Trunk Spatter Paint

71FuryGC

Reaction score
Did the 1971 Fury have black/gray spatter paint in the trunk from the factory? I've seen B and E bodies with body color trunk interiors. I'm thinking C Bodies were different in that department?

We've had a few threads about it. There seems to be some cars that got spatter painted and some that didn't.

Trunk floor paint

On the second page of this thread we talk about it.

For Sale - 1970 300 (eBay)

painting the trunk, any advice?

1970 300 convertible trunk questions
Thanks John, I'm pretty sure my 71 Gran Coupe has the spatter paint in the trunk from the factory. Assembled at the Newark plant. I started wire brushing some light surface rust and plan to use a rust converter/primer followed by more spatter paint, probably Duplicolor. I'll match it as close as practical.

FWIW, my 66 Monacos (Canadian Windsor builds) all had a 3 colour (note Canadian/British spelling of colour) trunk splatter paint. Medium grey with white and dark grey speckling. Almost impossible to find. However, I did find it - I think it was some sort of industrial paint. I bought a dozen cans just to have - I hope it has a long shelf life! I'll edit this post once I get the correct product and name.

My turquoise Monaco had the splatter paint everywhere including the complete trunk floor and up over the lip to the lock striker loop. That **** was everywhere, even on the hinges. I replicated it when I restored the car. Note that Canadian cars had the spare to the right side like a convertible rather than up in the middle near the axle hump...

Car_Trunk1.JPG

The red 4 speed car (early build) had it in the more typical areas - inside the quarter panels, over the wheel houses and axle hump, trunk/dutchman panel supports and the outer areas of the trunk floor, but nothing in the middle or anywhere near the rear lip and tail light housing areas. Sort of applied in a big U-shaped sweep... I don't have a picture of the trunk area prior to replacing the floor, extensions and quarters during its ongoing restoration unfortunately.

Back