Vibration

Driveshafts also can have an issue with being twisted. The U-Joints need to be inline with each other or you get a crazy vibration that's very hard to diagnose. I've been there and done that... But I also had a car that was capable of twisting drive shafts at the time.

If the shop is telling you the shaft is bent and "straightening" said bent shaft, it's time to get a shaft made at a good driveshaft shop. They will get the alignment and balance right.

Any of these trans mounts will work. If your shop couldn't find one, it's time to find another shop.

1966 PLYMOUTH FURY 6.3L 383cid V8 Transmission Mount | RockAuto
Thanks, but none of these will work. These are single bolt and mine is double bolt.
IMG_4845.JPG

how many times do we have to tell you. you don't rebend a bent driveshaft. wtf
Tell me again, Tell me again!!!! Shop specialized in drive shafts and was highly recommended by local classic car enthusiasts! wtf it took 80-90% of the vibration away and remainder appears to be transmission mount; based upon two different shops with one being the shop that worked on the shaft and the other a another highly recommended transmission shop which again, was recommended by several classic car enthusiasts so, wtf, I proceed to get the problem fixed. I am located in Phoenix with a ton of specialty shops but I have no alternative accept set the damn car on fire and call it a day which is not happening!

Driveshafts also can have an issue with being twisted. The U-Joints need to be inline with each other or you get a crazy vibration that's very hard to diagnose. I've been there and done that... But I also had a car that was capable of twisting drive shafts at the time.

If the shop is telling you the shaft is bent and "straightening" said bent shaft, it's time to get a shaft made at a good driveshaft shop. They will get the alignment and balance right.
Thanks, I will keep that in mind if the transmission mount does not resolve the problem - I just have to keep at it but the problem is locating the correct mount,

how many times do we have to tell you. you don't rebend a bent driveshaft. wtf

First you have to define "bent." I suppose straightening rear axle tubes isn't done either, right? My company works with a shop that has all the equipment to straighten axle tubes on rear ends and the front axles on the large trucks. They do get bent and throwing them away and purchasing new ones can get expensive, so why not straighten.

Rear axle tubes are also straightened on cars, especially if it is a rare & original piece to the restoration.

My guess would be if the same principals are applied to a rear axle tube, then it could be applied to a driveshaft. It was never stated it was folded in half bent or took a huge dent in the tube, simply bent ie, not straight. And what shop still in business would straighten a driveshaft, take your money, and send you on your way knowing that straightening the driveshaft was just a scam? Rather rough post/reply on your behalf livinincanuckland. Maybe we can all learn an alternative process BEFORE having to spend cash that is sometimes hard sourced for some of us in purchasing a new/replacement part, such as a driveshaft.

These replies are supposed to foster and support those asking for help, not treat them like idiots or cut them down. Ignorance can be cured with knowledge and guiding information. Stupid can't be cured. I'm thinking you fall into the "can't" category. WTF?

First you have to define "bent." I suppose straightening rear axle tubes isn't done either, right? My company works with a shop that has all the equipment to straighten axle tubes on rear ends and the front axles on the large trucks. They do get bent and throwing them away and purchasing new ones can get expensive, so why not straighten.

Rear axle tubes are also straightened on cars, especially if it is a rare & original piece to the restoration.

My guess would be if the same principals are applied to a rear axle tube, then it could be applied to a driveshaft. It was never stated it was folded in half bent or took a huge dent in the tube, simply bent ie, not straight. And what shop still in business would straighten a driveshaft, take your money, and send you on your way knowing that straightening the driveshaft was just a scam? Rather rough post/reply on your behalf livinincanuckland. Maybe we can all learn an alternative process BEFORE having to spend cash that is sometimes hard sourced for some of us in purchasing a new/replacement part, such as a driveshaft.

These replies are supposed to foster and support those asking for help, not treat them like idiots or cut them down. Ignorance can be cured with knowledge and guiding information. Stupid can't be cured. I'm thinking you fall into the "can't" category. WTF?
when was the last time a rear axle tube was spinning at a high rpm?

Thanks for the support Jim. It is difficult enough fighting old car problems without get insults that contribute nothing. Thanks again.

Thanks for the support Jim. It is difficult enough fighting old car problems without get insults that contribute nothing. Thanks again.
i was not trying to be insulting. just trying to be helpful. you nor can anyone else repair a driveshaft that is bent or otherwise damaged. the ends need to be cut off a new tube made and welded in and balanced. sorry if i insulted anyone.

Your car has a single bolt trans mount. Someone upgraded it to a Imperial services two bolt mount. Big waste of time just use the India made single bolt mount from any common auto parts. If your trans mount is failing that badly you have other problems.

Better yet... This is a good vendor. I think the B body is the same mount.

Here are the part numbers I came up with from a quick google search... Just have to see if they all cross over or interchange. 2265826; 2401653; 2460886; 2460888 Some time with the parts catalog is in order.

Mancini Racing Replacement Tranny Mount

Correcting a vibration is should be done in a systematic approach, at least that’s what I was told back in the day. If I read it correctly you said you ran the engine up to about 4000 rpm in park and in neutral with no vibration. As you stated the issue must be from the transmission back. Well you need to prove that. In park and neutral you are not turning the internals of the transmission. You really need to put the rear end of the car up on jack stands blocking the front wheels and run the car up to vibration speed. This can’t be done on a lift the car needs to be at ride height. After you prove the vibration is still there a couple of simple things can be done with a dial indicator. Remove the wheel and tires. Using the lug nuts to hold the brake drum on and run it again up to vibration speed. If it is gone it’s in your wheel and tire combo. Use a dial indicator to check the runout of the driveshaft that will prove if it is bent. The working angles of the driveshaft must be within specs. If your drive line shop is as good as I have read they should be able to help you. If they aren’t willing or unable you will need to find someone with the tools and knowledge to properly diagnose and correct this. I have spent many an hour fixing vibration issues when I was a line technician. One good source of information is the GM Vibration Correction 13002.02-5. Hope this helps

Remember we drive 50 year old cars:thumbsup:

Better yet... This is a good vendor. I think the B body is the same mount.

Here are the part numbers I came up with from a quick google search... Just have to see if they all cross over or interchange. 2265826; 2401653; 2460886; 2460888 Some time with the parts catalog is in order.

Mancini Racing Replacement Tranny Mount
Thanks John but didn't they didn't have.

Called Imperial Services and spoke with the owner, Steve. They are on order by them, approximately 2 weeks until they have. They build approximately 12 at a time, send them out for zinc coating and they then ship. He offered to build one by Tuesday of next week but would not be coated. I therefore placed an order for one. He commented these are hard to come by and go "like hot cakes". I am a little concerned about their reputation as noted on this forum and other reviews on the but covered by credit card and Paypal so not overly concerned. Steve very friendly and helpful.

Thanks for everyone's comments and suggestions. Unfortunately, I do have the equipment or facilities to do much of was suggested but hopefully I have found the right one and can have it installed. Will let everyone know how it comes out; vibration and all! Thanks again!

Back