have to come back so onto next stop my father's house as he needs a haircut. Found an old style barber with just a single chair who apparently has a large following of elderly clients based on my wife's comments. When my father walks out, a bit unsteady today, he sees the Polara and asks what is this. I thought he had seen it but I guess not. Help him in and then help him deal with the seat belt that has to be drawn out all the way in one smooth move. I start the car and he goes it's on already. Yes. That was fast. Yes it was.

Drive along some local streets and find that I need to drop him off as there are no safe spots to park the car. Narrower for today's cars and no one is going to park next to me and ding the paint. So I drive across the street to an empty lot as the business is closed. Nice big corner spot out of the sun and then sprint back across the street.

Found the barber with a client in the chair. Estimate the fellow was around 95 and by himself. Hearing aid out for the cut so he was pretty much stone deaf. My Dad takes a seat with grandson along side of him. Another fellow comes by with his wife who is far more engaged then he is. Ninety years old and former Mayor of Walnut Creek and only 90. The barber is 61, four years Navy, attended my college SDSU between 1979-81, and is a real talker. Soon the conversation goes back to the 30's and 40's while the guy in the chair is oblivious.

Now when that fellow was done I watched him just pop up out of the chair, put his hearing aid back in, pay the man, and stroll out the sliding door. He could have sprinted across the parking lot with me. Amazing! Now my Dad hasn't had a cut for sometime, due to hospital time, and he has a full head of hair and a lot's of it. Could have started a ponytail but then he looked good when done and I brought him home. The black lab got out and went bananas once again upon seeing me. Apparently this dog hears me name and then waits at the front door for me to arrive. We have no idea why.

So the hair cut and conversation took 2 hours. I guess I'll have to wait till I am 90 in order to appreciate the time spent there. Nonetheless, it was fun listening to my father answer the barbers questions and talk about times long, long past. Even my nine year old got into the back and forth. Of course, I then headed back down to UPS for my package and then back home. Pretty much a 70 mile day of driving on errands only and I gotta get those front tires balanced as there was some roughness between 62-66 mph.

Beautiful day. Three generations in an old school barber shop, doesn't get much better than that!

Back