Used Car Prices

Back to the initial topic of used car prices. Indeed, they are red hot.

Last edited:
Great Day We have a 09 Charger Superbee 6.1 we drove it from Idaho to Syracuse NY only Fuel and potty stops. The drive was enjoyable, seats comfy mileage 22-24 but we both thought that it was too quiet with the stock exhaust. Our other newer cruising car is a 2002 300M Special. These will be the newest cars that we will own, as newer rides cost more than I want to spend.

Hi Chris, those seem about as good a bargain as you can find in a new car... IMO lack sex appeal, but not so ugly you have to hide her from your friends. I've been in a couple that impressed me how far Killed In Action has come from their earlier offerings.

I still couldn't buy a new car and live with myself, but every so often when I think of making a change that would involve driving lots of miles, I look at what "disposable" cars are available for a payment someone could justify.

Local note for KIA, they don't seem to have anyone who can fix them if/when something goes wrong that requires skill to diagnose or repair.

$2,700 out the door and nicely broken in at just over 100k. New car for me? Absolutely flucking not...ever!:D
B473A5D7-95FC-460F-8B61-741692C9DA5C.jpeg

OK, dumb question....
The cars listed on the Dodge site are model year 2020. What about 2021? No 2021 Chargers?

Or is this how the game is played now?

I'd take a Charger over 300 on looks alone. There's all these ways you can spec the appearance options and make your Charger look like a bad *** 1 of 1.
Luxury option items can be spec'd out almost identically.
I saw a monochrome white Charger with a black contrast scheme today and it was insanely beautiful.

Congrats on the purchase...they really are nice cars.

I refuse to drive a car named KIA. Never will happen.

One of our numerous toll road in OK is called the Kilpatrick Turnpike. I refuse to drive turnpikes, and especially on one that wants to kill me. What would be truly ironic, would be me driving a KIA on the Kilpatrick Turnpike. That has the same chances of me settling on Mars.

I'd take a Charger over 300 on looks alone. There's all these ways you can spec the appearance options and make your Charger look like a bad *** 1 of 1.
Luxury option items can be spec'd out almost identically.
I saw a monochrome white Charger with a black contrast scheme today and it was insanely beautiful.
We were kicking the idea around last night. It might be the way to go... My oldest son has a friend selling at the local dealership and I may talk to him.

The one thing I really want is AWD. If I'm going to drop that much change, it's gonna be AWD. We had a Ford Edge with AWD that was fantastic to drive in the winter and I've even thought about going back to something like that... Problem is I really like a car over a crossover or SUV. I did ride in my son's Edge a couple times and they redesigned the interior to the point of where it's more comfortable than ours was, so that still pops up on my radar.

If Ford still sold the Taurus, I'd be thinking about one. I've got a good Ford dealership near me... This Dodge dealership is unknown territory... The Chrysler/Dodge dealers around here have gotten pretty bad. I swore off Chrysler products because of quality and really crappy dealerships. It may be redeeming to some degree that most have gotten absorbed into some giant corporate multi brand "super store" but that is probably going to be pure hell for me... The Ford store is still owned locally and at least they give the illusion of caring.

My nephew is in the marketing food chain for Nissan. I can easily save $$$ on a new Nissan, but they all seem to have the CVT only now, and no true automatic or manual in cars. I like the Maxima, but having owned a 2008 Altima, I think I'd rather have something other than that, if I were to actually buy new again. The CVT in it was OK, but it's not what I want. I traded that Altima with 99K on it, and put maybe 20K on the car, total; both as my daily and as our road trip car.

I do like the VW DSG trans in my Passat TDi, which is a two-clutch shiftable automatic, with Sport mode. The new '21 Passat is a pretty damned nice car, but if I were to go VW again, I'd probably step up to the Atlas. Yeah, it's an SUV, but a really nice one.

I like the Charger over the 300, as well.

OK, dumb question....
The cars listed on the Dodge site are model year 2020. What about 2021? No 2021 Chargers?

Or is this how the game is played now?
The inventory on the 2020 models is still quite heavy John so I assume they are trying to shrink it for the Dealers stuck with them.

The inventory on the 2020 models is still quite heavy John so I assume they are trying to shrink it for the Dealers stuck with them.
I see only $3k in difference, at the most, between 2021 and 2020 incentives. That may help, but not massively I would suspect?

From what I recall, when a car is delivered to a dealership, the clock starts ticking on the time that the vehicle can remain at the dealership gratis. Once that period has lapsed, the dealership is charged essentially rent for the car to remain there unsold.
I bought an 03 F-250 that had sat on the lot for months. I got nowhere with the salesman that first approached me. Not until I spoke to his manager, did I strike a deal.

A USED 2020 Redeye with 1567 miles for sale for $76,000. Prices not dropping even for these cars....

Screenshot_20210421-163945_Facebook.jpg

So here is my perspective from inside the system....

Currently most manufacturers have shut down several assembly lines due to the semi-conductor shortage. We can not build anything that requires higher functions like lane departure, collision avoidance, passive key entry. Stellantis has even stopped shipping 2 sets of keys with the new vehicles. There is a huge inventory shortage across all makes and models in North America. We can't get trucks, Jeeps, Vans or Cars. Specialty vehicles like SRT models are off line for the immediate future. Sterling Heights has over 600 workers off due to COVID. What this all adds up to is a SELLER's market. I am not discounting any trucks at the moment as I can't get a replacement. Used vehicle prices have gone through the roof as well due to the lack of New Vehicle inventory. Plus we have all you Americans up here buying at the auction and paying way beyond market price using the exchange rate to their advantage. A rising tide lifts all boats analogy seems appropriate. So my advice is sell your beaters now but be prepared to pay for the new ride.

I am not discounting any trucks at the moment as I can't get a replacement (...) my advice is sell your beaters now but be prepared to pay for the new ride.
Gently used SUVs are indeed red hot, so I am doing the reverse -- selling my nice SUV and buying an older car :D

Seriously: if anyone wants to buy a one-owner 2018 Volvo XC60 with under 25k miles (98% highway), spotless, just serviced at the dealer, with full records and a one-day old full inspection report -- let me know via PM. The car will be 3 years old in a week and is currently in Illinois. I have two irresistible offers that expire next week from Carvana and Vroom, within $200 of one another -- but if a member is interested then I had rather go the private route.

PS: I'll remove this post if it breaks f o r u m r u l e s

Last edited:
My specialty version 2018 Southfork Laramie Ram does not have the Blind Spot Detection option. I really wished it had that feature! I don't know for sure but I think it wasn't an available option for that year. Not having that option would be the only reason for me to get rid of my Ram. Even with those gigantic mirrors sometimes I can't be sure the lane is clear. Don't get me wrong.... I do love this Ram! 1 of 113. My Redeye and Scat Pack both have Blind Spot Detection. I am thinking of buying a new 3500 Limited with a 6.7L with an 8 foot bed SRW so I can tow an RV. I can tell you for sure that I will not buy another Ram or car without the Blind Spot Detection option!!!

Last edited:
Back