Used Car Prices

Gotcha, so The Charger for John's knees not Stan's knees.?
Correct.
My body is crumbling but as long as my left knee keeps bending.
It killed me to cut Peter some slack on his automatic Challenger but I understand...
And YOU. We'll never agree on this. :lol:

Go ahead with all the insults you want, just don't give me the "buy American" crap. Here's a picture of the sticker on a 2021 Classic Ram 1500. 44 fuckin% American parts.
PXL_20210419_203307517.jpg

Go ahead with all the insults you want, just don't give me the "buy American" crap. Here's a picture of the sticker on a 2021 Classic Ram 1500. 44 fuckin% American parts.
View attachment 454377

That sticker is also common on Dodge Ram Trucks and some Jeep models as well and they also use ZF German transmissions that are also assembled in their Saltillo and Toluca Mexican plants. Insiders that I still know in FCA (Chrysler) still maintain that their highest quality vehicles come out of their Mexican plants.

Sure we can support companies with headquarters based in the U.S. but even the FCA vehicles now owned by Stellantis are headquartered in Europe but the FCA brands currently sold in the U.S. are still headquartered in the U.S. (Michigan) - but that will also be changing in the future due to the need for greater economies of scale. So everything is blurred and buying "American" almost has no meaning anymore.

The mantra is simple really, either you build the most competitive vehicle in terms of quality, performance, technology, durability, styling, price or whatever or you go down the rabbit hole. Toyota remains strong, Hyundia/Kia is making inroads with styling that Toyota can't duplicate and value that they are having a hard time competing with as well. Honda seems to be losing ground and is teaming up with GM on electric vehicles by using some of their EV platforms going forward.

In any case, U.S. consumers are increasingly just buying what they perceive as the best product for the buck.

I still get some of my pension from the old Chrysler Corporation and so I will always buy from their lineup out of vehicles but I probably bought my last new vehicle 24 years ago and it still performs amazingly well.

Enjoy your new Kia Chris! And all the guys on this site that buy Dodge Rams and Jeeps, I also hope you enjoy them too!

The world is constantly changing and us older folks need to accept that reality and let go of our old thinking for our own good. We are largely becoming less of a factor in a new world and a more dangerous one.

I am thankful I wasn't born any later than I was, nonetheless....................................................

That's not a truck you bought. Compare it to a Dodge car, say, a Charger since it's here in the thread.

I was looking into a '17 sublime Challenger GT w/ 70,000 miles, they're asking 25k. Hell my current Challenger only has 7,000 more miles and is a '10.

That's not a truck you bought. Compare it to a Dodge car, say, a Charger since it's here in the thread.
Comparably priced Charger has 15% more North American content but transmission is made in Germany and final assembly is in Canada. My Kia Has it's engine and transmission made in America and is assembled in Georgia. No offence to our canadian members but when you're talking American made Canada doesn't count. I know someone will bring up where the money goes but between Diamler, Fiat and Stelantis I can't consider Chrysler an American company anymore.
PXL_20210419_220125436.jpg
PXL_20210419_215846715.jpg

Last edited:
Comparably priced Charger has 15% more North American content but transmission is made in Germany and final assembly is in Canada. My Kia Has it's engine and transmission made in America and is assembled in Georgia. No offence to our canadian members but when you're talking American made Canada doesn't count. I know someone will bring up where the money goes but between Diamler, Fiat and Stelantis I can't conView attachment 454388 View attachment 454389 sider Chrysler an American company anymore.

I preach Buy US but in reality I include Canada In that statement.

I bought the Stihl chainsaw as noted in another thread, made in the US but its a German company.

I simply don't like the girlie car you bought.

@azblackhemi -- congrats, great color and sharp looks!

As to prices. Well, allow me to submit one data point in the opposite direction.

I helped a friend buy a brand new car last weekend. 2021 VW GLI S. Very nice car IMHO. He paid $23.6k out the door. The sticker was $27,340k without tax/tags: taking those into account, my friend got the car for 20%+ under list.

He got no special deal: he just reviewed the prices advertised on the internet by various dealers, walked in for a test drive, and made an offer $1k below that. All he needed was a clear idea of what he wanted (stick shift and good handling), a checkbook, and the willingness to walk out. No financing to boost costs. Done in 2 hours.

This is an anecdote, of course, but what it illustrates is that bargains are still to be had out there. That may not be true everywhere in the country (I would not dream of a similar discount in Southern Florida, for example, as the competition there is much reduced) but the area where he bought the car is doing rather well economically. And as to buying a manual transmission "that no one wants" -- there were only two stick shift car in stock within a 50-mile radius of his location.

No stick in any Charger. I'm just taking Big John's knee into account.
Mrs. Big John isn't real good with the cars with 3 pedals. I've already taught one wife how to drive a stick and at this point in my life, I'm not teaching this one.

I was thinking 300... but hadn't given the Charger any thought.... Hmmm.... I'll have to look at this.

I was thinking 300... but hadn't given the Charger any thought.... Hmmm.... I'll have to look at this.
Both are nice cars. Different beasts though: I’d suggest that you rent each for a couple of days. You can’t rent a 392, but you should be able to reserve a 5.7, on the Charger with Hertz. I did that a couple if years ago — it was an eye (well, ear) opener for me re: noise. Loved the looks, seats, and grunt — but not the constant roar. The 300 ought to be much quieter if you can live without the 6.4. Also AWD might be a plus where you live.

The 392 is overkill. The 345 is plenty quick enough . Fuel economy is much better also.

Both are really nice engines. I just wish Chrysler/FCA/Stellantis offered a quieter exhaust and better sound insulation on the Charger. If they did, I’d have bought one a couple of years back.

Both are really nice engines. I just wish Chrysler/FCA/Stellantis offered a quieter exhaust and better sound insulation on the Charger. If they did, I’d have bought one a couple of years back.

They are but no one is buying the 392 for quiet.

For my purposes, the Charger is tiresome for long drives, and it is unpleasant to hold business calls / telephone conversations in it on the highway. 5.7 or 6.4, same thing. Get the right 300, and that should not be an issue.

Then you really couldn't handle the Challenger. The more rumble the better and the wife handles calls just fine.

I know. That was my first choice till I spent three days with a Chally R/T. Loved the car, could not live with it.

Back