Trying to dismantle 77 door handles for rechrome

Fast Eddie B

Reaction score
the handles are tired and hard to find replacements. I was thinking of taking it apart and getting it chromed.

Asi look at it, I'm thinking I will need to punch out those retaining 'plugs' and I'm afraid I won't get them reassembled right.

Has anyone done this before?

IMG_2504.JPG

Inside of the plug
IMG_2502.JPG

Outside of the plug

IMG_2503.JPG

Have you spoken to the chromer? You might be able to leave it all in tacked since they're only rechroming the face of the handle. Just my 2 cents. Lol

Just take off the plastic clip that goes on the rod...missing something like that makes reassembly frustrating. When I had mine rechromed, the whole thing came back in chrome, no problems.

Do remember if you removed the plastic gasket that goes against the outside metal door skin? Or just leave that to them....

It worked. I took them in, he said no problem. Doesn't even bother the plastic gaskets riveted on.

Picked up a whole pile of other parts while I was there. It's like Christmas!

IMG_2508.JPG

Lucky me...

I bought a complete set of chrome/trim..... every piece from a 78 NYB out of New Mexico 5 years ago. Everything including the bumpers were like brand new. I had to strip the red decals off the mirrors and door handles.

Back