Turning signals don't work

vdk2010

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a friends '70 Imperial for the next 4 weeks and today the turing signals stopped working. I used the hazard flashers and after that, the normal left/right signals stopped working. The flasher is still working tho.

And ideas what's the issue here and what to check first?

Causes could be: Bulbs, grounds, connections at sockets, connection at steering column (most likely), turn signal switch.

I'd check power at the column connection first and if there's power going in and coming out I'd work my way out to the bulb sockets.

I would check the flasher. Chrysler used two flashers: one for the directionals and the other for the hazards. I don't know where they are located on an Imperial, but you may be able to swap them and see if it makes a difference. Typically they are two-prong and cylindrical; sometimes rectangular.

flashers.jpg

Causes could be: Bulbs, grounds, connections at sockets, connection at steering column (most likely), turn signal switch.

I'd check power at the column connection first and if there's power going in and coming out I'd work my way out to the bulb sockets.

I would check the flasher. Chrysler used two flashers: one for the directionals and the other for the hazards. I don't know where they are located on an Imperial, but you may be able to swap them and see if it makes a difference. Typically they are two-prong and cylindrical; sometimes rectangular.

Thanks!

I found the problem(s). First was a broken cable on an plug in fuse adapter to the turn signal relay. And the second problem was a shot relay... I switched the relays for now and its working. derectionals are priority number one until I replaced the broken relay.

2016-06-04 18.35.51.jpg

Back