TRIPLE TX9 '71 TWILIGHT

I agree completely Steve! As beautiful as my 78 NYB is, the ride from my 73 Imperial is much better. I just didn't know all the technical aspects behind it, thanks for explaining. My 67 LeBaron is close behind. Don't get me wrong I love my 78 but there really is a difference. Just couldn't put it words as eloquently as you did. Thanks
Now we know why they were always advertised as America's most carefully built car!
That was the intention but Chrysler wasn't big on quality control around the early 1970's and some cars were poorly assembled.

image.jpg
the IMPERIAL of luxury
major coin in '71
our SF house on twin peaks $17k

That was the intention but Chrysler wasn't big on quality control around the early 1970's and some cars were poorly assembled.

None of the "Big Three" were, but I'd like to think that our Chrysler products were assembled at par or better than the rest. Did you ever work on a Chevy Caprice or Vega or Nova, from the same era? Complete garbage. Ford's were no better, you'd be lucky if you got three years out of them before they rotted to the ground. Not to mention oil leaks, crappy interior fit and driveability issues. Datsun and Toyota were even worse. They rotted on the boat over here. And parts were unbelievably expensive.
Sure our Mopars had problems but we still love them, if not, we wouldn't be here. I've owned a lot of them new and used, and I can't complain.

The fuselage Imperials had a subframe within the stubframe that nestled the engine in a rubber mounted cradle, and the stubframe on these models were already isolated with rubber from the bodies. So there were two means of isolating the passenger compartment from noise and vibration. And the Imperials were realtively heavier than the New Yorkers, for example, as a result of the extra subframe as well as more lavish sound deadening in the passenger compartment and heavier seats and generally more options to improve comfort. Also the suspension was revised for this extra weight and the overall feel when driving one is foremost one of almost complete isolation from the road, very quiet and a feeling that the car is crushing any bumps in the road to achieve a totally smooth, unbothered riding experience. The refinement is clearly noticeable and fits what a luxury car is designed to deliver. And unlike its competition, the handling was still reasonable too.

It reads as if you wrote the brochure

The fuselage Imperials had a subframe within the stubframe that nestled the engine in a rubber mounted cradle, and the stubframe.......
Beautifully written and it beautifully describes Imperials. I own a 2009 Chrysler 300 and my 72 Imperial is hands above a nicer, smoother, quieter ride - and EVERY time I drive the 72, it's like a new experience every time. The only thing comparable to my 72 I've ridden in is a Bentley; and it was only comparable - not "above" it. (I'm probably biased...) I bought my first Imperial (a 72) in 1992; I was 27 years old. I bought my current 72 Imperial in 1993 with 45,000 miles on it. I've driven it over 90,000 miles since then and still today, it never fails to deliver a premium ride and an awesome experience. I've joked for many years that it's my casket; cremate me, tuck me in the glove box and bury me!!! I LOVE MY IMPERIAL!
1972 imperial mine copy.JPG

I have a lead on a 1973 Imperial Factory Sunroof for my 1971 (the only option i would have ordered) I understand the 1972-3 C Pillar / Quarter Window is a different form (Wile E Coyote) but the overall roof arc of the top near windshield looks the same to me; is that the case? all Fuselage 2 Door Hardtops roof stamp identical 1969-73 for Sunroof? Appreciate any insights

image.jpg

Last edited:
The fuselage Imperials had a subframe within the stubframe that nestled the engine in a rubber mounted cradle, and the stubframe on these models were already isolated with rubber from the bodies. So there were two means of isolating the passenger compartment from noise and vibration. And the Imperials were realtively heavier than the New Yorkers, for example, as a result of the extra subframe as well as more lavish sound deadening in the passenger compartment and heavier seats and generally more options to improve comfort. Also the suspension was revised for this extra weight and the overall feel when driving one is foremost one of almost complete isolation from the road, very quiet and a feeling that the car is crushing any bumps in the road to achieve a totally smooth, unbothered riding experience. The refinement is clearly noticeable and fits what a luxury car is designed to deliver. And unlike its competition, the handling was still reasonable too.
awesome info thanks I didn't know that as well

Back