UNBREADED! '71 Monaco Wagon

Took it for a short drive, ten miles, and it overheated. Let it cool down some and headed for home, but didn't make it far as it was still hot. I pulled into a store where I could get some water, and discovered a small crack next to the upper hose. Forty minutes later and a gallon of water and I was headed home, again. She was whistling as I rolled into my town, and was steaming after I parked.

PXL_20230526_213658393.jpg

I have the aluminum radiator I installed in the Cicada Monaco 500, so that will go in. I'll only have Thursday and possibly some time on Friday to work on it, so it will be another thrash to get it ready for the show on Saturday.

My drive did point out the need to swap out the tie rod ends, she's got a little slop in the steering.

Old radiator out, 3/8" rachet 7/16" socket, 6" extension, flat blade screwdriver, 1/2" wrench, 5/8" wrench (copyright @1970FuryConv )

PXL_20230528_023027108.jpg

Newer radiator in.

PXL_20230528_025815771.jpg

Sucked I had to take the battery tray out to get the old unit out, but not a big deal, I'm just used to my Slabs being able to slide past the tray when swapping radiators. Also sucks the damn hood latch hangs so low, I tagged it twice, right off the bat. Wyatt got to hear me ***** about it, but those things hurt! Kiddie pool noodle is on the list. I might throw a shroud on it, but I need to find some nuts, not sure if I have any.

Last edited:
Old radiator out, 3/8" rachet 7/16" socket, 6" extension, flat blade screwdriver, 1/2" wrench, 5/8" wrench (copyright @1970FuryConv )

View attachment 599155

Newer radiator in.

View attachment 599156

Sucked I had to take the battery tray out to get the old unit out, but not a big deal, I'm just used to my Slabs being able to slide past the tray when swapping radiators. Also sucks the damn hood latch hangs so low, I tagged it twice, right off the bat. Wyatt got to hear me ***** about it, but those things hurt! Kiddie pool noodle is on the list. I might throw a shroud on it, but I need to find some nuts, not sure if I have any.

How much for the washer bottle? :poke:

Scott you left yourself wide open on that one. Would have been even better if you were searching for ball bearings.

Threw in some coolant, and of course, the water pump is bad. :BangHead: So the shroud will be going on as the fan is coming off. Just need to find a pump in my stash, or order one and get it Wednesday night.

I've posted a couple of pictures, thought I'd get around to starting a thread for my '71 Monaco wagon, which has picked up the name UNBREADED! thanks to Wyatt @71Polara383 and a certain YouTube stream.

I got the car at the beginning of April, out of Idaho. Also got two dogs along with the car. They were going to go to a shelter, as the seller was moving and couldn't take them with him, and I couldn't let that happen.

View attachment 553975

Winston on the left, and Romeo on the right. Great travel companions, they behaved very well.

I rented a truck and a U-Haul trailer, and the wagon towed like crap from Idaho all they way to eastern Wyoming, then it settled down a bit, and I was able to go faster than 65. Glad I've towed with these U-Haul trailers before, or I'd have had such a deep pucker, I'd have sucked the seat cover in!

Stopped at Devil's Tower for the required photo shoot. Third car I've brought there.

View attachment 553976
View attachment 553977

I don't know why people west of the Mississippi say going to Carlisle is so far, it's right here in eastern Wyoming.

View attachment 553978

Made another tourist stop in Mitchell South Dakota, at the Corn Palace.

View attachment 553979

Made it 17 miles from home, and I had to stop. I was holding my eyelids open so I could stay within the lines. Pulled off to go home, and ducked into a Walmart parking lot for some much needed shut-eye. I'm not as young as I once was, but after a short nap, I was home. Dogs got to test out the couch they would instantly claim.

View attachment 553980

They look so innocent, don't they? Romeo was 9 months old, Winston a year and a half. Romeo is working the puppy out, but he's still got plenty right now.

The next day we all loaded up for a day trip down to Rockford IL, to drop off the wagon with Wyatt. I had little to no space, and very little time, and Wyatt knows these cars much better than I do, so I dropped it off for him to go over.

View attachment 553983

As you can see, there were plenty of parts in the wagon, some for the wagon, most for '70 model year cars. I gave the '70 stuff to Wyatt.

