Totally stumped

Electrical problems just don't go away on their own....something caused that circuit to burn up.

OK, the 14 ga Fusible Link seems like the right size. Did you get the .4 or .5 ohm measurement by connecting the ohmmeter between the 10 ga wire and ground? If so, I think there's a short (probably intermittent) somewhere because the alternator's diodes should prevent you from getting a reading (continuity) through the alternator to ground and the battery ground was disconnected.
Affirmative, end of wire at the connector (thru ohmmeter) to a ground surface. The ohmmeter barely fluctuated between .4 & .5 ohms. I put a test light on it and it never once blinked (came on).

Electrical problems just don't go away on their own....something caused that circuit to burn up.
Yeah, I totally agree. I've got to track this down before I can have any rest...meanwhile I keep additional fuse links in the tool case.

Last night I noticed the ballast resistor has two (or maybe three) hair line cracks in the backing.....can barely see them unless under a lamp, but they are there.

Yeah, I totally agree. I've got to track this down before I can have any rest...meanwhile I keep additional fuse links in the tool case.

Gary, I would leave the negative side of the battery disconnected until you get this figured out. It would be a shame to find your car/garage burned to the ground.

Gary, I would leave the negative side of the battery disconnected until you get this figured out. It would be a shame to find your car/garage burned to the ground.
Tell me about it Bob. I ALWAYS disconnect the battery overnight (when garaged). I've been up just about all night trying to track this down. Can't find a damn thing, other than the cracked ballast resistor. Since I'm running the electronic ignition upgrade I really don't need a resistor. I'm taking her out (around the corner), try to recreate the exact event sequence, slight hesitation before cut off.

so got back, rode around for a couple miles..everything back to normal....still gotta find what cause the issue in the first place :BangHead: . The fusible link did what it was supposed to do.

Yes, keep a spare already made up in the glove compartment....but this is probably something simply and I got to fix it.

You need it to happen one more time to make a proper diagnosis on whether to drop it or persue it. Otherwise you're spinning your wheels.

Would you drop if it were your car? I believe monkys would fly out of between Madonnas butt before that would happen. Same here.

Back