Turn signals not working - 65 newport

AnaheimEA

Reaction score
My turn signals stopped working. I thought it was the bad wiring in the harness so I rewired from the switch to the harness. Still not working, is there a signal relay or signal flasher in my car? If so location please, I don't see one. 1965 chrysler newport

Yes, there is a signal flasher and a separate emergency flasher (if so equipped). My 65 Fury has the signal flasher located somewhere near the ashtray IIRC.

Go to any parts jobber and get an HD12 flasher.
Typically hiding behind the ignition switch or ashtray on 65-66 Chryslers.
Does your car have tilt column? Reason asking is you move the tilt it can affect the operation of the signals since there is a rod from the lever to the switch and if out of whack signals will not work,IIRC.
Hope this helps.

No tilt column in my car. I went to the car parts store and they gave me what they said was the correct signal flash. I have been looking all under the dash, took apart the covers and ash tray, took out the AC flexible tubes but cannot see anything that looks like a signal flasher canister. What am I missing. Sorry not a mechanic learning as I go.

Maybe it is MIA??
q=tbn%3AANd9GcRC4aD-cw9PYlaZxzqJmuqLRB0GRu3abaWzKXjrgISd0lTFGSNRcdGQLY73sc53dXZgaa_614A&usqp=CAc.jpg

Then look for a plug like this under the dash
rnb-84734_ml.jpg

Okay thx I will check for something that looks like that. Its weird that if it does have it would be missing because the lights did work when I got the car a few months ago. A month ago they just stopped after I moved something under the dash and saw the bad wiring.

Disturbing wires...big mistake,LOL!! :poke:
Two places you just dont get into...your mother's purse and under your dash. :lol:

There's a clip that houses the flasher just under the dash by the ashtray at the lower lip. Do you have the Factory Service Manual? If not, you should pick one up. It's worth its weight in gold.

Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 1.31.59 PM.png

Yes this is the manual I purchased for the car. I know every time I start on something small it gets into other stuff. Lol oh well soon enough the car will be good to go.

15917435347101013118860360149002.jpg

There is a metal channel that runs practically the length of the dash, lowest edge. Sometimes you can look under the dash and not see the flasher because it is up on that 'ledge'. Feel around and you should find it.

I know this goes against the normal responses of loading up the parts cannon and shooting it at the problem... But have you used a test light or voltmeter to check if you have power going to the switch? Coming from the switch? etc?

9C33635D-152A-40D9-94F8-1E3090808620.jpg

Disturbing wires...big mistake,LOL!! :poke:
Two places you just dont get into...your mother's purse and under your dash. :lol:
Roger that!
Just finished replacing the dash pad, dash lights, radio and speakers in my Monaco.
Everything not steel under the dash is dried out and brittle. Wire insulation, speaker cone, plastic defrost ducts, dash pad foam etc. Handle with care or start looking for replacements.
FWIW, having a complete spare dash was a tremendous help in finding hidden screws etc. without laying on my back with a flashlight disturbing things un-necessarily.

Found it thanks, it was located on the ash tray section of the car.

Reconnected the flasher. I hear it clicking when I engage the turn signal level but lights do not work. Put a tester to the output line from the switch and i have power going in and power come back out. That's as far as time permitted me to get.

Reconnected the flasher. I hear it clicking when I engage the turn signal level but lights do not work. Put a tester to the output line from the switch and i have power going in and power come back out. That's as far as time permitted me to get.

Check the fuse.

Do you have stop lights?

Back