For Sale true story? S-27 concept Fury owned by Fury designer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are kidding right? Maybe in Alabama that is what they will pay, but in Europe at least, it will bring the asking price or close to it apart from any other history behind it.QUOTE]

Nope, not kidding. The car looks to be a strong #3 condition. I think my estimate is generous, and this ain't Europe.
1970 PLYMOUTH FURY Value

With respect, this is a strong,,number two car in its current dress. It has pulled numerous trophies and awards. The asking price is fair in Alabama or Albainia. I have seen few finer C body's to date..

With respect, this is a strong,,number two car in its current dress. It has pulled numerous trophies and awards. The asking price is fair in Alabama or Albainia. I have seen few finer C body's to date..

If the pic's are current then I see several modifications and after market items, a undetailed undercarriage, tinted glass, etc. All of which distract from condition rating.

Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful car with a potentially cool pedigree. But sentimental value is not monetary value. More things about this car point to a owner mod/custom then to a design feasibility study. A strong 3 condition is accurate, IMHO.

There are very few #1 cars, rarely seen by the public and never driven, A #2 is a fully detailed vehicle what most of us see at high end car shows and are rarely driven.

If the pic's are current then I see several modifications and after market items, a undetailed undercarriage, tinted glass, etc. All of which distract from condition rating.

Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful car with a potentially cool pedigree. But sentimental value is not monetary value. More things about this car point to a owner mod/custom then to a design feasibility study. A strong 3 condition is accurate, IMHO.

There are very few #1 cars, rarely seen by the public and never driven, A #2 is a fully detailed vehicle what most of us see at high end car shows and are rarely driven.
this example was rarely driven, the undercarriage is in outstanding original unrestored condition. it would take very very little to bring this car to number one. Sentimentality aside, we perform in depth appraisals, many for Hagerty Classic, This is one of the finest C bodys available.

I guess the old man with a hat seems to believe values of these cars are only valid in the U.S., despite most of the better example C bodies are going overseas (ask me how I know). This is ludicrous, and nice convertible C bodies like this one will easily fetch close to $20K over there. If it was a 300, it would be even more. He needs to get out of Alabama a little more often and see the real world IMHO.

1970 Plymouth Fury Convertible LOWERED PRICE

For Sale

1970 Plymouth Fury Convertible, under 80,000 miles.. 383, 4 barrel carb. Immaculate. Owned by the "C" Body studio chief, Richard Clayton. He built this as a S-27, which did not exist in 1970. All original sheet metal. Drives beautifully. Has frame connectors. Flex free chassis. No better "C" body around. Asking $18,000 OBO

this example was rarely driven, the undercarriage is in outstanding original unrestored condition. it would take very very little to bring this car to number one. Sentimentality aside, we perform in depth appraisals, many for Hagerty Classic, This is one of the finest C bodys available.
I've agreed with all you've said on this car except for that statement.

It generally is a *huge* undertaking to take a #3 car to #1 status, and it is wasteful, too. A majority of such a car must be re-worked to get to #1, with all finishes, markings, detail items, etc, needing to be NOS or excellent reproductions.

Your 80k suspension, while surely still very serviceable, must all be restored, cosmetically at least. If that 'vert top is the wrong color shade, or wrong grain, you'd have to replace it. And all the S-27 stuff would need to go, as you ultimately can't have a #1 car wearing non-factory modifications. So back to 383-2 with factory-correct single exhaust (and that would surely be a chore to find at #1 quality). You need $1000 worth of reproduction tires, too.

Just to put a quick number on it, you'd put $15k easily to bring that to #1. That's not the scope for this car.

I've agreed with all you've said on this car except for that statement.

It generally is a *huge* undertaking to take a #3 car to #1 status, and it is wasteful, too. A majority of such a car must be re-worked to get to #1, with all finishes, markings, detail items, etc, needing to be NOS or excellent reproductions.

Your 80k suspension, while surely still very serviceable, must all be restored, cosmetically at least. If that 'vert top is the wrong color shade, or wrong grain, you'd have to replace it. And all the S-27 stuff would need to go, as you ultimately can't have a #1 car wearing non-factory modifications. So back to 383-2 with factory-correct single exhaust (and that would surely be a chore to find at #1 quality). You need $1000 worth of reproduction tires, too.

Just to put a quick number on it, you'd put $15k easily to bring that to #1. That's not the scope for this car.
Thats true. Perhaps i have been somewhat blinded by sentimentality, and all the above is unarguable. That said it is in exceptional condition. All the suspension, brakes and driveline have been rebuilt with many NOS components. Also, being in the restoration business we rarely see such pristine sheet metal.

I guess the old man with a hat seems to believe values of these cars are only valid in the U.S., despite most of the better example C bodies are going overseas (ask me how I know). This is ludicrous, and nice convertible C bodies like this one will easily fetch close to $20K over there. If it was a 300, it would be even more. He needs to get out of Alabama a little more often and see the real world IMHO.

Some ones head is in the clouds. Must be a left coast thing. :poke:.
I've been around the block, likely several more times then you. My views are based on reality.

Hey Bennoat42, you bringing this car to the Packard Proving Grounds show on the 24th or perhaps the museum on June 11th? I'd love to see it.

Since we are in deep discussions......and we have people deep into the C-Body styling dept and many Chrysler engineers and such involved in this thread.

Does anyone here or do you know someone that can tell us about the last C-Body to come off the production line? Was it an NYB or a Newport, and all and any other pertinent info, pictures, fender tag(s), build sheet, etc. I have tried twice asking Chrysler for that info and I received the same no real answer reply. They can't even tell us what the date of the last one made. Thanks.

A/C blowing cold, yet? For $18,000.00 the freaking car needs to be flawless.
Thst means it needs nothing. Zero. Nada. Zilch.
Everything works down to the last bulb.
No compromises. No "...as well as can be expected for a car of this age"
I hope you get a lot of money for the car. It's drop dead gorgeous.

Last edited:
Everything works including the AM radio.

So you're willing to throw the guy who offered you top dollar under the bus? In public? I don't want to know you.

So you're willing to throw the guy who offered you top dollar under the bus? In public? I don't want to know you.
It appears many in this forum are curious what this car is potentially worth, as am I. This may help to inform them as to the value of there own C body or influence what they might have to pay I'm the future. I f you don't want to know me, that's fine. I have been out of middle school for decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back