Turn signal switch

i_taz

Reaction score
My horn died a slow death with one spoke going bad and now none work. I'm guessing I should have voltage here at the steering wheel for the horn...???
Fuse and relay seem good...

.trashed-1696348345-IMG_20230903_115217471 (2).jpg

No voltage there.

It works by returning ground to the relay. Press the horn, it makes a connection to ground. The relay already has power going to it.

I have power to the relay block and put 12v to the relay tabs and hear the click. What does
the roller on the turn signal switch do...???

The roller contacts the copper on the steering wheel hub. Provides the ground.

AND just because the relay "clicks", that doesn't mean it's working correctly. The internal contacts could be shot.

Oh ya, Duh.... I tested the relay putting a battery charger on the spades until I got a click.
'B' & 'H' seemed to do it. Then I took the cover off and it looks brand new inside. I have the factory
electrical manual and like most things it doesn't go into much detail. All it tells you to do is replace the relay with a 'known good one'. Duh, again. I guess the fact it died a slow death has me wondering if
something was going open but the switches are all tied together so it could've just been a bad button.

Last edited:
just because the relay clicks doesn't mean the horns themselves work. if all the circuits are intact, the coil windings of the relay should conduct voltage up to the steering wheel contact. switches in the steering complete the circuit to ground to power the windings and activate the relay.

I tried a different relay, supposedly NOS from ebay and no dice. I thought I heard some sort of a squelch sound coming from it a time or two but not sure. It's a one done type thing. I was hoping it
would be something easy...

The best I can get is one chirp and then if I wait a minute or 2, another. Horns work, the steering wheel
switches are gnarly but I did get the one that didn't work to work. The new duralast relay doesn't work at all so next would be to try another OEM or some switches if any come up but one beep is good enough for now...

Back