Uninformed vendors

MoparMike

Reaction score
I have run into several "issues" dealing with vendors during the restoration of my 65 Monaco. Many vendors don't realize that several models that were B bodies in 1964 became C bodies in 1965, Polara and Fury immediately come to mind. When you call to confirm availability and fitment for your particular car they will tell you it fits and then it doesn't. I called to explain this after getting an incorrect trunk seal. The customer service representative that answered the phone admitted to only having being on the job for 3 days and that she knew nothing about cars. I should have know better as the seal was listed for a 65-67 Polara, but bodywise they are the same car. It also took several vendors and several phone calls to find a headliner. In the end I didn't find one, more like I sent the manufacturer mine and they made a pattern from it. Having a 65 parts are hard enough to find.it is all the more frustrating when you think you have found a part only to find out it is wrong once it arrives.

The people who work for the vendors are NOT the people who wrote the catalogs, who used to work there, I suspect. The presumption that whomever you talk to on the phone knows cars, and the one you have, can be incorrect also. Realize, too, that THEY are looking at the same catalog YOU are looking at, so they have no insights or similar to add to the situation.

At THIS point in time and forward, always presume the customer service rep has no personal knowledge of what you are seeking to get parts for, period. All of the people "who might have known something" have retired or are getting ready to, I suspect. Just the reality as I see it, BUT there can be exceptions to that, too. When you might encounter somebody who seems to know something, and you find out they DO know something, continue to patronize them, but always carefully until you build a good working relationship with them over time. Always ask for them if you need any help or other parts, too. It MIGHT be that everybody there "knows something" (which is great to find), but do NOT presume they are all working from a "community knowledge" situation of sorts. Allow them to prove it to you, respectfully.

As for weatherstrips, they should have some cross-sectional illustrations in the back of their catalog which can be compared to what is on your car. Especially if they also sell "roll goods", which is what the rear deck weatherstrip is sold as, just that they pre-cut it to length rather than by the foot.

This issue is NOT only in the Mopar hobby, by observation. Almost everybody has Chevy parts, but some of those Chevy parts will also fit other GM cars of a particular platform. Ask them if their parts (mechanical or weatherstrip) will also fit a similar Buick, they'll automatically say "No", although the casting number on the part is clearly the same on the Buick as their Chevy part has. In reality, this particular example can be variable, so if THEIR catalog says it does not, it does not. FWIW

So, look for the same part at different vendors' online catalogs. You might discover that what one place has, another one does too, which means one might be the actual producer of the part and the others are just re-selling it (after buying it from the other vendor or the same producer). IF you can determine whom the main producer is, that's where you might find the most aware employees. Asking the rep where they get the part can result in variable results, too.

Sometimes, you can get a good idea of "what's out there" from the online catalogs at www.rockauto.com. Otherwise, some of the better restoration vendors' websites, too, even if what they say they sell might not be for your specific vehicle.

Just my experiences and observations,
CBODY67

the other joy is the fact that the b body cars are where the money is , and the only reason some stuff is available for us is that it fits our cars as well as the b bodies it was produced for...but the vendors have no idea that it interchanges nor do they care to update their listings if we tell them it does

the other joy is the fact that the b body cars are where the money is , and the only reason some stuff is available for us is that it fits our cars as well as the b bodies it was produced for...but the vendors have no idea that it interchanges nor do they care to update their listings if we tell them it does
One thing I learned a long time ago at swap meets, NEVER claim something to be true (to you) when the seller's "expert advisor" claims otherwise. No matter how much YOU might know and how accurate it is, the "expert advisor" will always be the default mode for the seller, as he trusts HIM more than somebody who just walks up and starts talking. IF the "expert advisor" has incorrect or heresay knowledge (which is also incorrect), YOU can't explain why what they claim to be accurate knowledge is incorrect. No how, no way. Best just to walk on and continue the quest for what you are seeking.

Yes, there are some B-body items which fit C-bodies, too. So shopping in those online catalogs can be helpful and productive. You might say, "That also matches what's on my C-body car", in the conversation and let it go at that.

Other than online or phone conversations . . . ATTEND something like the annual Mopar Nationals, Chryslers at Carlisle, or other major, yearly Mopar meets where vendors are present. THOSE reps will probably much more knowledgeable in what they are selling, what it fits, and such than others in their organization. If not everybody there, at least ONE person should know about "things" and possible interchangeability. PLUS, a good reason to go to the events, too! IF you might not need anything THEN, you might later! A definitely-great reason to get your "Mopar battery" recharged too. NOT hearing a mis-tuned Chevy have to rev it's motor to keep running in the staging lanes, is GREAT too!

From my experiences,
CBODY67

You guys should have heard the conversation between me and the CaddyDaddy Cadillac parts vendor when I ordered my replacement gears for my power vents.

I got a big "No Refunds!" speech when I told them it was for my Chrysler. I really don't think they believed me.

FYI, Chrysler used GM (Caddy) vent windows motors. I did find out that they swapped left to right though.

Back