Update on Cooper 235/75-15 whitewalls.

New cars are taking cues from the "Donk" car culture. So it seems.

Low profile tires do well on a skid pad. Manufacturers build cars to please idiot magazine and Internet reviewers who live in Mom's basement. Cars get low profile tires.

That said, I've come to believe a 28", 17" rim tire on a C-body is the best mix of handling/ride quality.

That said again, I'm running the aforementioned Mastercraft 235/75 WW on my '76 RMB, OTD for $320, and I am quite satisfied. I've been thinking of buying a dozen in bulk and hiding them from daylight. Is there an OK way to hoard tires?

New cars are taking cues from the "Donk" car culture. So it seems.
Unfortunately you're 100% correct.
These O-ring tires have no sidewall flex whatsoever so they ride like ****.
I understand we're heading back to non-pneumatic tires. Progress. Ha..:BangHead:

Low profile tires do well on a skid pad. Manufacturers build cars to please idiot magazine and Internet reviewers who live in Mom's basement. Cars get low profile tires.

That said, I've come to believe a 28", 17" rim tire on a C-body is the best mix of handling/ride quality.

That said again, I'm running the aforementioned Mastercraft 235/75 WW on my '76 RMB, OTD for $320, and I am quite satisfied. I've been thinking of buying a dozen in bulk and hiding them from daylight. Is there an OK way to hoard tires?

UV light is one of the biggest enemies of rubber. Cry-o-vac sealing them might be an added bonus.

Wave of the future.
hummer-wooden-tires.jpg

UV light is one of the biggest enemies of rubber. Cry-o-vac sealing them might be an added bonus.

Indeed. IF a big enough bag could be procured, it would guard against rubber-destroying oxygen. Furthermore, if one puts a CVP'd tire in the dark, now we're talkin preservation.

Holy sh*t I have to freeze them like Walt Disney's head?

Yes, but vulcanized.

55 gallon trash bags

Unfortunately you're 100% correct.
These O-ring tires have no sidewall flex whatsoever so they ride like ****.
I understand we're heading back to non-pneumatic tires. Progress. Ha..:BangHead:

Not to mention the cost of replacement. I see people around here driving huge 4x4 trucks as daily drivers. Can't figure out what they have for brains so pardon me if I offended anyone. Probably the biggest selling point is that the big black truck with the massive tires and the big black wheels look macho. Ever price one of those tires when it comes time to replace the OEM tires? Yikes! The same would hold for 19" passenger tires.

Our favorite C-body WW from Cooper has been discontinued under the Cooper brand.
The 235/75-15 WW is now available from Cooper under the Mastercraft label, which is manufactured by Cooper.
Some distributers are still showing the the Cooper brand 235/75 WW but it may be delivered as a blackwall which is still being manufactured under the Cooper label.
Found out the hard way this week when I went to replace two of my Coopers.
Order the Mastercrafts if you want WW.
Coke fueled Millennial MBA Marketing men. Phhhhtttttt, only gawd knows their logic... :rolleyes:

Mastercraft
View attachment 190328

Cooper (Discontinued)
View attachment 190329
I can't say I love or hate Cooper made tires. I have had mixed success with ride quality in the past... but probably something I could fix better with the RoadForce balancers we have now.

I'm trying out a set of Toyo's... and would consider the Hankook's as well. Toyo is sold through Firestone distributors, I'm hopeful that will help if I have on the road problems.

With my little fleet, I have been attempting to replace one set of tires and one battery each year... IDK if that will always work, but it beats the idea of a bunch of stuff needing to be replaced all at once.

Where did you buy the tires? I've been having a difficult time tracking some down. I'll be needing them for the wagon soon.

Where did you buy the tires? I've been having a difficult time tracking some down. I'll be needing them for the wagon soon.

Tell the tall guy with curly hair and glasses that I sent you. See if you can get a "group buy" price, I'm serious about bagging up a couple extra sets.

IMG_20180612_101553.png

Our favorite C-body WW from Cooper has been discontinued under the Cooper brand. The 235/75-15 WW is now available from Cooper under the Mastercraft label, which is manufactured by Cooper.

Four years later, the Trendsetter is still available from Discount Tire. Are we sure it's not been reintroduced since then?

My Hankooks ride much better than the Coopers. The difference was significant.

They will also wear longer than the coopers. My issue with Hankooks is ...1, their appearance, sidewalls are to busy to look period correct, and 2, I could never feel right with an Asian tire on my Detriot iron.
The 10K mileage advantage of the Hankook over the Cooper means nothing to me, and I drive my cars, a lot. Likely they will become outdated before wearing out.

The 225/75-15 Hankook H714 on my 1971 Chrysler 300 saved my car's live in at least one, if not several, panic stops in the rain on the Autobahn. This is one good tire.

Back