View attachment 553982

At this time, the drivers rear door didn't open, the tailgate glass didn't operate, the dash pad was roasted, and the dash faces were bad, or missing. The heater control was also bad, and the radio was sitting in a box. @70 Sport Suburban Manny hooked me up with a sweet dash pad and dash faces and some other bits, got the door to open, and fixed the tailgate operation. A big thanks to Manny and Wyatt for getting that done.

Next up for Wyatt was the drivetrain. He got the car started and running. It purred like a kitten at idle, and even moved under it's own power. A 383-2 car, it's not the fastest, but it does have a 3.23 rear gear. It developed a lifter noise after warmup. Nothing at idle, but under load, there was some noise. And the oil light would come on. Cooled down, it was fine and no light, but once warm...

I got a chance to drive the car when I went down for @sixpkrt Tim's 6th annual C body show in June, and got to experience the lifter noise just as we were getting back from a loop around the shop. By this time, it was wearing new temporary shoes. They will end up on another car of mine, when the permanent wheels are back in stock. But it looks great for now! Brakes function as they should.

View attachment 553985

So I went back home, and we waited for Wyatt to try some "magic" to get that lifter to shut up.

View attachment 553986
Great story and pictures! Thanks for post and great wagon!

Old water pump out, new one waiting to go in. I had to do through my parts to find a gasket. It was past ten o'clock when I finally found one, so I scraped off the old gasket and called it a night. I'll get some sealant and put it on tomorrow after work. Drive it by Thursday and make sure it's ready to go.

Is there no gasket in the box when you buy a new pump ?
Or is that just with a fuelpump....

Threw in some coolant, and of course, the water pump is bad. :BangHead: So the shroud will be going on as the fan is coming off. Just need to find a pump in my stash, or order one and get it Wednesday night.
Most of the quality parts that you need should be referenced in Medina's thread, with links. Can vouch for the parts after many thousand miles put on in the past 4 years.

Is there no gasket in the box when you buy a new pump ?
Or is that just with a fuelpump....
I had a pump I bought off a member, and a gasket with another pump I found later. Too many parts in different locations.

More moonlight motor madness.

PXL_20230601_041139846.jpg

I waited until it cooled down some and went out to work on the car as the neighborhood went to bed. Still humid but I got it back together. No shroud, the ones I have don't fit the radiators, too wide for the aluminum, and wrong mounting for the one I took out. They will still work on other cars, I think.

PXL_20230601_041058503.jpg

Heading out to grab more coolant, top it off and go for a drive.

Last edited:
I somehow missed this thread, I knew you had the car though. The pups look very happy with you

I love that aluminum radiator! It runs nice and cool, just like it did in the Cicada. But the steering is getting noticably worse, it wanders enough that I didn't take it to Mopars in the Park. I was worried about intermittent brake lights, and a stumble in the carb, but the steering had me more concerned. There was enough factors for me not to take it, just had a feeling. I'll get it sorted out in the next week or so.

I love that aluminum radiator! It runs nice and cool, just like it did in the Cicada. But the steering is getting noticably worse, it wanders enough that I didn't take it to Mopars in the Park. I was worried about intermittent brake lights, and a stumble in the carb, but the steering had me more concerned. There was enough factors for me not to take it, just had a feeling. I'll get it sorted out in the next week or so.
Better safe than sorry.

Can you share some details on the aluminum radiator? I am thinking of going to that. I have an aftermarket “looks OEM correct” radiator from a B-body supplier. I’m thinking of going to something more modern.

Can you share some details on the aluminum radiator? I am thinking of going to that. I have an aftermarket “looks OEM correct” radiator from a B-body supplier. I’m thinking of going to something more modern.
I got it with an engine I purchased. No name brand, said china in big letters on the box. Cicada had a weeping radiator so I put this one in. I expected it to be junk, honestly. Gauge went from the halfway mark down to just above the low end of normal. Never had any issues in the summer, and I drove that car a lot.

Wish I knew a part number, I'd buy half a dozen of them.

Last edited:
Hopefully you'll get your wagon figured out. That way you can get over to Albert Lea for the Legion's 4th of July show. And I can see this beast in person.

Back