Trim clips??

GBsPanhead

Reaction score
This is from my '69 300 vert. It's a clip that slides into the trim piece then attaches to body. Used to secure the piece that the convertible boot attaches to. Any ideas where I can find this type? Needs to be like this. The screws come in from the underside into this clip. Has to be like this otherwise the convertible top rubs against the backside of the mounting screw head. Thanks!

20190522_182417.jpg

20190522_182438.jpg

I've tried for mine and haven't found them anywhere.

I've tried for mine and haven't found them anywhere.
I was just going to PM you about these! Figured you would have a source!

Any ideas how to remedy? I bought these last night, thinking they would work, but then was thinking about the top rubbing the nuts. I think I'm going to modify these. I will cut off the threaded post, then drill and tap the base plate, then should be able to get a screw up from the underside into these modified clips.
clips3.JPG

The Chrysler part number for the clip is 6002734

The part number for '70 Cuda convertible clip is 6002976.

So... That's not a great sign that they will work.

Comparing the clips, it looks like the "ears" are bent so they sit higher. But you'd have to see them sitting side by side. If they were a few bucks, I'd say order a few and see if they could be used or bent to work. At $120... I don't know. This may be something I need to look at when I'm at Carlisle. What vendor is this?
NCM_0189_zpslzdws6ju.JPG
NCM_0190_zpszoiul6v6.JPG
NCM_0192_zpss5jtu0u0.JPG
NCM_0193_zpscoyxxwou.JPG

NCM_0191_zps1wxwlzhq.JPG

Is that made out of plastic? How many do you need? Do you have at least 2 good ones or just the one and is it undamaged?

I have been making several clips so far just for 65 and 66 c-bodies. Looking to expand the catalog, but I need complete and intact clips to make the mold to replicate.

Is that made out of plastic? How many do you need? Do you have at least 2 good ones or just the one and is it undamaged?

I have been making several clips so far just for 65 and 66 c-bodies. Looking to expand the catalog, but I need complete and intact clips to make the mold to replicate.
Made from steel.

Made of metal. Only have one complete/undamaged clip. You need it to try and mock up some? I'm currently looking for temporary solutions.

Made of metal. Only have one complete/undamaged clip. You need it to try and mock up some? I'm currently looking for temporary solutions.

If the new ones for the e-body were made out of resin I would definitely made them. Not certain the resin will work. I'll send you a PM

If the new ones for the e-body were made out of resin I would definitely made them. Not certain the resin will work. I'll send you a PM
I have a couple that are broken if that helps. There are 10 per car.

A couple pics of how the molding is on the clip if that helps.

NCM_0194_zpsctffymhh.JPG
NCM_0195_zpsxs78edk1.JPG

Got it done. Parts I used worked perfect. I used t-nuts, and SS allen heads. 4mm allen wrench. T-nuts just slid in the channel at the correct angle. Had to modify a old 4mm allen to help get a few of the screws started. I know its not OEM, but till I find a OEM part at a reasonable price, this will work. And it works great by the way lol.

Of course I cleaned up all the old yucky stuff seen in pic two once completed.

20190527_150128.jpg

20190527_151829.jpg

20190527_155549.jpg

Last edited:
I ordered one of the E-body clips (6002976) and compared it to the C-body clip (6002734) to see if it could work or be made to work.
I feel as-is they will work but I might open them up a little.

If you look at the two there are two differences, 1. The threaded portion isn't as deep, keep in mind that is the entry point for the screw, might take a little effort to get the screw to grab a thread to start. 2. More notably is the flange, the C-body one is taller with a bend in it.
IMG_5554.JPG

When you insert the C-body shapes to the trim and fits snugly.
IMG_5546.JPG

With the E-body clip it fits a little looser but does grab both edges with no worry of it popping free.
IMG_5550.JPG

Once fully inserted the E-Body clip holds itself in place, you may need to bend the wings to add a little pressure.
You can see that the treads are about 3/32" into the trim (it is reduced some as the E-body clip is shorter), not sure how much of an issue that might be.
IMG_5552.JPG

So for those needing these clips I feel that the E-Body clip is a suitable replacement in lieu of original C-body ones.

My 69 Polara has 24 of them.

Alan

Last edited:
Back